A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

HID Headlights-Expert wiring and electrical advise needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlights-Expert wiring and electrical advise needed

I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.8 L Quattro Avant that came with Halogen Headlights which were destroyed by a collision with a deer.

The vehicle seems to have the HID wiring harness, going to the Headlights; it has all of the needed leads. I ordered Hella Factory Replacement Bi-Xenon Headlights. Leveling sensors & mounting brackets with connecting arms, and the control module is on the way from a number of different sources.

I have the Ross-Tech VCDS software and hardware to do VGA Diagnostics and adjustments. I believe that the needed double J123 Relay was standard on this vehicle and it should be wired in to the J218 Dashboard Display, There is an unterminated connector behind the Glovebox which I believe is the connector for the Range Control Unit, 4Z7907357.

The problem that needs to be solved is how to get this all working. I did an initial test by plugging in the left headlight connector to the new left Bi-Xenon Headlight. The directional signal light worked, and that is about all.

I noted the faint odor of heating metal/wires inside the vehicle. The test was only a few second, and no damage was done, but I need some expert advice on how to proceed to get all of these components working properly.

There is no going back, so please, I just need advice on how to do this.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BinsuJiro
I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.8 L Quattro Avant that came with Halogen Headlights which were destroyed by a collision with a deer.

The vehicle seems to have the HID wiring harness, going to the Headlights; it has all of the needed leads. I ordered Hella Factory Replacement Bi-Xenon Headlights. Leveling sensors & mounting brackets with connecting arms, and the control module is on the way from a number of different sources.

I have the Ross-Tech VCDS software and hardware to do VGA Diagnostics and adjustments. I believe that the needed double J123 Relay was standard on this vehicle and it should be wired in to the J218 Dashboard Display, There is an unterminated connector behind the Glovebox which I believe is the connector for the Range Control Unit, 4Z7907357.

The problem that needs to be solved is how to get this all working. I did an initial test by plugging in the left headlight connector to the new left Bi-Xenon Headlight. The directional signal light worked, and that is about all.

I noted the faint odor of heating metal/wires inside the vehicle. The test was only a few second, and no damage was done, but I need some expert advice on how to proceed to get all of these components working properly.

There is no going back, so please, I just need advice on how to do this.
You have the manual? Follow wiring diagram and run it exactly like that.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Real help needed for HID factory conversion.

Originally Posted by tester123
You have the manual? Follow wiring diagram and run it exactly like that.
Stating the obvious is not very helpful.

The wiring diagram in the Manual is helpful, but does not cover all of the potential problems that one might encounter.

It clearly does not contain the dealers data sheet and instructions for this conversion, which must exist since including some or all of the wiring makes this possible.

If you had direct experience with this conversion, and weren't willing to provide substantive information on the procedure, you should not have responded.

If you didn't, you should not have responded.

The purpose of the forum is to be helpful, and if you have knowledge about this conversion, please convey it.

And so, the call goes out for help again.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...Stating the obvious is not very helpful...
Well, obviously you are frustrated. What seems to be the issue? I'd think the wiring diagram (with HID option) should indicate what's required... Where exactly are you having difficulty?

I doubt many on this forum have this experience of converting halogen to HID (the stock way at least) and that includes me. So, if you think I shouldn't have responded, well, I replied with what I thought could help to guide. If it doesn't, don't worry about it; move on. No need to get all righteous here.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Stating the obvious is not very helpful.

The wiring diagram in the Manual is helpful, but does not cover all of the potential problems that one might encounter.

It clearly does not contain the dealers data sheet and instructions for this conversion, which must exist since including some or all of the wiring makes this possible.

If you had direct experience with this conversion, and weren't willing to provide substantive information on the procedure, you should not have responded.

If you didn't, you should not have responded.

The purpose of the forum is to be helpful, and if you have knowledge about this conversion, please convey it.

And so, the call goes out for help again.

Pbbbh.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tester123
Well, obviously you are frustrated. What seems to be the issue? I'd think the wiring diagram (with HID option) should indicate what's required... Where exactly are you having difficulty?

I doubt many on this forum have this experience of converting halogen to HID (the stock way at least) and that includes me. So, if you think I shouldn't have responded, well, I replied with what I thought could help to guide. If it doesn't, don't worry about it; move on. No need to get all righteous here.
I have almost all of the parts, except the kit to make up the contacts and insert them into the connectors. I have:

— The head light assemblies
— The front and rear sensor assemblies, including sensors, connecting arms, mounting plates, mounting hardware and blank connectors for the sensors
— I have the Control Unit (4Z7907357) and a mounting plate for mounting behind the Glove Box
— The connector for the Headlight Assemblies already have the required number of wires for the HID lights

It has been snowing a lot here and I have no enclosed space to work in, so I haven't gotten the Glove Box out yet or been able to determine how much of the wiring is pre wired for the HID lights. I don't know yet how the J123 double Lamp Control Module is wired in, but from what I have read there is a circuit in the ballast for the HID lights that mimics the presence of a head light filament so the module will not throw a bulb out signal with the gas discharge tubes, however I don't know if any of the leads need to be reassigned in the connector in the relay panel.

I know that the ECU will have to be coded for the presence of the new lights. I have a used ThinkPad for the vehicle Diagnostics via a Ross-Tech Hex-Can unit and their software.

I don't know yet if the wiring harness which does carry the correct number of wires from the headlight units has the complete set of wires which are taped over and not connected.

I wouldn't think that the level sensor wires are included in the harness, so that would be six wires from each sensor to terminate at the Control Unit (4Z7907357) which uses a 20 pin connector, leaving 8 pins to carry the signals to the rest of the lighting system. The fuses for the HID lighting are not wired into the fuse Panel, so the wires that provide the fused powered current to the system need to be wired into the panel and carried to the system.

Everything else is fuzzy; I know there has to be a conversion data sheet that dealers have for this conversion that show what is needed for the sensors to the control unit and the fuses to ... where ever.

So this portion is where I'm having difficulty, but that is made more complex by the fact that when the head light connector is unplugged from the existing headlights, the following items do not work:

— The feature that will raiser lower the window completely with a tap on the switch

— The feature that will unlock all the doors when the drivers unlock switch is activated

— and a number of other minor convenience items.

This confuses me.

Any suggestions that go beyond the manual and the wiring diagram to specific steps and instructions would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But you don't have the proper light switch as far as I can read and know, there is a reason for three types of switches.

4B1-941-531-F "NO"
4B1-941-531-B "NO"
4B1-941-531-E (Range Control Integration) like my 04 with HID leveling

Allroads have an adjustable range control wheel a different type probably for the ride adjust system.

I'm most sure this is correct.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
But you don't have the proper light switch as far as I can read and know, there is a reason for three types of switches.

4B1-941-531-F "NO"
4B1-941-531-B "NO"
4B1-941-531-E (Range Control Integration) like my 04 with HID leveling

Allroads have an adjustable range control wheel a different type probably for the ride adjust system.

I'm most sure this is correct.
I added that to the stuff I ordered,; should be here in a few days.

Now is there any info out there about the dealer data sheet that has instructions for adding these parts and wiring them in.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very interesting, but no answer.

[QUOTE=BinsuJiro; Now is there any info out there about the dealer data sheet that has instructions for adding these parts and wiring them in.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not sure how to answer that one or if I should even ask if your for real "dealer instructions" really? Hell those folks wouldn't share how you should change oil let alone factory upgrades with out them doing it.

Search the forums I'm sure someone has done it maybe six years ago.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Well I'm not sure how to answer that one or if I should even ask if your for real "dealer instructions" really? Hell those folks wouldn't share how you should change oil let alone factory upgrades with out them doing it.

Search the forums I'm sure someone has done it maybe six years ago.
Numbers, numbers, numbers! In a moment of dyslexia I reversed the "E" for an "F" in that switch part number.

I got a good photo of both and the pin out arrangement; the number coding on both switches are identical except for the second adjusting dial next to the Dashboard Light Dimmer.

The "E" has four pins out from the narrow connector on the side and the "F" has two additional pins in between the ones on the "E".

I have a complete wiring harness for a 100 Quattro Avant, which gives me enough wire and attached connectors to make-up missing components in the existing harness. And I can re-pin the plug in connector.

However, if you tell me it flat out will not work I'll just order the "E." The place I ordered from has a 30 day return policy.

BTW Did you know there is a law pending in Congress that will compel Auto manufacturers to make all of their repair and modification documents that are withheld from consumers available to their customers.