A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wear on inside of front tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 06:14 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wear on inside of front tire

I have a 2002 Audi A6 4.2 with sport suspension. I just switched over to my winter tires and wheels last night and the passenger side front tire evidently is rubbing on the inside upper suspension bracing. I just installed those tires in April and it is cut right down to the cord. Have any of you guys experienced that? Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TFT
I have a 2002 Audi A6 4.2 with sport suspension. I just switched over to my winter tires and wheels last night and the passenger side front tire evidently is rubbing on the inside upper suspension bracing. I just installed those tires in April and it is cut right down to the cord. Have any of you guys experienced that? Any idea what the problem could be?
If the tires and rims are right size for the car (I stress this with major emphasis) then you might have a lower/upper control arm ball joint worn, a worn wheel bearing or that side got knocked out of alignment.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

This has come up quite often over the years , although I am not sure what the route cause ended up being. if you do a search in the archives you will find others have complained of this.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It would really be helpful if posters at least responded back with findings instead of asking questions.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it looks like this, I have found that it is a combination of toe-in and negative camber beyond the factory spec. Check your upper control arm bushings.

I had this happen twice on my 02 S6. Both times only the drivers side front tire suffered the extreme inner shoulder wear. The first time the car was completely stock including the suspension. After the 2nd tire, the solution was zero toe and SPC adjustable upper control arms (by this time I had put ST adjustable suspension on it). I haven't had a tire issue in 4 years since installing the SPC CA's.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by OOOOya
If it looks like this, I have found that it is a combination of toe-in and negative camber beyond the factory spec. Check your upper control arm bushings.

I had this happen twice on my 02 S6. Both times only the drivers side front tire suffered the extreme inner shoulder wear. The first time the car was completely stock including the suspension. After the 2nd tire, the solution was zero toe and SPC adjustable upper control arms (by this time I had put ST adjustable suspension on it). I haven't had a tire issue in 4 years since installing the SPC CA's.

wow that looks like a real carve out.

upper control arm contact ?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, your upper control arm 'rod ends' are shot.

When it happened to me, it was at the same time of year - I was removing summer tires and switching to snows. I had watched the rod ends slowly go bad and knew they needed replacement. If I had known the 'variable toe' the worn joints caused was going to rub the tires, i would have changed them earlier - live and learn

I suspect the Sport Suspension option is more prone to this problem - I have that option also on my '01
Old 11-16-2015, 06:41 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

here are the photos of my tire. Audi says its tire failure, local tire shop says its a front end alignment issue.
Attached Images    
Old 11-16-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TFT
here are the photos of my tire. Audi says its tire failure, local tire shop says its a front end alignment issue.
Are the tires sized for the fitment on the rear door jamb tag?
Is the offset of the aftermarket rims the same as the factory rims??

You didn't answer this when asked and that leaves a big hole in eliminating other factors outside of what you've been told, tire shops will sell any tire that fits a rim and most will do very little research about an aftermarket rim.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 AM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
Are the tires sized for the fitment on the rear door jamb tag?
Is the offset of the aftermarket rims the same as the factory rims??

You didn't answer this when asked and that leaves a big hole in eliminating other factors outside of what you've been told, tire shops will sell any tire that fits a rim and most will do very little research about an aftermarket rim.

The original wheels were 17" x 8.5 with 255/40 17 tires

The current wheels are 18" x 8.5, same width, same offset as original
The current tire is 245/35 18, same OD. There is no tire clearance issue

Quick Reply: Wear on inside of front tire