A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

What next - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What next - need some help

Ok, so my car has been down for almost 2 months now. I have another car, so I haven't been pushing the issue, but it has been one thing after the next. I had tires go bad, so I went for an alignment and the shop pointed out that the camber was off and so I got new tie rods, new control arms, etc. When I went to replace the tie rods, fluid came POURING out of the boots and I realized that my rack was bad. So, I ordered a rack, got it in, got the control arms and tie rods in, etc. I went to start the car and the starter spun but no cranking from the engine.

So, I went to finish up the work I had replacing a coolant hose under the intake and replacing my spider hose....and tried starting the car again. Nothing.

My starter turns and I hear it spinning - but there is NO sound of cranking or anything. I have had the car up on jacks with the front end elevated quite a bit for over a month. I haven't started looking into this too deeply, but is there anything obvious you guys can think of?

It is so strange, the car suddenly seems cursed...
Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clarify. The solenoid does not engage at all? Or does it engage bit the motor spins freely (which i have had when flooded and the lifters for some reason do not pressurize for a while)?

If it really doesn't engage you have a bad solenoid, or if there is a separate connection a loose one. Did you replace it with the starter motor?

Sounds like a bad few months.

Grant
Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Just Me
Clarify. The solenoid does not engage at all? Or does it engage bit the motor spins freely (which i have had when flooded and the lifters for some reason do not pressurize for a while)?

If it really doesn't engage you have a bad solenoid, or if there is a separate connection a loose one. Did you replace it with the starter motor?

Sounds like a bad few months.

Grant
Thanks for the response Grant. The motor does not sound like it is spinning at all. The starter seems like it is spinning freely. I have not replaced the starter or touched anything related to it that I am aware of....
Old 05-24-2014, 05:03 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

If you need a starter, I probably have one that I can sell cheap.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks 4D4 - I am going to try to do some diagnosis today. Any suggestions on diagnosing? I am going to look at my Bentley ...but that is often lacking.

How much do you want for the starter? I haven't ever done a starter in this car, but I believe I have to pull the alternator first, correct? So service position, alternator, starter?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, could the fact that I have the nose of the car way up in the air be part of the issue?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, so I've done some more looking and it really sounds like the engine is NOT spinning but the starter is - but I am wrong. I opened the oil cap and I can see the cams spinning. So I guess I can rule out the starter.

I then pulled a spark plug and was surprised at the amount of oil that was in the valley. I changed the valve cover and associated gaskets about 20-30K miles ago, but I guess the spider hose issues may have blown some seals while it was happening.

I pulled a spark plug and grounded it to the valve cover and had definite spark.

My bet is the plugs are so fouled with oil from sitting their they aren't sparking while they are in the engine?

I'm thinking it is time for a new valve cover job (sucks since I did it with the belt not so long ago....) and then put it together and re-assess.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Guru

Nothing really. If the starter spins, it's getting power. I'll see what I have for starters. I'm thinking $25 plus shipping.

Yes, alternator must come out first. :-(
Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks 4D4 - it turns out I was wrong. I could only crank the car myself before, so my diagnosis was just based on sound. The engine is turning over when the key is turned, so I think that eliminates the starter, correct? I can see the cams turn through the oil filler hole.

It looks like the failed spider hose probably blew the newish valve cover gasket seals and I have massive amounts of oil going into the spark plug valley. I am GUESSING that when I had the car running I was burning it off and it wasn't causing a major issue. Now that it sat for almost 2 months, I think I probably flooded the engine with oil.....just guessing though...
Old 05-24-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Guru

That sounds better. Original scenario was uncommon.

Quick Reply: What next - need some help