A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

whats the advantage of biger wheels, from 16 to 18 for example

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interesting point about a larger patch affecting turn-in...

...but doesn't the stiffer sidewall of a lower profile tire offset this when going up in width AND diameter? When people upgrade their wheels, they tend to increase both.

I certainly notice improved turn-in with my summer wheels (17x8 BBS RKs with 235/45 tires) as compared to my winter wheels (16x7 OEM 2001 sport wheels and 215/55 tires). It looks like the lower weight of the wheels and stiffer sidewall of the low profile tires really do make up for any loss of turn-in performance that the wider patch may cause.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 AM

Default OLD FART!!!!!!!!!!! I resent that you wipper snapper, besides, I've bent a 17" rim..........

nows where my cane so I can whip this boy.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The wider patch helps turn-in, but the extra weight means the wheel itself doesn't turn as fast,

even if the car ultimately has more grip once turned. The difference between being fast overall and being quick on the draw:-)

Try paying attention to how quickly the steering wheel responds and with how much resistance, when you run lighter wheels. Sometimes people think the quicker turning of the steering wheel means less feedback, but if all other things are equal, the shorter sidewall and lighter wheel will always respond the quickest. If you have a light touch on the wheel instead of man-handling or expecting lots of kickback, you can learn all kinds of subtle things that might escape those who use the method of brute force. After all, the fastest driver on the track is usually the one who turns the steering wheel the least and the most smoothly in corners.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd be curious ....

how much of that "feel for the road" was the +1 change and how much was the undoubted upgrade to more performance oriented tires.

Both contribute - no disagreement on that point.

But for my curiosity - what was the size, make, model and speed rating of:

- the original set of tyres
- the repalcement set

Grant
Old 12-09-2006, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If ya get that picky it brings it to a whole different level which in the end

It is just your own perception. "butt dyno"

Went from: [Pre-Spring '06]

16" Audi Wine Glass Rims
205/55/16 "Big O" Touring All Season Tires

-to-

[Summer '06 to Dec '06]
17" Audi Gunmetal Five Spoke Rims [See Sig]
225/45/17 Kumho ECSTA ASX High Performance All Season Tire

I am actually going to see how this winter goes with DECENT winter tires:

16" Audi Wine Glass Rims
205/55ZR-16 Avon Tech M550 A/S
Old 12-09-2006, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's my exact experience... less weight and stiffer sidewall produce better turn-in.

I have the somewhat unusual situation of my larger wheels being lighter than my smaller ones. My 17x8 BBS RKs weigh less than my 16x7 OEM sport wheels because they are a particularly light design. So, when I switch to "summer mode" it's a really nice improvement -- better performance, better steering responsiveness, better road feel, and minimal loss of ride comfort.

I'm confused though...

In your earlier post, you say "the larger contact will help once it's turned, but initial turn-in is slower." In your later post, you say "the wider patch helps turn-in." There are logical arguments for either viewpoint... The former might be true given the reduced contact area that needs to be turned -- the extreme example being the responsiveness of a bicycle tire. The latter might be true given the additional traction cutting into the turn given the wider patch. Which are you saying is true?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sorry. I meant that most wheel size upgrades add weight. That means you must overcome more weight

based and and rotational based inertia (more mass is usually on the outer rim), to get both front wheels to turn in the desired direction. That's one action - made by the driver. Once the wheels are turned, the grip at contact patches determine how faithfully the tires can deliver on the driver's request. Driver's input, car's reaction. Both could be called initial turn-in. One a request, the other the actual delivery.

I wasn't clear. Sorry.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It costs people here in NorCal another $700 a year in car mainteance because of bad roads. Worst

in the country. Bent rims and bubbled sidewalls are just a fact of life if you go too large here. 17 is my limit for every day comfort. For cars that are designed from the factory to roll with 18s, it's another matter.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thx.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for theBig tire difference.

you see the diff right there

..Although you did not specify the speed rating of each - which correlates very well with sidewall stiffness, and thus steering response.

Dont think of this as picky - it probably is MORE signficant than the size change! That's my point.

Grant

Quick Reply: whats the advantage of biger wheels, from 16 to 18 for example