A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Where's all my fellas at??? I need to do brakes.....

Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where's all my fellas at??? I need to do brakes.....

pads are fine, but rotors.... well, lets just say I've had them for so long, the pads sit in the rotor, not on em, LOL.

Who around NYC has done a brake job on their Audi? Definitely something I'd try my hand at, definitely not something I'd try on my own single-handedly, LOL. But I'll be damned if I am going to shell out over $1k for stock fronts/rears and pads again.

I'm looking to do OEM, not go large, but drilled rotors in front, thinking Zimmermans, 332*30's is the size. I'm not auto-x-ing the car or anything like that so wanting to go drilled is mainly an aesthetic thing.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kgnast-Nemo4.2
pads are fine, but rotors.... well, lets just say I've had them for so long, the pads sit in the rotor, not on em, LOL.

Who around NYC has done a brake job on their Audi? Definitely something I'd try my hand at, definitely not something I'd try on my own single-handedly, LOL. But I'll be damned if I am going to shell out over $1k for stock fronts/rears and pads again.

I'm looking to do OEM, not go large, but drilled rotors in front, thinking Zimmermans, 332*30's is the size. I'm not auto-x-ing the car or anything like that so wanting to go drilled is mainly an aesthetic thing.
Google "Adam's Rotors", AudiZine guys seem to really rate his rotors high and they are custom made to OEM standards of quality. They come standard slotted for free but you can add dimpled or drilled or painted hubs for not much. $350 shipped for both fronts & rears. I'm actually just about to put an order in myself, just have to figure out which pads now, either Hawk HPS or Porterfields. Figure the parts with Hawk pads should be able $550 total, even if you did have a shop do it would it be more then 2 or 3 hours labor?

I'm trying to decided if I do them myself too, if you get yours done by yourself could you post any helpful hints or issuses you run into?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isn't changing rotors simple as butter? all you need to remove, that is after removing the wheels, is the brake calipers.... thats what it looked like to me.

but then again good luck removing the brake calipers without air tools, lol.

i might try again with some pb blaster and maybe i'll try the blow torch method too, lol.

i'm in nyc too, i have 321mmx30mm stock rotors, i'm still searching for the best price online to order rotors.

i like the zimmermann drilled rotors too, but there is 1 guy on ebay that has some drilled cadmium plated rotors. i think the zimmermann are zinc plated, cadmium is even better i think. but then again its an ebay seller, and i might be better off with the zimmermanns. if i only could find a slightly better price.

i also forgot what model hawk pads i have, i was sure i had ceramic, but i looked at ecstuning where i got them and they are expensive now, and i'm sure i didn't pay more than $100 back then. i know i wanted stoptech and i'm sure hawk is stoptech so i might have to take a pad out to check. they have crazy stopping power, but maybe they contributed to warping my rotors, we will see next time.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's a pretty straightforward job. I didnt' do rotors, but I've done them on older ones before.

I just did the Touareg this past summer and went through alretta - nice guy and quality stuff.

http://www.alretta.com/
Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I've done my car about 5 times, never did a 4.2 though

Originally Posted by Kgnast-Nemo4.2

I last had a set of Zimmerman slotted (purchased from ECS) they lasted about 4 years. Was satisfied but under heavy braking I had a rumbling from the front brakes. I later found that this was normal for slotted rotors.
If you want to, order up the parts and come to my house for the install. I've got a HD floor jack, stands and plenty of hand tools to do the job. It takes me about 2 hours to do all 4 corners, so with both of us, figure about 1.5 hours.
After you order your parts. Lemme know when you want to do the job. If you can wait till after Easter, you may even want to ship the parts directly to my house so you don't have to keep handling them. The rotors for these cars are really heavy.. BTDT
Old 03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Something to think about

Originally Posted by acarney
Google "Adam's Rotors", AudiZine guys seem to really rate his rotors high and they are custom made to OEM standards of quality. They come standard slotted for free but you can add dimpled or drilled or painted hubs for not much. $350 shipped for both fronts & rears. I'm actually just about to put an order in myself, just have to figure out which pads now, either Hawk HPS or Porterfields. Figure the parts with Hawk pads should be able $550 total, even if you did have a shop do it would it be more then 2 or 3 hours labor?

I'm trying to decided if I do them myself too, if you get yours done by yourself could you post any helpful hints or issuses you run into?
To be successful with your brake job you need a good floor jack (4-6 ton professional type), a variety of sockets/ratchets in 1/2 in drive, a breaker bar (to loosen those caliper bolts (on my HP2 brakes the factory tq spec is 150 ft./lb) the VW/Audi tool to retract the rear brake caliper pistons, and lots of patience. It's not difficult at all, but keep in mind that I was an auto mechanic in a past life, and have done everything other than engine swaps and tranny jobs in driveway. (I've never done a tb/water pump on the Audi though, just don't want to mess with it)
Remember to take your time and be careful.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lightweight rotors seem like a good idea. anybody make 2-piece rotors?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just ordered the zimmermann cross drilled, non-slotted... best prices I found were at, stopshopanddrive.com (where I ordered it from). and I'm getting them tomorrow, CRAZY FAST SHIPPERS!!!
I also saw them for a few dollars less on mjmautohaus.com but I already ordered them from stopshopanddrive.com and i'm happy they are coming tomorrow, but i still didn't choose my brake pads. I think I have hawk hps, but I'll check tomorrow and order pads tomorrow.

I say stick with stock size rotors but better quality, keep your calipers, and have good brakes like stoptech/hawk... the pads i have now are amazing!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mmm looks to have some terrible feedback anyway. I was going to buy my clutch from there but I don't feel like getting jerked around. I'll check out that stopshopanddrive
Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

i wish i saw this before, but mjmautohaus.com has a package deal on the zimmermann cross-drilled with Hawk HPS pads for $300 and free shipping.. Oh well, I overpaid by $40 bucks...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where's all my fellas at??? I need to do brakes.....