A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Wiper arm

Old 02-19-2015, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper arm

The wiper arms on my wife's A6 no longer seem to have the force required to push the wipers on the windshield the way they should.

Is it possible to replace the springs in the arms, if so does anyone have a source for them? (Doubtful)

If that isn't a possibility, I would guess I am stuck replacing the arms. I haven't looked at them too carefully, will I need a puller? What is the best place to go to source these arms (anything besides a dealer?)

I haven't had to source anything too Audi specific yet (other than the stupid lug cover removal tool, why Audi couldn't just put on nice looking lugs that don't require individual plastic vanity covers is beyond me) so this will be my first foray into the Audi parts scene.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
The wiper arms on my wife's A6 no longer seem to have the force required to push the wipers on the windshield the way they should.

Is it possible to replace the springs in the arms, if so does anyone have a source for them? (Doubtful)

If that isn't a possibility, I would guess I am stuck replacing the arms. I haven't looked at them too carefully, will I need a puller? What is the best place to go to source these arms (anything besides a dealer?)

I haven't had to source anything too Audi specific yet (other than the stupid lug cover removal tool, why Audi couldn't just put on nice looking lugs that don't require individual plastic vanity covers is beyond me) so this will be my first foray into the Audi parts scene.
This is not a common problem. I've only seen this once before in 15 years.
I just checked the force on my 02S6 and the wiper arm force is about 41oz driver's side and 36oz passenger side using a quite accurate postal digital scale.
I have the J-hook wiper blade assembly.

I suspect your wiper blade/assembly is worn out or something rather than the wiper arm spring.

ou can try ECStuning.com for replacement/upgraded wiper arm/package.

PS: The lug cover removal tool could have easily been fabricated with a needle nose pliers and a piece of coat hanger wire.
Attached Images  

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 02-19-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine has the individual lug covers, not one big one, so it needs the tweezer tool:

I managed to get them off once without the proper tool, and after that, I decided I'd shell out the cash for the actual tool. I do have the tool you showed in the image, probably because our car doesn't use that tool so it never got lost.

Getting back to my question: I suspect the previous owner propped the wiper arms upright as is sometimes the case here is snow country. It is an idiotic thing to do, but some owners do it religiously. The wipers are less than 6 months old, so I doubt they are the cause, and one would think that it would be the edges popping up (as is usually the case with old wipers) rather than the center. I do have a postal scale, so maybe I will compare my pressure tonight with yours.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks like ECS has what I need and is reasonable. Is there a way to edit posts on this forum, because I am sure not seeing it?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like ECS has what I need and is reasonable. Is there a way to edit posts on this forum, because I am sure not seeing it?
Before you fork out the money on something you don't need check out this link, your 03 more than likely does not have the J-Hook design.

Read, read, read: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...sorry-2877928/
Old 02-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Measured the wiper arms today at 555g (19.5 oz) on drivers side and 902g (31.8 oz) on passenger side. The passenger side mostly works when I press it into place, but the drivers side leaves a big triangular hole from rest to halfway up in the center of the wiper.

I still plan to try to lube the works up per jcman's suggestion, but I don't think that will be sufficient in this case.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Measured the wiper arms today at 555g (19.5 oz) on drivers side and 902g (31.8 oz) on passenger side. The passenger side mostly works when I press it into place, but the drivers side leaves a big triangular hole from rest to halfway up in the center of the wiper.

I still plan to try to lube the works up per jcman's suggestion, but I don't think that will be sufficient in this case.
My ebahn Bentley indicates no special tool needed to remove the wiper arm(s).

"Switch the ignition on.

Actuate the touch-wipe function to allow the wipers to move to the end position.

Note:

The wiper arms will now move into the line of view on the windshield (service position).

Remove the wiper arms caps.

Loosen the wiper arm nuts - arrows - several turns.

Loosen the wiper arms from the wiper axle by rocking slightly.

Remove the wiper arms nuts and the wiper arms from the wiper axles."

Looks like the arms are about $63 each from the dealer, there are two models for your car, one with a J-hook and the other with the pin mounting.

Search 2003 Audi A6 Quattro 5-AT 3.0L Parts like wiper arm
Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to follow up. I bought some new arms and the car wipes better than ever.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So what is the gm pressure with the new arms?

Just to follow up. I bought some new arms and the car wipes better than ever.
Or did you get new arms and new wipers (new style) as well?
Old 03-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Our car already had the newer style. I got replacement Bosch blades in December and the car wiped well at that point, but slowly got worse. New arms (same, newer style) and putting the 4 month old Bosch blades (still in great shape) made all of the difference.