A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Won't start, and RPM fluctuating

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start, and RPM fluctuating

Hello all!

I am completely new to the forum (to forums in general), so I apologize if I am breaking any rules or norms here. I have tried to find someone with the similar problem, but couldn't find anything.

I bought an Audi A6 2.8 V6 1997 (S-line?) this spring. I haven't had any problems with it during the summer, except from the occasional window squeak, but recently it's been acting up.

Like a month ago I was out driving, and I stepped on the clutch and suddenly the car started revving (2000-3000 rpm) like it was a sticky throttle. This started to happen more frequent, as well as I started having problems starting the car.

Like this morning: I started the car and it ran perfect. Pulled over at the petrol station, topped it up, got in and tried to start the car, but it wouldn't start. I can try starting the car for like 10-20 minutes, and suddenly the engine starts.

I'm getting a EODB scanner this evening, and I am changing the spark plugs tomorrow (which is full of oil in the tubes, btw). Do you guys have any idea? Because now I am crossing my fingers everytime I am about to start it up, and I have been doing so for over a week.

Sorry if my english is bad - I am Norwegian.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Solution

Just if anyone wondered:
The problem is solved. It turned out to be the Coolant Temperature sensor. I ran a diagnostic scan on the car, stopped by my local dealer and changed the part. Now it runs smoothly again!

And it is a C5, not a C4
Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Now time to change your valve cover gaskets. More fun.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thats great news that your back on the road. Thanks for the update. You will find this forum invaluable if your a new c5 owner. As johnkk said, it sounds like your valve cover gaskets are next. Do some searching, if your pulling the valve covers, theres a couple of other preventative replacements to do while your in there. 2.8 oil leak issues that are most common. Cheers.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also glad to hear you found the problem.

Just a bit info for you guys across the big pond, most of us here know about the model year platform type over laps from market to market, the problem is the info you will get from North American model members may not be relative based on our repair guides, module coding and featured options or equipment we have here.

But in any event for sure the CTS and CPS is one of the most common failure components that will act-up when hot and will not when cold throwing at times no CEL.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A BTW "by the way" I'm almost sure that most of the members here would of opted for a base engine manual C5 A6qt in a heart beat if they were available at that time new....nope the only one was the 2.7t C5 for North America and not even the almighty "KING KONG" 2003 RS6 with the unleashed V8 bi-turbo had a manual either, I guess the Audi marketing folks over here figured that the upper middle class and above don't like to play in the h-pattern with the right hand....dam shame.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by johnkk
Now time to change your valve cover gaskets. More fun.
Yeah, it looks like I will be having to change the valve cover gaskets, and oxygen sensor, cam shaft positioning sensor, brake discs, and the squeaky windows which occur on hot days... YouTube and this forum will be my best friends for the next weeks haha.

Thanks for the help and info guys! I didn't know until now that there was a difference between European and American models/marketing. Learn new things each day, I guess!

But I love the car, and I won't quit until it's "problem free"
Old 10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jcman
A BTW "by the way" I'm almost sure that most of the members here would of opted for a base engine manual C5 A6qt in a heart beat if they were available at that time new....nope the only one was the 2.7t C5 for North America and not even the almighty "KING KONG" 2003 RS6 with the unleashed V8 bi-turbo had a manual either, I guess the Audi marketing folks over here figured that the upper middle class and above don't like to play in the h-pattern with the right hand....dam shame.
We did get the 2.8 Sedan w/ a 5spd manual here -- just not that many of them.

Last edited by OGBULLYLOCDAWG; 10-02-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by OGBULLYLOCDAWG
We did get the 2.8 Sedan w/ a 5spd manual here -- just not that many of them.
You are right and I stand corrected, 5mt was available for the 2.8 only in 2000 and that's it except for the 2.7t as I mentioned.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bendiksandoey
Just if anyone wondered:
The problem is solved. It turned out to be the Coolant Temperature sensor. I ran a diagnostic scan on the car, stopped by my local dealer and changed the part. Now it runs smoothly again!

And it is a C5, not a C4
thanks for updating! Going through the same problem now! At first I thought it was fuel filter, fuel pump, I was at a loss! Thanks for saving me $450 Lol!