If you're getting insufficient flow CELs P1423 P141 1, some part of your SAI system is faulty. In my case the pump itself was seized up - you can do a simple check by running 12V directly to the pump. It should blow air like a regular hair dryer. Also check the air pump fuse (40A in the ECU box), mine was blown. In any case, new pumps run around $400, so rebuilding is the preferred way to go.
- Metric socket set
- Torx bit set
- PB Blaster
- Engine Degreaser/Carb cleaner
- Rust Remover spray
- Chain lube or something similar
1) Start off by removing the Ypipe and then unplugging the rubber/plastic T tube that connects the SAI pump to the combi valves. Unplug the electrical connector on the pump.
2)Undo the two 10mm bolts that hold the SAI pump bracket to the plenum. Also loosen the 10mm nut that holds bracket on the right side (kind of a pain to see). Now you should be able to wiggle the pump out of the bay.
3)Remove 3 round clips off the bottom of the pump and the bottom ring with the filter should come off (top right in the exploded view)
4)Remove 5 metal clips that hold the main assmebly together. Now the bottom half should come off (top, second from the right)
5)You should be looking at something like this:
Use cir clip pliers to remove the clip and then spray down the nut with PB Blaster. Give it 5 minutes to soak up and then remove the nut with a wrench and a screw driver.
6)Remove the small brass spacers and the first impeller/fan. The big black impeller (second from left, top) should now come off also
7)Spray a ton of PB Blaster on the long spacer, wait and then pull it off. It helps to use two wrenches for leverage. Once the spacer is off, the second impeller should come off
8)Unscrew the two Torx screws and pull the motor out:
As far as rebuilding goes, I used a combination or PB Blaster, Rust Remover, Carb Cleaner and Chain lube (in that order) to get it spinning freely. The motor in my pump was all sorts of rusted, so I used the rust remover was the key... but YMMV. It's a good idea to test the motor using the car battery to make sure it's actually working.
Also I used a bunch of RTV silicone to seal the motor from the rest of the assembly, hopefully this will keep the moisture away.
Finally a reference of how all the parts go together:
Year after the rebuild the pump crapped out again. The issue, as it turns out, is the bearing in the front of the pump motor( the bulge in the front face of the motor
). Interestingly enough you can find a replacement bearing in any hardware store - I was able to remove the old one and replace it with a 1/4" (if i remember correctly) bearing from Ace Hardware. Just take the pump motor with you to the store and buy the bearing that fits EXACTLY on the output shaft of the motor. Year later I'm problem free.