A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

'06 A6 Avant Navigation install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '06 A6 Avant Navigation install?

My '06 came w/o navigation. I'm starting to see these cars appear in junkyards and wonder what's involved in installing factory navigation. Will installing the Navigation unit w/proper DVD do it. Of course an optic cable would be needed to tie it into the system. Or, is there more wiring & VAG-Com coding involved?
TIA
Old 12-14-2014, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by stuffinder
My '06 came w/o navigation. I'm starting to see these cars appear in junkyards and wonder what's involved in installing factory navigation. Will installing the Navigation unit w/proper DVD do it. Of course an optic cable would be needed to tie it into the system. Or, is there more wiring & VAG-Com coding involved?
TIA
This is an extremely well documented question and a 5 second search will yield the answers you seek.

Essentially you need the DVD drive, the GPS antenna and appropriate wiring, and finally the actual DVD
Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stuffinder
TIA
No coding required. You just need to insert the necessary component (DVD player) into your fiber optic network and you should be good to go. kufatec sells a harness kit - your other option is ebay.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by am_ver
No coding required. You just need to insert the necessary component (DVD player) into your fiber optic network and you should be good to go. kufatec sells a harness kit - your other option is ebay.

I did this to my '06 Avant. All I did was install the dvd player and plug in a cheap aftermarket gps antenna from amazon. The plug was already available. You simply need to remove plug from the cable. That plug caps off the fiber optic cable and tells system that nav is not installed.

The harness kit was more expensive, I didn't want to tear apart the interior trim on my wagon, and I didn't want to risk having to replace the fin-antenna if it had leaked.

No issues whatsoever with reception. It seems to always have reception. I've never had a delay finding my position. I just tucked that antenna in the trim with the dvd player.