A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

06 Avant, Noob issues/ questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Avant, Noob issues/ questions...

I am now driving an 06 3.2 Quattro Avant.

I have been driving it for about 3 weeks now. My previous car was a passat that I ran over 200,000. I absolutely fell in love with the car at first sight, I drove over 300 miles to buy it. It is great, 9 years old, but looks like new. It drives great, but there are a few (minor) issues. Thank you to anyone reading this. If you can offer any advice it is appreciated. The issues/ questions are:

-I'm in NW Houston, any trustworthy mechanic shops?
-I started the car (cold start), drove to a gas station about 5 minutes away, after filling with gas the car wouldn't start, after some "sweet talking" and punching the gas, it started (this happened twice).
-I will change out air, cabin, and fuel filter. Any recommended place to buy OEM?
-The DVD for the nav is not working, I believe it is the drive itself, plan on cleaning it, anyone come across this?

Other than that, I am enjoying it and plan on enjoying it for a while.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on the new buy! I love these cars, they are one of the cleanest looking cars I've seen to date still.

Not sure about the not starting, but a new fuel filter is a great place to start.
Does your nav say "Not installed" or give you some error?

I recommend Genuineaudiparts.com, they seem to be the cheapest place i find OEM parts. I think its good to always stick with OEM
Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am 90 percent sure that in the N80 purge valve that is not working properly. When you fill the gas tank up, and the valve is no longer functioning, usually it gives a hard time to start.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drooskii
I am now driving an 06 3.2 Quattro Avant.

I absolutely fell in love with the car at first sight, I drove over 300 miles to buy it.
What? only 300 miles? I flew 1000+ to grab mine....j/k.
Ditto on the looks. The @ss end of the car (ok, wagon) is phenomenal to me.

PLEASE. before you do anything, pull the cover on the drivers side just forward of the hatch and look for signs of washer spray residue.
the 2006 invariably will fail the washer hose for the hatch and spew all over the bose amp, eventually turning it to a brick.

can comment on the hard start, sorry.
have fun with the new toy!
Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had mine from new (2005),now at 146,000 m,has been/is a fantastic car, still love it. May want to check when spark plugs were replaced, could try injector cleaner-VW part:G 001 770 A2 90 mL If the hatch doesn't open automatically all the way, the gas struts may be worn out- not that expensive to replace. Other than proper maintenance,oil changes (do mine every 7,000m), it has been problem free except wear/tear items. Note: 3.2l direct inj engine has timing chain and does not require replacement but at very high mileage the guides do wear out (frequent oil changes help to prolong life). The engine requires high rpm on a regular basis to ensure the valves stay clean bec of the direct inj. Driving in traffic tends to promote carbon build-up. Enjoy.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. The Nav says not installed, when I put a new DVD in the red light on the drive flashes constantly. The screen will read please wait, then go back to not installed.
There is no overspray from wiper fluid in the compartment. I am considering taking out the drive and cleaning inside it.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
PLEASE. before you do anything, pull the cover on the drivers side just forward of the hatch and look for signs of washer spray residue. the 2006 invariably will fail the washer hose for the hatch and spew all over the bose amp, eventually turning it to a brick. have fun with the new toy!
+ 1 on this one. If you find even a tiny trace of dry fluid over your amp, change the washing fluid hose on the D pillar to the trunk door hinge. If you don't find trace of fluid. Keep this in mind. Check from time to time to prevent a fried amplifier. This will save you a ton of $ and a trip to the dealer. If you have the bluethoot too, check for moisture on the carpet. Some drain can clog and water end up inside the car and can screw up the bluethoot module under the carpet in the driver side footwell. I got a water problem last year and it was coming from my roof bar. Thoses car are high maintenance car but they look gorgeous and they are the most fantastic drive I ever got. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One other thing I forgot to mention, it has died while driving at low speeds a couple times. Both times it started right back up. Hasn't done it in a week or so.

So as far as the wiper hose, was it a defect? If I buy a new one, does that eliminate the problem?
Old 02-14-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Post up mileage and maintenance history when you can.

yes, defect some fixed while in warranty, but not a 'recall' (no safety concern).
Countermeasure hose cut in sometime model year 2007 (or 2008, not sure).
mine is a 2010, but i still don't spray the rear washer--paranoid.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought it about 3 weeks ago with 72,000.

I don't have any info on maintenance history.

Quick Reply: 06 Avant, Noob issues/ questions...