A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 02:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
"See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Electrical Guides
"
Print Wikipost

2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything

This car which I have owned for 6 months has had this problem for about 4 months, where there is a high current draining the battery when the car is parked.

It has had SIGNIFICANT diagnostic work done, but the source of the problem has not been found. The handy owner, two specialty shops and two audi dealers have not found the source, but have proposed replacing different components.

The current draw, seen on the meter is 1amp then dropping to a low value (30mA), and cycling back to 1 amp again after about 5 mins. There is no blown fuses, no faulty relays, and the effect occurs even with all fuses removed.

Here are the software versions
su c6-hu.33.6.0.0632
hw c6-hu.6303d2.0
fc sw 03501afc6ab-320870
fcps 0870 fchw h07

I Had a pre purchase inspection done at Boseman Audi who found no fault.

After each diagnostic attempt the car adds more faults (possibly due to fuse and relay removal) and now shows ESP fault and parking break malfunction.

The battery and charging circuit has been tested as OK, but one audi dealer insisted on replacing it as the cause. Another said that the cause was the steering column (Fix cost 5k).

Each fuse and relay has been tested. The access/start module under the steering column has been tested and isolated and still the problem.

There is no evidence of any modification to the car. No flood damage. No accident. All functions work as expected. No burning smell. I notice that the MMI does not show a battery level as described in the owners manual.

I have tried everything I know.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by obyrne1
This car which I have owned for 6 months has had this problem for about 4 months, where there is a high current draining the battery when the car is parked.

It has had SIGNIFICANT diagnostic work done, but the source of the problem has not been found. The handy owner, two specialty shops and two audi dealers have not found the source, but have proposed replacing different components.

The current draw, seen on the meter is 1amp then dropping to a low value (30mA), and cycling back to 1 amp again after about 5 mins. There is no blown fuses, no faulty relays, and the effect occurs even with all fuses removed.

su c6-hu.33.6.0.0632
hw c6-hu.6303d2.0
fc sw 03501afc6ab-320870
fcps 0870 fchw h07

After each diagnostic attempt the car adds more faults (possibly due to fuse and relay removal) and now shows ESP fault and parking break malfunction.

The battery and charging circuit has been tested as OK, but one audi dealer insisted on replacing it as the cause. Another said that the cause was the steering column (Fix cost 5k).

Each fuse and relay has been tested. The access/start module under the steering column has been tested and isolated and still the problem.

There is no evidence of any modification to the car. No flood damage. No accident. All functions work as expected. No burning smell. I notice that the MMI does not show a battery level as described in the owners manual.

I Have a 2005 a6 3.2 and had the same problem. I had thought it was the battery and the dealer installed a new battery. it ended up being a TSB where the brake light would activate on its own at times! no joke
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have a Fluke or similar meter, try measuring the current draw across each fuse.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Isn't there a known issue where the battery indicator in the MMI causes significant current draw? I thought it was disabled by default in newer MMI versions (you seem to have 3360 - not sure if it was disabled in that version), but I think it can be enabled using a VAG regardless. Check your car MMI menus to see if the battery status is in there.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same problem with my 05 3.2. I had the MMI updated to the newest version and the problem was solved. I believe there is a a TSB out on the cars for this problem
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterRooster
I had the same problem with my 05 3.2. I had the MMI updated to the newest version and the problem was solved. I believe there is a a TSB out on the cars for this problem
http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Electrica...Dead%20(2).pdf

Last edited by royclark; 11-05-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by obyrne1

su c6-hu.33.6.0.0632
hw c6-hu.6303d2.0
fc sw 03501afc6ab-320870
fcps 0870 fchw h07

I smell a lemon.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi S5 TC
I smell a lemon.
Audi reliability strikes again
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you find out what's happening? I have an 05 that's having this issue. The TSB seems to just say it's for MY 07. Does anyone know if there's a similar TSB for 05? Thanks!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sometimes on some models the wires in the seat can trick the system into thinking one of the doors has been left open idk if this helps but it is a known problem...

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 4.2 with battery drain - tried everything