A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2005 Audi A6 4.2 help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys! This is the update on my car. I recently bought a VCDS HEX II, and I was able to connect it to the car. This is the code I got.

17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P1340 - 002 - Incor. Correlation - Intermittent - MIL ON

Now I asked my friend about it and he said that he is hearing something and it might be the timing chains with bad guides. And if I neglect this it might ruin the engine. This will cost me around 3k-6k parts and labor. He suggested that I buy a used engine and depending on the price of the engine, it might just cost me less than 2k. I keep the engine and maybe work on it leisurely in changing the timing chains and guides and so on. Now I know why it was sold this cheap.

Is there a way I can use the VCDS to find if the timing chains are the problem that is giving me a MIL ON?

As for the brakes, thanks guys, we were able to replace them all. I used akebono.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Raquel
Hey guys! This is the update on my car. I recently bought a VCDS HEX II, and I was able to connect it to the car. This is the code I got.

17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28)
P1340 - 002 - Incor. Correlation - Intermittent - MIL ON

Now I asked my friend about it and he said that he is hearing something and it might be the timing chains with bad guides. And if I neglect this it might ruin the engine. This will cost me around 3k-6k parts and labor. He suggested that I buy a used engine and depending on the price of the engine, it might just cost me less than 2k. I keep the engine and maybe work on it leisurely in changing the timing chains and guides and so on. Now I know why it was sold this cheap.

Is there a way I can use the VCDS to find if the timing chains are the problem that is giving me a MIL ON?

As for the brakes, thanks guys, we were able to replace them all. I used akebono.
Rachel,

Read the following threads:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ctual-2854930/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...siast-2916579/

Also, test measuring blocks 91, 92, and 93 on Cam adjust intake via VCDS and you'll be able to determine how far you are out of phase...so as to determine timing chain issues. Don't jump to conclusions without hard data.

Last edited by raj99; 03-29-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Rachel,

Read the following threads:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ctual-2854930/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...siast-2916579/

Also, test measuring blocks 91, 92, and 93 on Cam adjust intake via VCDS and you'll be able to determine how far you are out of phase...so as to determine timing chain issues. Don't jump to conclusions without hard data.
Thanks raj, how do I do that? What section in the VCDS do I measure the blocks and monitor the misfires?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks raj, how do I do that? What section in the VCDS do I measure the blocks and monitor the misfires?
Read through response #4 on this thread...also review this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...p0391-2881854/

FWIW, measuring block and misfires are 2 different things. Measuring blocks will give you the phase values for the camshafts relative to the crankshaft. 0 would mean perfect synchronization. Your misfires will be easily read through standard engine monitoring.

Measuring blocks are found under ENGINE and MEAS. BLOCKS in your VCDS: Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Measuring Blocks

Here's how to measure misfires:
Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey raj, that is what I've got in blocks 093, 092, and 091. I don't know how others were able to measure the blocks like this.
Originally Posted by life4sk8
Hi everyone,
I just get a A6 06 and I really enjoy it. So I buy the VAG-COM to work with. Today I check the meas block number 91, 92, 93 and this is what come up:
Address 01: Engine (4F2 910 559 B)

14:15:37 Group 091: Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 1: Intake)
701 /min Engine Speed (G28)
0.0 % Intake Camshaft Duty Cycle
0.0°KW Adjustment (specified)
0.0°KW Adjustment (actual)

14:15:37 Group 092: Camshaft Adjustment (Bank 2: Intake)
703 /min Engine Speed (G28)
0.0 % Intake Camshaft Duty Cycle
0.0°KW Adjustment (specified)
0.0°KW Adjustment (actual)

14:15:37 Group 093: Camshaft Adjustment (Adaption Values)
0.4°KW Phase Position Intake Bank 1
4.5°KW Phase Position Intake Bank 2
2.6°KW Phase Position Exhaust Bank 1
1.9°KW Phase Position Exhaust Bank 2
Hope you don't mind interpreting that for me. Thanks, I'll check tonight after work.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Read through response #4 on this thread...also review this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...p0391-2881854/

FWIW, measuring block and misfires are 2 different things. Measuring blocks will give you the phase values for the camshafts relative to the crankshaft. 0 would mean perfect synchronization. Your misfires will be easily read through standard engine monitoring.

Measuring blocks are found under ENGINE and MEAS. BLOCKS in your VCDS: Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Measuring Blocks

Here's how to measure misfires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyUyXgJMtY
Hey raj, this is what I've got when I measured the blocks 093, 092, and 091. I don't how the others were able to get like a summary like this
Originally Posted by 5huby5
hey all, saw these #'s and thought i could get some help....anyone seen this before and if so is it repairable?? thanks for any help offered... here goes.:

Measuring Blocks Group 93 Camshaft Adjustment (adaption values) -29.6*KW(Phase Position Intake Bank 1) 4.5*KW(PPIB 2) 2.3*KW(PP Exhaust Bank 1) 3.4*KW(PPEB 2)

MB Group 91 Camshaft Adjustment (bank 1 intake)
694/min Engine Speed(G28) 0.0%(Intake Camshaft Duty Cycle) 0.0*KW(adjustment specified) 7.9*KW(adjustment actual)

MB G 92 CA (Bank 2 intake)
709/min Engine speed (G28) 0.0%(Intake Camshaft Duty Cycle) 0.0*KW(adjustment specified) 0.4%KW(adjustment actual)

i can get more info if needed but thought i would start here..... i hope this isn't too far gone.....again any help here would be greatly appreciated!!

only negative(minus) # is at cam adjustment phase position intake bank 1
THANK YOU!

If you may, please interpret this for me. I don't know why I am only getting Idle stabilization on block 093. I've measure them 3X and I get the same result. Check later on after work. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I posted twice yesterday, but for some reason they are not showing.

Hey raj, so we replaced the camshaft position sensor, G40, passenger side and we were trying to get the inlet camshaft control valve also but we can't get it out. When I check some of the posts here, I found that we have to have to take the cylinder head to remove and replace it. I'm not sure we can do that so I might have a mechanic do that part.

This is the reading I got today:
Address 01: Engine (4F0 910 560 A)

18:36:31 Group 093

-14.0°KW

18:36:31 Group 092
720 /min RPM
5.1 % Load
0.0°KW Idle Stabilization

18:36:31 Group 091
720 /min RPM
5.1 % Load
-0.5°KW Idle Stabilization

We noticed some fluctuations in group 92 and 91 and they read from -.05 to 2.5. We don't know what those mean but they look ok from what we can reading from other posts in the forum. How are we to understand group 93 reading?

We also did what others are saying in exercising both the inlet camshaft control valves and we heard a ticking sound but sometimes they don't tick. Also sometimes the engine is making a soft rattling sound. And when it does, we seem to loose power in acceleration. Then sometimes the acceleration is really good. Would this be a timing chain issue or camshaft control valves issue? If the meachanic open the cylinders, will he find out if I have problems with the chains, or part of the chains like guides and rollers?

I appreciate every ones help, thanks a lot.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I posted twice yesterday, but for some reason they are not showing.

Hey raj, so we replaced the camshaft position sensor, G40, passenger side and we were trying to get the inlet camshaft control valve also but we can't get it out. When I check some of the posts here, I found that we have to have to take the cylinder head to remove and replace it. I'm not sure we can do that so I might have a mechanic do that part.

This is the reading I got today:
Address 01: Engine (4F0 910 560 A)

18:36:31 Group 093

-14.0°KW

18:36:31 Group 092
720 /min RPM
5.1 % Load

18:36:31 Group 091
720 /min RPM
5.1 % Load
-0.5°KW Idle Stabilization

We noticed some fluctuations in group 92 and 91 and they read from -.05 to 2.5. We don't know what those mean but they look ok from what we can reading from other posts in the forum. How are we to understand group 93 reading?

We also did what others are saying in exercising both the inlet camshaft control valves and we heard a ticking sound but sometimes they don't tick. Also sometimes the engine is making a soft rattling sound. And when it does, we seem to loose power in acceleration. Then sometimes the acceleration is really good. Would this be a timing chain issue or camshaft control valves issue? If the meachanic open the cylinders, will he find out if I have problems with the chains, or part of the chains like guides and rollers?

I appreciate every ones help, thanks a lot.
To answer the question: How are we to understand group 93 reading?

If you are in fact -14.0°KW, you are well out of the tolerance of your timing. which is +/- 8°KW. You either need new tensioners or you have a more severe issue (i.e. timing chain guides) and need a complete engine out examination and remedy. However, before all of that, you only provided a single number for Group 093, where there should be 2 - Bank 1 and Bank 2. So please send both numbers.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok this is what I’ve got after I electroshocked both the Camshaft Control valves both left and right inlet After I electroshocked the valves the acceleration is noticeably faster and the sound of the engine sounded like a real V8.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now this is what I've got when I hear a rattling sound and when the acceleration is really sluggish.

Quick Reply: 2005 Audi A6 4.2 help