A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 a6 automatic trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryJa
A simple solution to determining what fluid is in my car seems to be to, just, get it jacked up level, warm up the trans a little & pull the fill plug, Then, see what color the fluid is! If the level is too low for any to drain out, I can put my finger in there & see what I get.
Then, I can order a trans filter & oil change kit from Blauparts, be done.
this *might* work for you, but unless you are very experienced in the color of the fluid and subtle tint differences you may end up confused.
I have (and had) LG8, but I sure couldn't tell that the old fluid was 'blue'
also, correct to sample via the FILL plug---remember engine running when you do this. also, don't drain until you are certain that you can remove the fill plug.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
this *might* work for you, but unless you are very experienced in the color of the fluid and subtle tint differences you may end up confused.
I have (and had) LG8, but I sure couldn't tell that the old fluid was 'blue'
also, correct to sample via the FILL plug---remember engine running when you do this. also, don't drain until you are certain that you can remove the fill plug.
+1 to that!.. =)
i got little confused myself..oil looked different depending on light.. =D see my old post:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24298860

=D
cheers/H
Old 04-21-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess that I was discounting that trans fluid changes color as it oxidizes. They'll all go to brown in time & wear.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I finally made it to the Audi dealer & had them look up the correct transmission fluid, based on my VIN in their service records system.
It's LG8 (green) for me.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Well, I finally made it to the Audi dealer & had them look up the correct transmission fluid, based on my VIN in their service records system.
It's LG8 (green) for me.
Aren't you glad you didn't just put the LF6, like you were initially going to do...just follow the write-up on the tranny fluid change now, and you'll be fine.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's LG8 (green) for me.
What part nr did they give you?
Also.. A scan log on trans would be nice.. =)
You know there are the Lg6 plus atf oil also.. It was factory filled in mine.. =)
Cheers /H

edit: looked in elsa..the new green fluid you must have atleast sw version 0050 and up...(depending what gearbox you have)
mine HLK have 0020 and have the LG6+ blue fluid..
cheers/H

Last edited by hrc4u; 04-25-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

They gave me the VW part number that translates to LG8.
Last night, I ordered 6l of LG8 from bavauto.com. They had the cheapest price, anywhere, under $27/liter shipped. I picked up a filter & gasket off eBay too.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They gave me the VW part number that translates to LG8.
Last night, I ordered 6l of LG8 from bavauto.com. They had the cheapest price, anywhere, under $27/liter shipped. I picked up a filter & gasket off eBay too.
Hope they looked up right oil according for your Vin nr..
So they just didn't look in etka system.. There is always listed latest oil version.. =)
So make sure you have the right sw in tranny =) (that's why I wanted the log.. To verify it for you =))
Cheers /H
Old 04-27-2016, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Last week, the display went out on my XP laptop. It's being replaced now. That's where I have my VCDS. So, I cannot access the scan until one get it back from repair, later this week.
At the dealer, in the service dept, they entered my VIN & brought up the theat drivetrain section. From that, they brought up the fluid part number G 060162 A2. I correlated that to LG8.

Originally Posted by hrc4u
Hope they looked up right oil according for your Vin nr..
So they just didn't look in etka system.. There is always listed latest oil version.. =)
So make sure you have the right sw in tranny =) (that's why I wanted the log.. To verify it for you =))
Cheers /H
Old 04-27-2016, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Last week, the display went out on my XP laptop. It's being replaced now. That's where I have my VCDS. So, I cannot access the scan until one get it back from repair, later this week.
At the dealer, in the service dept, they entered my VIN & brought up the theat drivetrain section. From that, they brought up the fluid part number G 060162 A2. I correlated that to LG8.
ok...well put up the scan later!..just so we can make shure it's the right oil ...=)
i read that the green oil is put in from 2008-> ...so in that case your tranny have to been updated...(not very common unless it have had shifting issues)

cheers/H

Quick Reply: 2006 a6 automatic trans fluid