A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-02-2016, 02:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Engine Problems by Symptom
Print Wikipost

2006 A6 won't start, cannot get it out of park

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't know about the steering column.
On the alternator, what it *may* be is a bad voltage regulator which is running the system too high. Should be no more than 14.6, and 14.3-14.4 is really the 'normal' max voltage when the alternator is pumping.
more than 14.6 and electronics can start to either overheat or blow their capacitors.
do you have vcds?
if no,
suggest you buy a $15 DMM if you don't already have one, and read the voltage across the ***** under the hood. 3 readings if possible: quiescent, during cold crank, and when running after 1 minute and after 5 minutes (no additional elec load).
Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
don't know about the steering column.
On the alternator, what it *may* be is a bad voltage regulator which is running the system too high. Should be no more than 14.6, and 14.3-14.4 is really the 'normal' max voltage when the alternator is pumping.
more than 14.6 and electronics can start to either overheat or blow their capacitors.
do you have vcds?
if no,
suggest you buy a $15 DMM if you don't already have one, and read the voltage across the ***** under the hood. 3 readings if possible: quiescent, during cold crank, and when running after 1 minute and after 5 minutes (no additional elec load).
Thanks for your help. I actually have both VCD & DMM unfortunately I left it in my AllRoad. Once I get the car back will try the three measurements on the alternator. If Fail I assume replacement is the only option, correct?

Last edited by jujuC6; 02-23-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

juju, cut the wire going into the access start module before the "over producing" alternator frys the access start module causing the need for a new steering column

look for oak tree limbs directions, should be part of all c6 preventative maintenance

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24366086
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newa6er
juju, cut the wire going into the access start module before the "over producing" alternator frys the access start module causing the need for a new steering column

look for oak tree limbs directions, should be part of all c6 preventative maintenance

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24366086
Thanks for the info. I will go for this when I get the car back. Does this mean I don't need a new Alternator if I cut the wire and replace the steering column?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just confirmed that the steering column programming is dealer only At this point even though the car starts now I will ask the stealership to go ahead with the steering column replacement to correct my intermittent column. Will also ask if they can cut pin 20 to the Access Start module for me and see how it goes.
Update: Stealership refused to cut the wire and said that steering column could be damaged by the alternator overproducing advising me to replace with them. I asked for the steering column only and will cut the wire on their parking lot before taking it home.

Last edited by jujuC6; 02-24-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jujuC6
Sorry for jacking your post man but I had the same exact thing happen to me hundreds of miles from home this past weekend. Battery is 1 week old. No response from the ignition. Locking, Hazard, climate and MMI work but no crank, start or instrument panel. Car was locked into Parking with eBrake. Called the closest stealership and asked how to bypass the shifter. They told me there is no way to by pass it and to drag it onto the flat-bed, disappointed at that answer. The towing guys disagreed and kept looking for the bypass but I had no way of looking up online where I was so they did not want to proceed without the owners manual. They got creative instead and took me to the stealership.

Today, the bad: Steering Column bad & Altenator is over producing (What!). Is there such thing as over producing? I though they got old and did the opposite. Stealership cleared the codes and the car now starts but urgently recommend replacing at $2250 Steeting Column & $900 Alternator. I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow about this two jobs but not sure if the steering column is dealer only, anyone knows before I get an answer tomorrow? Thinking of driving all the way over tomorrow to return my rental and drive my car back straight to my mechanic. Thanks for any advice and for anyone with this symptoms, it is the steering column.
Sorry to hear man That's horrible news. BTW, you and I seem to have the EXACT same car, is that oyster gray or blue! BTW, I'm also thinking of picking up an AR and getting rid of our minivan...yes I'll admit it...I have a minivan But what are your thoughts on the AR? Is it a wise choice or a money pit?

Currently looking at 2 different ones: Both the same price, one with 110K miles & 2003 and an auto, the other 180k miles & 2001 and a 6-speed. Both are 2nd owner cars but have been cared for meticulously and were purchased within 2 years of the build date! The each have a binder brimming with maintenance and neither needs the normal TB, water pump, etc...for at least another 50k miles.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Sorry to hear man That's horrible news. BTW, you and I seem to have the EXACT same car, is that oyster gray or blue! BTW, I'm also thinking of picking up an AR and getting rid of our minivan...yes I'll admit it...I have a minivan But what are your thoughts on the AR? Is it a wise choice or a money pit?

Currently looking at 2 different ones: Both the same price, one with 110K miles & 2003 and an auto, the other 180k miles & 2001 and a 6-speed. Both are 2nd owner cars but have been cared for meticulously and were purchased within 2 years of the build date! The each have a binder brimming with maintenance and neither needs the normal TB, water pump, etc...for at least another 50k miles.
Yeah, this situation sucks. C6 is midnight blue. I love my AR very functional and fun with just a stage 1. However they sure can be money pits in most cases. I have been somewhat lucky that I have been hit with not many issues which usually plagues C5 ARs. My two biggest issues have been PO neglects which are getting me now. Sludge build up & failed thermostat which PO never replaced when he did the timing belt. If the 03 has a healthy AT & Torque Converter I would go for that because of the 70k less miles but eventually one will be faced with having to redo the A/T or going 6-speed which the 01 already has. BTW, does the 01 have K04s? Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by jujuC6; 02-26-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just got car back today and car feels like new again. It better at just under $3200 for steering column and alternator. No more false starts with stumbles when cold and today was close to zero. I also suffered from an extra soft steering feel at times which now is gone. New alternator got rid of my battery light & battery module limp mode. Glad it is over but hope I don't get hit with another one for a long while. Hope this helps anyone experiencing the same symptoms.