A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2006 Avant; What Do I Wanna Check? (1st Audi)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
All good advice, however I would state tranny fluid change IS quite easy on these cars. It's basically: remove fill hole and pump out fluid, drop the pan, clean it out, change filter, and replace w/ ~5 liters.

Also, make sure you do a PPI...it's a complete waste NOT doing one. Get a good indy mechanic to do it at, they will hook up a vag-com and pull a complete code list for you, so you can evaluate all potential issues.

I love my C6 and am very VERY happy with it. Yes, they have some issues here and there (wait till you view Kevin's list), but overall my 4.2 puts a grin to my face every day and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. BTW, just noticed <b>this is my 1000th thread</b> WOW....time flies.
Congrats on the 1000th. I love my 4.2 as well... Besides the timing system...

While it's not difficult its much harder than any car that isn't using supposed "Lifetime" fluid. You can do this yourself but i do suggest you at least go to the dealer once and get the TCU update and latest version of the fluid.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Check to see if TSB #92-06-01 was performed. This TSB fixes the rear washer hose breaking, which can lead to washer fluid to leak onto the amp as noted by mill3241. If this failure happens, you're looking at an expensive repair to replace the electronics. The cost to implement this TSB ~$350 by the dealer. But you can do it as a DIY for the price of the parts (~$80).
Old 05-14-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks for all the advice, guys!! I'm going to look at it on Sat. My Audi-buddy (has a 2006 A4S) said I should make sure I start it cold & look for oil-smoke, too.

But I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point; One owner (a guy w/a 'stable' of cars), all service done at dealer, he lives 10 min away from me, and it looks pristine in the photos.

It's competitors are things like 2004ish E320 4Matic wagons, but in that price range, they have 95K+ miles, and you don't know the real history, Merc ML & MLK class are drawing me in, too, but again, they have a lot more miles on 'em.

But the Audi won't last long, and seems to be a great deal, so I'll letcha know how it goes. Thanks again
Old 05-14-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

oops...I meant the M and GLK class mercs are teh ones I'm looking at
Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by deandome
thanks for all the advice, guys!! I'm going to look at it on Sat. My Audi-buddy (has a 2006 A4S) said I should make sure I start it cold & look for oil-smoke, too.

But I'm feeling pretty good about it at this point; One owner (a guy w/a 'stable' of cars), all service done at dealer, he lives 10 min away from me, and it looks pristine in the photos.

It's competitors are things like 2004ish E320 4Matic wagons, but in that price range, they have 95K+ miles, and you don't know the real history, Merc ML & MLK class are drawing me in, too, but again, they have a lot more miles on 'em.

But the Audi won't last long, and seems to be a great deal, so I'll letcha know how it goes. Thanks again
Those are also nice choices. I just don't like the designs as much as the A6. I think Audi's interior is much nicer as well.

Drive them all before you decide though! Just don't take too long, I doubt that Audi will last long!
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Check to see if TSB #92-06-01 was performed. This TSB fixes the rear washer hose breaking, which can lead to washer fluid to leak onto the amp as noted by mill3241. If this failure happens, you're looking at an expensive repair to replace the electronics. The cost to implement this TSB ~$350 by the dealer. But you can do it as a DIY for the price of the parts (~$80).
Does anyone know when they started using this updated fix on new builds/production? Say on all 2008+ Avants?
Old 05-17-2014, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

The TSB I listed only applies to MY 2005 Avants and MY 2006 Avants thru VIN 4F_6N060000. So, if you have a MY 2006 beyond this VIN, Audi AG incorporated the fix.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, I drove it today, and I loved it. It was impeccable inside & out, engine purred (on cold start & idle, too)...no dash noises, even over RR tracks...electronics worked, all 4 speakers worked, no funny stuff near the amp in the back (didn't try the rear washer, though, I figure if I get it, I'll fix it)...all windows/sunroof worked perfectly. Just a great car.

The ONLY negative I found was a little rattle coming from somewhere near my left ear; either the top doorframe/window frame, or maybe the pillar where the seat belt height-adjuster is. Nothing too bad/annoying, but noticeable. I'll hunt it down & kill it if/when I buy it.

He's firm on the price; I offered $11K, and he said he realized he underpriced it (per KBB, it should be $16k+). He wants $13.9, I think $13 will get it.

I'm going to look at two, 2008 E350 wagons tomorrow, but they're at MB and Lexus dealerships who are both asking $20k or so. If I can get them down to $16-17, well, I'll have a tough choice. But if not, I have no problem diving into this Audi.

I'll let you know how it goes...thanks again for everything!!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would be nice for future visitors to know what you decided, why and at what price point. : )
Old 10-18-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kierantaylor
Would be nice for future visitors to know what you decided, why and at what price point. : )
Wow Kieran, really expecting such courtesy? Several top contributors made time and effort to provide advice. I am amazed at the number of one hit wonders we have here - ask for advice, never contribute, fade away.

Quick Reply: 2006 Avant; What Do I Wanna Check? (1st Audi)