A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 A6 can Nav and Sirius be retrofited?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 A6 can Nav and Sirius be retrofited?

I just purchase a new to me 2007 A6 3.2 sedan. Now I remember why I loved and miss my previous A4 so much.
I would like to retrofit both the OEM Nav DVD and Sirius module on my car. Can they both be added?

Here are some details about my car. I have determined I have the MMI 2G High system, by review different forums and since I have the color 7” MMI screen above the climate control area, and have the red DIS inbetween the tach and the speedo, that seems to point to the 2G High.
I do have OEM Bluetooth, the Nav button to the left of the Shifter. If I press the NAV button, then it show Navigation not installed. The satellite option is in the MMI choices, but it is grayed out. I do have the CD changer in the glovebox
When I do look in the left side of the trunk/boot and open the door/panel on the left side behind the left rear wheel, I do see the rack for the module/component. I do have the K-Box at the top slot and two empty slots below. I also see a harness tucked in next to the rack, wrapped in foam with three types of connectors, one being an antenna, the second being a fiber optic (MOST?) and a third looks to be for power and some other things. These connectors/harness look like they would fit into the recycled Navigation DVD player/unit I purchased, or into the recycled Sirius Module I have.
FYI, I do not have Homelink, no parking reverse sensors or camera, no OEM nav, or OEM satellite, no xenon adaptive headlights.
My questions are:
1. Can I install both?
2. If so, which one goes in first below the K-Box?
3. Which if any additional harnesses/connections would I need?
Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

HI there, you can install both, it should be mostly plug-and-play. The power connector and the fiberoptic (Most) connector are interchangeable can be plugged to both satellite and Navigation units. The fiber optic cable has a loop adapter in at the moment so that it doesn't break the optic loop, or none of the car's modules connected to the MOST will work. The devices are linked in series, since you need two add two devices you will need a "splitter" cable. Like this one :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-AMI-MMI-Cable-Set-A4-4E-A6-4F-A5-Q7-Q5-incl-FOC-/111195427226?hash=item19e3c3919a&vxp=mtr
The antenna connectors (green/brown) that you have are for satellite radio, the blue one is for Gps is hiding under the C pillar cover, and you would need a female to female Fakra extension cable to connect it to the Sharkfin antenna.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2M-GPS-antenna-Extension-cable-Fakra-C-female-to-Fakra-C-Jack-in-blue-RG174-New-/331051423223?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item4d1433d5f7
You can also buy an external antenna for the nav and you can install it under the rear deck. something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181342097931?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT It doesnt matter which one you plug in first, they will work as long as they have power and are connected to the MOST loop.
Good luck!

Last edited by roylok; 10-30-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by roylok
HI there, you can install both, it should be mostly plug-and-play. The power connector and the fiberoptic (Most) connector are interchangeable can be plugged to both satellite and Navigation units. The fiber optic cable has a loop adapter in at the moment so that it doesn't break the optic loop, or none of the car's modules connected to the MOST will work. The devices are linked in series, since you need two add two devices you will need a "splitter" cable. Like this one :
Audi Ami MMI Cable Set A4 4E A6 4F A5 Q7 Q5 incl FOC | eBay

The antenna connectors (green/brown) that you have are for satellite radio, the blue one is for Gps is hiding under the C pillar cover, and you would need a female to female Fakra extension cable to connect it to the Sharkfin antenna.
2M GPS Antenna Extension Cable Fakra C Female to Fakra C Jack in Blue RG174 New | eBay

You can also buy an external antenna for the nav and you can install it under the rear deck. something like this:

Audi GPS Antenna RNS E MMI Magnetic Pay Today Ships Today | eBay
It doesnt matter which one you plug in first, they will work as long as they have power and are connected to the MOST loop.
Good luck!
thanks for the response! This is a wonderful explaination, with specific items to complete the project. I am waiting on the splitter type cable set, but i ordered this one: Audi MMI 2G System Plug Play Harness | eBay Does this look like the correct one?

Will this one work also? And then after i connect both the sat and nav i will not need the terminator loop in the MOST system, correct?

I did buy a internal GPS antenna like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281205612362?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT So that means that goes into the DVD Nav unit correct?

Thank you so much for the help, do most people need to VAG-Com some settings or is it good to go. If not do you know what those settings are?

One more question, if i may?

Is there a difference in the sirius module vs the XMradio module? I have the Sirius, but might have an opportunity to get an xm if it is better.

Thanks again in advance for all you clear, specific help! you get 5 Stars!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes that cable will definitely work, the gps antenna is the correct one too and yes it plugs in behind Navi drive. I would go with XM module for better reception quality. You don't need Vag-com it's really plug and play.

Save the MOST end loop thingy! If one module goes bad (cd, navi, bluetooth etc), nothing will work. If you have that, than you can take out of the loop the device that doesn't work, close the loop and still have the rest of the car working. I had to take the MOst connector apart and tape the optic ends facing each other to complete the chain when my cd changer was fried. Without it, no MMI

Last edited by roylok; 11-03-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe I missed it in the instructions, but you also need a power supply signal for your devices. There will be a power socket that will be in the trunk - but you do need to add a wire coming in from the fusebox for this power source to work. Alternatively (and not advisable), you could splice a fusebox wire for another device and overload that circuit.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

The cable set that he has bought has the optical cable and also a power cable splitter. Plug the female end to the existing male connector, on the other end he will have two male power connectors, for sat and navi. There is no need for additional wiring.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am not seeing the power cable in any of the links above. There is one for the fiber optic and one for the antenna - thats it.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are there