A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2007 S6 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S6 Questions

I'm considering trading my car in on a 2007 S6 with 92k miles. I'm wondering what all i need to look at for it. I know about the carbon build up with the v10 engine but im not sure what else might need to be looked at for this year and mileage. I was also wondering where i could get any performance parts from and tuning around Alabama.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by De Andre Robbins
I'm considering trading my car in on a 2007 S6 with 92k miles. I'm wondering what all i need to look at for it. I know about the carbon build up with the v10 engine but im not sure what else might need to be looked at for this year and mileage. I was also wondering where i could get any performance parts from and tuning around Alabama.
Welcome to the forum and the S6 can certainly be a GREAT car. There's a LOT of threads on the subject of S6s and I personally really like them...yes they can potentially be maintenance queens, but it appears that getting a good warranty is mandatory at the time of purchase. Since so many items can require a complete engine drop to get access to.

As for <b>performance</b> mods, well there are very few. Due to the limited run of vehicles the after-market isn't big for these. I've heard of folks putting actual lambo heads on and then there was a fellow seeking at add a supercharger. But at 400+bhp how much more useable perf are you seeking?

Use the search and you'll see a few threads on the subject... good luck
Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

thanks. i've been doing research on the performance side and was really wondering about exhaust and tune but i see that i'll have to get a custom exhaust made if i get the car. haha yea i had an 01 a6 2.7tt and refuse to get another audi without a warranty.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks. i've been doing research on the performance side and was really wondering about exhaust and tune but i see that i'll have to get a custom exhaust made if i get the car. haha yea i had an 01 a6 2.7tt and refuse to get another audi without a warranty.
I think a company called Brilliant in Japan did some exhaust mods for an S8 for '07-'09 which bumped the power a little and made it sound like an actually Lambo which, the motor is. I'd google "Make an Audi sound like a Lambo". I think those same mods can be applied to the S6 of the same years because it's the same motor HOWEVER, be ready to spend some cash. You are talking like $10k for it.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I wouldn't expect much actual PERFORMANCE gains from any exhaust work. As for tuning the 5.2, I've not seen much in that space either. I wish you well in your decision, but moving from a C5 2.7T to the C6 S6 is exponentially more costly, in terms of normal maintenance to daily costs (i.e. you'll be fortunate to get 15 mpg). Just be aware of that and it's also the reason why the cost of these has been driven down over the last few years.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check for any coolant leaks. If you can, take the car for a spin until you get the engine to normal operating temperature. Then open the hood and smell for coolant. You may not see any leaks but if it leaks you will smell it.

With 92K miles the hoses have been baking for a long time and there is tendency to spring leaks on the hose in the back of the engine that goes from the block on right side to the overflow reservoir on left. That hose also has to be moved every time the oil filter is changed as it sits right on top of the oil filter housing.

The reservoir also is known to develop microscopic cracks on bottom and leak when the engine gets to temp and the system is pressurized because the V10 is stuffed in the engine bay and runs hot.

I also suggest that you ask for service logs and get the car scanned for codes. The S6 has lots of electronics and if there are any codes get it sorted before you buy. If the owner serviced it at any Audi dealership you can get that service history and see what's the story. If the car was serviced and you will take care of it it will be a great ride although the maintenance costs are quite high. Just oil change takes 10 quarts and a filter so be prepared for it.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

the car ended up being in excellent condition with no leaks of any kinda that i could see or smell. it does have a tpms error and the adaptive headlight error. Besides for that it only needs tires. it's a great car so far.