A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2008 A6 3.2 quattro Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 A6 3.2 quattro Intake Manifold

My engine light (solid, not flashing) came on a couple of months ago and I finally got the diagnostic done a couple days ago as I needed the state inspection sticker and it wouldn't pass with the warning light on. There didn't seem to be a huge drop in performance other than the RPMs jumping a little when engine was cold and some low end acceleration pick-up. The diagnostic came back as a stuck lower intake manifold on the right side, everything else tested ok. The mechanic recommended replacing the part, which I did, and the engine light was cleared. After I picked up the car and drove it for about 20 minutes the engine light came back on and hasn't gone away. Can the light simply be cleared or does this indicate something more than an intake manifold? Car has about 105K miles on it.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Goosechase
My engine light (solid, not flashing) came on a couple of months ago and I finally got the diagnostic done a couple days ago as I needed the state inspection sticker and it wouldn't pass with the warning light on. There didn't seem to be a huge drop in performance other than the RPMs jumping a little when engine was cold and some low end acceleration pick-up. The diagnostic came back as a stuck lower intake manifold on the right side, everything else tested ok. The mechanic recommended replacing the part, which I did, and the engine light was cleared. After I picked up the car and drove it for about 20 minutes the engine light came back on and hasn't gone away. Can the light simply be cleared or does this indicate something more than an intake manifold? Car has about 105K miles on it.
Please post the codes captured via a VCDS device. That is pretty well the only way for us to help your troubleshoot. The codes will be able to assist in triaging the issue and allow you to perform root cause analysis.

Although a solid engine light isn't a 'good' thing, it's no where near as bad as a flashing one.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Most likely the reason your MIL light came back on was that the shop cleared the light but did not fix the problem. Some errors will trigger the light immediately and some must be present during a particular set of events (i.e. the engine must be warm and above a certain rpm) for it to be triggered.

If I remember correctly this flap is actuated by a vacuum motor and some forum members have found the vacuum line cracked and the fix was a $2 piece of hose.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Most likely the reason your MIL light came back on was that the shop cleared the light but did not fix the problem. Some errors will trigger the light immediately and some must be present during a particular set of events (i.e. the engine must be warm and above a certain rpm) for it to be triggered.

If I remember correctly this flap is actuated by a vacuum motor and some forum members have found the vacuum line cracked and the fix was a $2 piece of hose.
I'd start with the same thing...and if that doesn't seem to be it, here's a thread that looks like what you're going through: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...-flap-2781569/