A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

What would you do with these rotors? (*PICS*)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would you do with these rotors? (*PICS*)

I bought this '05 A6 with the ABS & ESP lights on. After scanning with VAG I found that the G201 (pressure sensor) was shorted to ground (stuck at -39 bar). So, the module is currently away being repaired.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do while I wait. Take a look at these rotors, all 4 look like this. There is plenty of meat left on the pads. When I bought the car, it seemed like there was air in the system as it would take a couple of pumps for the brake pedal to harden up.

Maybe they became glazed because of poor pressure in the system?

The surface is fairly uniform.

Would you guys try to salvage these by bleeding & bedding them in once the repaired module is back in place? Or would you just spring for all new rotors & pads? Any advice is appreciated.

Name:  P3d3mVh.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  qC9wdHS.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  82.5 KB
Old 10-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catamount90
I bought this '05 A6 with the ABS & ESP lights on. After scanning with VAG I found that the G201 (pressure sensor) was shorted to ground (stuck at -39 bar). So, the module is currently away being repaired.

I'm looking for some advice on what to do while I wait. Take a look at these rotors, all 4 look like this. There is plenty of meat left on the pads. When I bought the car, it seemed like there was air in the system as it would take a couple of pumps for the brake pedal to harden up.

Maybe they became glazed because of poor pressure in the system?

The surface is fairly uniform.

Would you guys try to salvage these by bleeding & bedding them in once the repaired module is back in place? Or would you just spring for all new rotors & pads? Any advice is appreciated.

Hey man,

I'm no master mechanic but if that were my car, I would spring for new rotors at minimum, probably new pads too. No reason to cut corners when it comes to brakes. A decent set of rotors and pads won't crush your wallet. The alternative due to poor performing brakes will be much worse. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they dont look oem..
i would likely lean twds new rotors
if i could not figure out what brand/type of pads they were then go all new pads also
Old 10-13-2013, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by paullee
Hey man,

I'm no master mechanic but if that were my car, I would spring for new rotors at minimum, probably new pads too. No reason to cut corners when it comes to brakes. A decent set of rotors and pads won't crush your wallet. The alternative due to poor performing brakes will be much worse. Good luck.
as other said. rotors is not the most expensive thing out there. get new rotors when you will replace pads. Do not change rotors without changing pads.
If you really need to save here - get Zimmerman instead of OEM.

Also do not get slotter/drilled/etc. They eat though the pads.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get new rotors and pads. I prefer electroplated rotors as they don't rust. Here are rotors from BrakePerformance.com I got set of dimpled for my S6 from them and I am highly satisfied.

2005 A6 3.2 Quattro replacement plain rotors
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

slotted and drilled are usually a waste of time for a DD, imho. In the past, if I've not gone OEM I go either Brembo or Zimmerman and like running Akebono pads...WAY less dust than OEM, plus I've not noticed any discernible differences in stopping distance.