A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

3.0T Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.0T Steering

I’d like to get some feedback from 3.0T owners, especially from people who have owned 3.2Q before. I just replaced my 2006 3.2Q with a 2009 3.0T and noticed some steering feel differences. During hot days (>90degrees), when engine is restarted after a short break, hence indicating very hot engine bay, I noticed some vibration and pump whining noise when turning at low speeds. The symptom goes away very quickly once I start to drive the car. This doesn’t happen when I start the car from cold, even in hot weather. Has anyone experience a similar thing? Dealer tells me that everything checks out normal. I’m still under warranty so I’m not too concerned at this moment but wanted to find out if this is a normal occurrence with our 3.0T engine. Perhaps the load on the belt with SC and AC compressor fully engaged is causing this?

I also notice some low frequency vibration when accelerating with steering almost fully cocked (in parking lots) the vibration quickly disappears once the car gains some speed. This happens all the time. I also noticed the same symptom in a brand new A4 2.0T. I don’t remember my 3.2Q doing this. Once again, any feedback from others is appreciated.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have not noticed the two conditions you mention on my 2010 3.0T A6. However, I find the steering at normal cruising speeds and at low around town speeds as well (10-20 mph) has a lot of vibration or some kind of tactile sensation. I am not sure how to describe it properly I am sure. At 480 or so miles I had the power steering hose burst and the dealer installed a new one, saying nothing else was wrong with the power steering. Since then I am always aware of a lot of "something" in the feedback or feel I get through the wheel, but not having driven the car long enough before this event to get a firm memory of what is normal I am not sure if it is OK or bad. I had two B7 A4's before this car, both with the elecrical-type power steering and they felt much different, kind of no vibration or feedback. I really don't know if this sensation of a constant vibration or movement in the wheel is just the much-acclaimed road feel or something to worry about. I have not been in yet for my 5,000 mile check-up but will ask the dealer then to check things out.

Last edited by irenesbob; 10-20-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like the steering problem found in some A4 and Q5, but you are the 1st to experience this in a A6. You might want to read these two threads:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2792580&page=2

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2787593
Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great feedbacks!

@irenesbob: I agree. Compared to my original 2006, I do notice more feedback from the steering. It's not a bad thing, as our cars have been rated higher than the new 5-series due to better steering feedback. I just don't like feeling or hearing unusual vibration/noise.

@G Man: Many thanks for the links. Seems like people have experienced similar issues on different models. I'll take it to another dealer and specifically tell them about the shuddering problem. It does feel like the pump is working extra hard during low speed and full turn manuevers.

Thanks to both of your comments. I'm now convinced that it's a hose issue.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NR04
Great feedbacks!

@irenesbob: I agree. Compared to my original 2006, I do notice more feedback from the steering. It's not a bad thing, as our cars have been rated higher than the new 5-series due to better steering feedback. I just don't like feeling or hearing unusual vibration/noise.

@G Man: Many thanks for the links. Seems like people have experienced similar issues on different models. I'll take it to another dealer and specifically tell them about the shuddering problem. It does feel like the pump is working extra hard during low speed and full turn manuevers.

Thanks to both of your comments. I'm now convinced that it's a hose issue.
I have the same issue in the same exact circumstances. It only happens on hot days. I discussed it with the dealer and of course they couldn't recreate the noise.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm with you on dealer's lack of interest in finding out what's going on. Many of us get either "can't duplicate" or "normal" responses. The weather these days has gotten cooler to the point that I'm not noticing that vibration/noise when starting a hot engine on a hot day. I'm still going to ask another dealer to take a look at steering plumbing during my next service. The shudder, when the car starts to move forward from a standstill with a fully cocked steering, still exists.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ynnekdude
I have the same issue in the same exact circumstances. It only happens on hot days. I discussed it with the dealer and of course they couldn't recreate the noise.
Ynnekdude, do you still have the steering vibration issue during hot days? I had the dealer replace the steering pump last year but the weather cooled down and couldn't verify it until this summer when the temp went up. The pump replacement didn't make a difference. I was wondering if you had any success identifying the problem... Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

These symptoms sound very similar to what we experienced on our 2010 A6 3.0T Avant.

The shudder, vibrations and noise were much more prevelant in hot weather and much, much more so at slow speeds and when the wheel was fully turned one way or another.

Turns out it wasn't the steering in our car at all but instead the Quattro system.

The fluid in the differentials heats up and causes these symptoms. In our case, the fluid was drained twice to no avail and then one of the differentials was replaced in its entirety. The symptoms still exist from time to time (it was very, very hot here about a week ago and a minor shudder occured once) but it's now all but gone.

Frankly, I remain a little disappointed that a company which built its reputation on quattro branding would have these issues.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
These symptoms sound very similar to what we experienced on our 2010 A6 3.0T Avant.

The shudder, vibrations and noise were much more prevelant in hot weather and much, much more so at slow speeds and when the wheel was fully turned one way or another.

Turns out it wasn't the steering in our car at all but instead the Quattro system.

The fluid in the differentials heats up and causes these symptoms. In our case, the fluid was drained twice to no avail and then one of the differentials was replaced in its entirety. The symptoms still exist from time to time (it was very, very hot here about a week ago and a minor shudder occured once) but it's now all but gone.

Frankly, I remain a little disappointed that a company which built its reputation on quattro branding would have these issues.
Da Hapa, I do have the infamous Quattro rumble (dealer refuse to change fluids) but I also have this nagging issue with vibration in steering when the engine bay is hot. Mainly, when the outside temp is hot (>90 degrees) and engine has been restarted after running (making the engine bay extremely hot), there is a loud humming when turning the steering wheel and you can feel the vibration. It goes away after driving for a little. The dealer replaced the steering pump but the issue is still there. Have you experienced the same thing? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NR04
Ynnekdude, do you still have the steering vibration issue during hot days? I had the dealer replace the steering pump last year but the weather cooled down and couldn't verify it until this summer when the temp went up. The pump replacement didn't make a difference. I was wondering if you had any success identifying the problem... Thanks.
I still experience a groaning noise at low speeds on hot days but I haven't noticed the shuttering and vibration being nearly as violent as it used to be. I'm not sure if it even vibrates at all anymore. I will try to pay attention next I get the noise.

I think tires can also play a role. I used to have the P-Zeros on but now I'm running Pilot Super Sports so that may have alleviated some of the vibration thanks to a different compound.

Quick Reply: 3.0T Steering