A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

3.2L FSI, How to inspect carbon deposit on intake valves and clean it

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks for the write-up (and the one on the cam follower for the fuel pump. I just did the cam follower, valve cover gaskets, and cleaned the valves. Car runs great now. Hesitation gone.

I would add the following:

Achtung! This step is critical to correct re-assembly:

Name:  IMG_4022marked.jpg
Views: 3983
Size:  53.6 KB

The flaps must be open when the lower intake is re-installed on the head. If the flap is closed, it will end up on the wrong side of the splitter and the splitter will not allow it open.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Thanks for the write-up (and the one on the cam follower for the fuel pump. I just did the cam follower, valve cover gaskets, and cleaned the valves. Car runs great now. Hesitation gone.

I would add the following:

Achtung! This step is critical to correct re-assembly:
You are welcome.
Glad it worked out for you. Whole procedures are not that difficult. I am overdue for another carbon cleaning and cam follower and waiting for warmer weather.
I updated my guide with a couple of tools available now:
  • Crank shaft turning socket
  • XZN Triple Square (Spline bits)

Last edited by audi bug; 03-02-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

To turn the crank, I took a cheapie 17 mm socket and welded two blobs on the outside of it at 12 and 6 o-clock. Then I sharpened the blobs down to points, like teeth on a gear. The points fit right between the bolts on the harmonic balancer.

I did get jammed up on the intake flaps though. If you can edit your writie-up, you should make it clear that tying off the flaps is a critical step and why it needs to be done.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose

Super Thread !
"cleaning carbon deposit, I noticed no more rough idle in the morning at first start, very quick startup, and quicker response when accelerating*"
What is fault code for this? Only check engine light"

I wonder why the engine now use 2-3 sec after i put new sparks ngk? The old quicker.

I must clean this when everybody say it is permanent problem when 80-90k is passed
Old 08-23-2014, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Help! I forgot to look at how the upper manifold gasket should be seated when I removed it, so after replacing with new gaskets, I am wondering if the gaskets just rest on top of the lower manifold lip or is it supposed to be seated inside the lower manifold opening (tube)? I currently have it in the first position, but it doesn't look right as the gasket is exposed after tightening all the 12 screws. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is carbon build-up cleaning a given on all the FSI engines at some point? I purchased my 06 3.2 with 74K on it last year. I'm getting great mileage (over 27 hand calc'd on two recent trips to upstate NY), no codes or CEL (I probably just jinxed myself). But, on cold start, the car seems to sputter after backing out of garage and then pulling out of the driveway. It only happens on first acceleration. Stop at the end of driveway and pull out, no problem.

I also get a 'glitch' when coming to a stop sign and hitting the accelerator to drive through - but that feels more like the transmission not making up its mind whether to stay in 2nd or drop into 1st. If I give it a couple of seconds, take-off is smooth and responsive. If I don't come to a complete stop, the engine stumbles (or trans).
Old 08-24-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justinw
Help! I forgot to look at how the upper manifold gasket should be seated when I removed it, so after replacing with new gaskets, I am wondering if the gaskets just rest on top of the lower manifold lip or is it supposed to be seated inside the lower manifold opening (tube)? I currently have it in the first position, but it doesn't look right as the gasket is exposed after tightening all the 12 screws. Thanks.
This is right: the gaskets just rest on top of the lower manifold lip.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default glitch...

Originally Posted by ajg617
So is carbon build-up cleaning a given on all the FSI engines at some point? I purchased my 06 3.2 with 74K on it last year. I'm getting great mileage (over 27 hand calc'd on two recent trips to upstate NY), no codes or CEL (I probably just jinxed myself). But, on cold start, the car seems to sputter after backing out of garage and then pulling out of the driveway. It only happens on first acceleration. Stop at the end of driveway and pull out, no problem.

I also get a 'glitch' when coming to a stop sign and hitting the accelerator to drive through - but that feels more like the transmission not making up its mind whether to stay in 2nd or drop into 1st. If I give it a couple of seconds, take-off is smooth and responsive. If I don't come to a complete stop, the engine stumbles (or trans).
Welcome to owning a C6. That trans shift stumble is "somewhat" normal. The cleaning will help a little. Resetting the transmission settings with vag com will also help. It has a "learning" type of software and will adjust for your specific style of driving. I have tried everything I know to get mine to smooth out what you have described and to shift while going up mild inclines and it will not.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up and info here...by any chance does anyone know how to do this on the 4.2FSI?
Old 07-18-2015, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am in the middle of this cleaning job as I write this. My car is an A4 3.2 with ~160, 000 Km on the clock so it's time. I am curious about the deposits on the valves, though. I sort of expected them to be fluffy and easy to remove with the walnut blaster but instead I find the deposits are really gummy, almost oily. I am using Kleenflo Air Intake Kleen on the intake valves and it works pretty well but it contains acetone, Xylene and Toluene which are not plastics friendly at all.

There are also some really disgusting deposits on the intake runners and upper intakes that are also on the gummy side so they do not seem to clean up too well. I have tried naptha, varsol, Kleenflo brake cleaner with varying degrees of success but a rough layer of crud remains.

Would this indicate an issue with the PCV system? Can the PCV assembly be cleaned?

Quick Reply: 3.2L FSI, How to inspect carbon deposit on intake valves and clean it