A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

GAS GAUGE/BRAKE LIGHTS....HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS GAUGE/BRAKE LIGHTS....HELP!!

Hey Audi Owners: I have had my 2005 A6 for about 2 months. It has 112k miles and it runs great. However, there are a few issues that drive me insane. First, I was getting a notification on my dash that the rear brake light and rear right turn signal were out. So I replaced all the little light bulbs, very tedious, and it still throws a notification sometimes. It always resets when I restart the car and I would say that it goes off once a day or every other day.

The other issue is that I had 1/8 of a tank of gas and when I turned my car on the needle fell to E. I put 3 gallons in the tank immediately and the needle didn't move. I then went to another gas station and just filled up all the way and the needle went back up to Full. Over the weekend, on one occasion, the needle fell to E again but the next morning it was back up.

What should I do? Do I need to replace the bulbs with ONLY Audi bulbs or something? And should I put a cleaner in the tank to clean out any dirt on the sensors?

Help a gal out!!!

Kristine
Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well hello there, and welcome.

both of these issues you mentioned are pretty common with our cars.

1. the tail light , i believe its your LED strip, which the bulbs are not replaceable without replacing the entire unit. Some have found a way around it by cleaning the connections, running a new wire etc. im not sure how handy are ya and if it will actually be the right remedy.
i had to replace BOTH of mine, they run about $240 each.

2. The fuel tank issue, it happened to me as well a few times, it has been ok for now. keeping my fingers crossed. this is due to a FUEL sender Sensor, in the gas tank. i have not replaced mine yet, but i will have to sooner or later.

there is the link in relation to the fuel tank/ gauge issue.

http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Electrica...0refueling.pdf

i am sure others will add more to the situation , but just wanted to briefly shed some light for you.

PC

Last edited by pcamaj; 10-22-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply! I have heard a few things and wasn't quite sure what is true and what isn't. As far as the bulbs go, is it true that I need to be buying Audi bulbs that send enough electricity back to the computer instead of generic ones? Replacing the housing sounds expensive so maybe i will try to clean the housing.

As far as the fuel gauge goes, should I try an additive to clean out the system?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by A6utah.gal
Thanks for the reply! I have heard a few things and wasn't quite sure what is true and what isn't. As far as the bulbs go, is it true that I need to be buying Audi bulbs that send enough electricity back to the computer instead of generic ones? Replacing the housing sounds expensive so maybe i will try to clean the housing.

As far as the fuel gauge goes, should I try an additive to clean out the system?
I have had both tail light assemblies replaced after experiencing the same symptoms you described. Sadly you need to replace the entire unit and not just the bulbs.

The fuel gauge issue is a software issue.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had exact issues. Good thing I have vagcom. Taillight bulb housing needed to be replaced (not the whole taillight) and that was $60 I believe. Fuel gauge showing empty was the is the sensor on fuel pump. I haven't fixied it yet but all works well so far, but the kit to fix is ~$40 on genuineaudiparts.com