A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 4F steering column lock actuator part number

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 4F steering column lock actuator part number

Hi forum,

I have a defective steering column lock actuator. My car is an early A6 4F (early 2005 build date) and I think the steering column lock actuator part has been superseded by a newer part number for these early 4F models.

I have seen the part number 4F0-419-512-R used in an earlier post. Is this the correct part number for the replacement?

Currently, I am clearing the error with VCDS whenever the car is 'dead' due to the steering lock error.

Also, as the car's value is so low now, is there a way to just bypass or remove this locking feature of the steering column as it's something that is not needed by me?

Thanking you in advance.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sparks555
Hi forum,

I have a defective steering column lock actuator. My car is an early A6 4F (early 2005 build date) and I think the steering column lock actuator part has been superseded by a newer part number for these early 4F models.

I have seen the part number 4F0-419-512-R used in an earlier post. Is this the correct part number for the replacement?

Currently, I am clearing the error with VCDS whenever the car is 'dead' due to the steering lock error.

Also, as the car's value is so low now, is there a way to just bypass or remove this locking feature of the steering column as it's something that is not needed by me?

Thanking you in advance.
You can check your part number here - Audi - A6 - 2009 Teile Katalog (Pats Catalog)

As for bypassing or removeing this locking feature of the steering column, I can't help you.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi royclark,

Thank you for the parts catalogue listing. It has confirmed the correct part number thank you.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Driveable?

Originally Posted by sparks555
Got the same error today, cleared it with my VCDS.

Have you been able to drive the car reliably after resetting? If this error only seems to occur when trying to start the car, it's easy enough to reset.

But if I'm driving down the road and have sudden loss of steering control at speed beyond PARK, well ...

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dhbpac
Got the same error today, cleared it with my VCDS.

Have you been able to drive the car reliably after resetting? If this error only seems to occur when trying to start the car, it's easy enough to reset.

But if I'm driving down the road and have sudden loss of steering control at speed beyond PARK, well ...

Thanks!
Other people reported the same issue and attributed it to the old battery. I would start with getting new battery.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi dhbpac,

I haven't yet replaced the steering column lock actuator.

The car drives without any issue except for the flashing warning signal in the dash. If you don't engage the steering lock when parking (if it is keyless start) you don't even need to reset it using VCDS.

I recharged my battery and have had it tested to get a new one but it tested ok so I am not sure if a new battery can really cure the error but I have read here that someone had this success after installing a new battery.

Let me know if you find a fix without replacing the steering column lock actuator.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'd have a tough time believing the battery would be the culprit but it IS 10 years old, after all - so worth replacing.

I've been driving it without any trouble, as long as I use the START/STOP buttons on the console and not the key in the dash.

Although ... last night the battery in the remote died & I had to put the key in the dash. Thought I was gonna be hozed this morning, but it actually didn't lock the column! Buying me a couple of spare batteries tonight ...