A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 air bag light

Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I did buy the Bentley manual last year and see TSB 69-06-02 for air bag light software upgrade. That TSB says under condition:
  • Airbag warning light illuminates due to sporadic fault entry
  • The codes could be present "sporadic" in airbag control module: 01211, 01212, 01213, 01638 and 01639
  • The rear seatbelt pretensioner igniters will continue to function as designed if fault codes are set as sporadic faults
It then goes on to inform how to do the software upgrade. It sounds like this might take care of the problem if the codes above are present. Am I reading this correctly?

I do not see a TSB that indicates hardware or wiring replacement, though people seem to have had this done. I don't mind paying reasonable costs to replace malfunctioning hardware (especially if it's safety-related), but I do want to minimize some exploratory time, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with the light in my '05 AllRoad. Admittedly it is the last of the old platform, but it went in to the dealer 5 times where they replaced darn near everything and couldn't get it fixed. I believe I read on this forum that there was a TSB for a faulty quick-disconnect plug underneath the driver's seat that needed to be modified. Essentially, the wire(s) pertaining to the airbag monitoring system were pulled from the connector and spliced together physically. Haven't had a problem in the 4-plus years since. Worth looking into since I'm willing to bet that even with the changes to the C6 platform, the pieces-parts are still the same.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, here's what VCDS gave me:

I understand from the TSB that perhaps software should be updated, and I understand here is that I should just clear this code since a heavy passenger sat in the back (with two other adults). Am I reading all this correctly? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like you just reset it and not let that heavy person sit in the middle back seat again ;p

Originally Posted by schalliol
Ok, here's what VCDS gave me:

I understand from the TSB that perhaps software should be updated, and I understand here is that I should just clear this code since a heavy passenger sat in the back (with two other adults). Am I reading all this correctly? Thanks!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by am_ver
Sounds like you just reset it and not let that heavy person sit in the middle back seat again ;p
Yeah, sounds crazy, but that's right, isn't it? I don't think that the pretensioner is actually defective or will fail to work even if I have someone sit back there from what I understand. If the unit is actually malfunctioning and could cause a safety issue for the rare rare time this would be needed, I would want to "fix it".
Old 08-01-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had this problem twice now. Do you think this is covered under Audi Pure Protection Platinum? It has Safety Restrain Systems are excluded, but aren't those airbags? because they have SRS labels. or does this include safety belts?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schalliol
Yeah, sounds crazy, but that's right, isn't it? I don't think that the pretensioner is actually defective or will fail to work even if I have someone sit back there from what I understand. If the unit is actually malfunctioning and could cause a safety issue for the rare rare time this would be needed, I would want to "fix it".
Were you able to work this out? Im going nuts!!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by haha bye
Were you able to work this out? Im going nuts!!
I just cleared the high weight code the two times it happened and as far as I understand it, this should be acceptable. As I understand it the air bags would still function properly, though I would love a second opinion.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SO what do you think about replacing the seatbelt. Ive heard a bunch of different ways to fix this at least temporarily. What vag cable are you using?
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As I understand it, there isn't a problem with the seatbelt and the sensor in the seat just says the weight is high, so I don't think replacing the seatbelt would solve it, but I am no tech. If there is an actual problem regarding the functionality of the seat belt or airbag, I want to handle this, but I don't mind resetting a code if safety isn't compromised. I used the Ross-tech VAG software/hardware you'll get if you look up the C6 on their Website.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A6 air bag light