A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 C6 Quattro led rear brake light failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 C6 Quattro led rear brake light failure

Hi i had a rear fog warning light pop up but it was fine, so i changed anyway only then for the rear brake light drivers side to fail moments later?The whole led strip has failed which is very strange what have i done?Is this an electrical issue ?
Old 12-15-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this happen twice now, once on each side. Mine is pre facelift, so it might be different, but what happened was the ground pin built up a bunch of corrosion.

I got into the trunk, pulled a little round plastic plug, and then removed the 13mm nut that held in the tail light. Then, I used a hard plastic wedge on the front of the tail light to pop it out. Once I got the thing out, I removed the electrical connector.

Once I looked into the connector on the tail light, I could clearly see that there was a lump of corrosion that had built up on one of the pins. I ran to radio shack and got some deox-it. I sprayed that in both sides of the connector, and let it soak for a minute. Then, I got a small screw driver and carefully scraped the pin that was corroded.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures either time, but it's a pretty simple procedure. Again, my tail lights are probably different, but it's definitely worth taking a look to see if you have any pins that are corroded.

One note is that the last time I did this, the only problem I had was getting the darn connector back on. I think the deox-it caused the rubber seal to swell a little, and no amount of force my (big) hands could generate would get the thing back on. So, I had to (very) carefully brace the connector against the car while I leaned on the tail light. I was terrified that I was going to break something, or scratch the car, but it ended up working.