A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

A6 at a Drive In theater question. Lights on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 at a Drive In theater question. Lights on.

Wonder if anyone knows of a solution. I take my wife and 2 kids to the Drive In theater at least once a month. Last month, we took my A6. Is there any possible way to have the radio on, but the lights off? Can't figure it out if it's possible. When you open the door, the car lights up like a Christmas tree.

We usually sit outside the car, but it started to rain and had to leave since I couldn't figure out how to shut off exterior lights.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You turn off exterior lights with the light switch.
Turn the radio on with the radio switch, no need to have the ignition on.
The radio will turn off after a short time, just press the volume **** by the radio switch to turn it back on.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by royclark
You turn off exterior lights with the light switch.
Turn the radio on with the radio switch, no need to have the ignition on.
The radio will turn off after a short time, just press the volume **** by the radio switch to turn it back on.
After that, then I think we're stuck in the car since when you open a door, everything outside comes on and the other issue, is if it's raining, can't use the windshield wipers since the lights will come on with the ignition. Think a solution would be is take a different car.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

headlight switch off, indoor lights off, disable DRL?
Old 07-23-2015, 01:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go into the MMI and turn coming home and what not off. That will keep the lights from coming on when you open the doors.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone know how to keep the radio on for more than 15-20 mins? I thought I read somewhere when you hit the volume button, the radio would stay on for an hour.

Labor day weekend the wife and I went to the drive-ins. They had what what they were calling "From Dusk til Dawn" where they played 4 movies, with the first starting at 730, and the last starting at 230am. It was a good time, except the radio shut off every 15 mins or so. It would always go off during suspense or action scenes, causing great irritation. Towards the end of the night, I got in the habit of tapping the volume **** twice during slow parts of the film to reset the timer. I was going to try with the ignition on, but engine off, but I knew that would cause great battery drain, and the dash would stay lit up, distracting from the movie.

Also, about the battery drain... Towards the end of one movie, a message came on the MMI stating the radio would shut off in 3 mins. I had not gotten this message all night. I pulled up the battery meter, but it still said 100%. I had checked the meter numerous times throughout the night, and it never moved from 100%. To be safe I started the car, and noticed it was a little labored. I thought I read somewhere about re-calibrating the meter, but was unable to find it.

One more thing... I have the Bose 10 speaker surround system. I thought this would sound great at the drive-ins, but when I got there, and went into the sound settings, the surround portion was grayed out. I was unable to use it. It still sounded pretty good, but I was a little disappointed. I can only figure its because the radio is an analog signal, and the iPod and Sirius are a digital signal?

We loved taking the Audi to the drive-ins. The power seats were extremely comfortable to sit through 4 movies with, and I enjoyed the sound (for the most part). However, by the end of the night, I was questioning whether or not we would take it again, because the radio going off every 15 mins was annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas? Perhaps is there a way to reprogram the timer with a VAG-COM? Any help would be greatly appreciated.