A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Advice about heated steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice about heated steering wheel

Hi all

I need help or advice for swapping a heated steering wheel. I bought HSW for my 2006 a6 and I did swap it. It was straight forward it took me like half an hour. So my question is do i need some module or connector or something else because when I was about to install the new HSW I noticed that there is no pins inside the socket for the heat connector.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*your new wheel has the button on back side?

**also not sure if this comes into play but it may be working already but its not cold enough... some HSW modules dont work unless its below a certain temp and heated seats are on

NOW
i think the module that handles HSW has multi purposes.. heater heated seats etc
IIRC there isnt JUST a HSW module
which means u already have that module

most likely but NOT guaranteed... it IS able to function the HSW
...in other words sometimes the module depending on the version may have less capabilities ... the newer versions have more updates and can handle more functions

example: the park assist module ..older versions just 4 rear sensors and sound...mid versions 4front 4rear sensors..new versions 4front 4rear sensors and camera

im guessing if its not working already u just have to use VCDS to get in the module and enter or change some short coding...basically telling the module HSW now exists and to listen and respond when u press the button on HSW

sounds difficult but its not ..assuming u have a version of module that handles HSW... BTW i dont know the short code or where to enter it in the VCDS but rosstech would know or u may get lucky w google

im optimistic that it does bc i haven't heard of modules not being able to handle HSW functions... heated steering wheel was a too common feature

if u discover it doesn't handle it then your looking to swap in a newer version module ... shouldn't be too pricey but then u could also sell your old module ... to recoup some $

i hope im right on this and have helped out
GL

let us know how it works out

Last edited by MainlandMig; 02-04-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:16 PM
IMD
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi MainlandMig and thanks for the response. Ok I understand what you're saying. I did a lot of research for the HSW. I know it has to be programmed to work. So it sees to me straight foward and I pull the trigger and ordered one from Germany.
Two weeks later the item arrived and I do have Elsawin which it's very helpful and i do swapped my self. So when I remove the air bag there are three sockets in the clock spring. One for the air bag, one for the buttons and one for the heat, and this is where my problem starts. The third socket which is for the heat it should have two male pins but in my case there is none just empty socket it's like there are broken or something and I don't think so that a different module is required. Also according to etka about parts for the steering wheel which are steering column module, clockspring , turnsignals arm, cruse control arm, wipers arm and the steering wheel it self and nowhere is mention a module for the heat option or something that points to it.

Thanks for the help.

And some History of the car I do have the cold package.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IMD
And some History of the car I do have the cold package.
i thought CWP meant HSW was included?... but anyway

ok i think i followed what you said
i want to make sure we are talking about the same thing
when i mention "module" im either referring to the (for lack of a better words)physical computer box (not the climate control head unit) or im talking about the area in the VCDS menu screen.

i found a power steering wheel retro fit @ audiforum.us
and they got into the HSW a bit
(looks like i was wrong when i wrote that the heater control module handles the HSW) but heres some good text

"For the steering wheel heating you just need the steering wheel control unit (horse-shoe-shaped thing that sits just behind the wheel on top of the steering column). This needs to have a connector for wheel heating. You don't need anything else, apart from coding the new unit. I also don't think this particular module will go into component protection mode, so no visit to dealer's needed either.

AJAX"

CLICK for full thread

do u have this module?

Last edited by MainlandMig; 02-04-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi to the group,
I, too am trying to install a HSW in my '06 Avant for the Winter! I have located a SW but am confused about which module to purchase and does it come with the wires (harness) leading to the switch connector in the steering wheel from (I would imagine) the spiral spring? If not, where has anyone sourced the connectors to make the harness?
Thanks, Kurt
Old 09-04-2014, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You need to change the clockspring too. You need the "B" version with the pins for the heated wheel plug. I just bought one to add to my Q7 to keep the wife happy.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn.. Now i also want a heated one..😞😄
How fast does it heat up?
/H
Old 09-04-2014, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hrc4u
Damn.. Now i also want a heated one..😞😄
How fast does it heat up?
/H
My Heated Steering Wheel is almost unnoticeable (as in you won't really feel it get "hot") unless it's really cold outside. In fact the only time I ever "notice" it is when I it's around 20 or below. That's when you realize "oh, my hands aren't freezing" but you never actually feel it get "hot" like the heated seats do. Same thing with my old A6 and other A6 drivers can probably say the same.
I did test drive a Lexus earlier this year in sub freezing temps and the steering wheel got nice and warm. Kinda sucks the A6 isn't like that.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok..😊 Hmm..could help anyway.. As we got around -22 f over here..😀😃
Old 09-08-2014, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hrc4u
Ok..😊 Hmm..could help anyway.. As we got around -22 f over here..😀😃
My owners manual tells us the wheel is supposed to get to 82 degrees F and maintain that temp. Well below body temps but way warmer than a 18 degree night here in the Winter.
Kurt

Quick Reply: Advice about heated steering wheel