A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Anyone w/ adaptive headlights experience shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I have the same exact problem!!!!!

Finally I found someone with the same issue! Shortly after I purchased my A6 I noticed the same problem, which it didnt always happen but did 90% of the times... I thought the headlight was loose or something. I brang the car into the dealership and they mentioned everything was in place and nothing was loose, they also re adjusted the headlight settings. The problem still continued. I was pretty annoyed as you can imagine. To make a long story short.. I have been in & out of different dealersships. Twice I have had a "tech" drive the vehicle with me in it to diagnose the problem. Crazy as it sounds, those 2 times the headlights did not shake!!! It drove me crazy. and the techs think im crazy. They said they never had a complaint ot noticed this type of problem. I have beeb trying to get the Audi dealer to replace the lights, but they say they cant replace a problem they cant diagnose. Also... I have driven and sen other Audi;s and have not seen this problem, I really think its a headlight fault or defective headlight.. oh, and several times in the front speedometer consule a warning popped up saying "adaptive headlight defective" but once the car is turned off and back on it goes away. SO ANNOYING! what to do in this matter so Audi can replace the whole headlight system?>?????? please help
Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but i've got this problem too. The right headlamp vibrates, its incredible annoying as it shakes and flickers on the highway signes, cars, and even on the wall when i pull into the garage. If you close one of the car doors it even shakes.

Dealer says:

1. Could be mounts, could be bad headlight
2. They want to charge me $240 to take the bumper off to see what the problem is.
3. if its a bad headlight, N/C for everything
4. if its a bad mount, "maybe" the mount repair kit for $54 will do it, if not $900 for a new lamp.

HELP! It drives me nuts, there has got to be a better solution.. Any way to tell if its internal or external mounts?

There is a TSB on it: http://www.uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Headlights%20vibrate.pdf

That one says if no damage found, and adaptive headlamps are affected (which I do have), then refer to TSB 2018787

Anyone have this TSB?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default same here

My 05 A6 with adaptive xenons has this same vibration ... just from the right side headlight.

Bugged me at first, now not so much.

But it is a problem.

FWIW range rovers, LR3s and RR Sports do this too -- (when they have adaptive light option, ie not the regular xenons).
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well if it is an adaptive issue - in that case it should be a simple fix.

Adaptive headlights work only in the Auto mode and not on manual on mode (or so they used to work on the bimmer), so if we just turn the switch all the way right... that should kill the adaptive feature.

Originally Posted by BVegas
My 05 A6 with adaptive xenons has this same vibration ... just from the right side headlight.

Bugged me at first, now not so much.

But it is a problem.

FWIW range rovers, LR3s and RR Sports do this too -- (when they have adaptive light option, ie not the regular xenons).
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by am_ver

Adaptive headlights work only in the Auto mode and not on manual on mode (or so they used to work on the bimmer), so if we just turn the switch all the way right... that should kill the adaptive feature.
Ok i'll try driving w/the switch all the way to the right; if it still shakes i'm going to say its general mounts that have gone bad?
Old 10-23-2009, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about that - my adaptive lights work in manual mode. I never use the auto mode, and always turn my lights on manually.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuckee98
Not sure about that - my adaptive lights work in manual mode. I never use the auto mode, and always turn my lights on manually.
Do your lights turn when you turn the wheel in manual mode?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do your lights turn when you turn the wheel in manual mode?
My understanding of our adaptive headlights are that they are self-adjusting to different load conditions (say, extra heavy load in trunk raising headlight beam too high), not the type that turns with the car.

Am I wrong? I know the lights move around slightly when the car is first started (indicating they are calibrating to the current load of the car), but I haven't noticed them panning to adjust to a turn.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

oh yeah they do.. atleast on mine... the initial up-down is to compensate for load in the car. And then when you turn, the lights turn with the steering - it should be easy for you to check, while in park, turn the steering all the way in one direction. you will notice more light on that side. maybe you can get out of the car and look at the lights too.

Originally Posted by scooter80
My understanding of our adaptive headlights are that they are self-adjusting to different load conditions (say, extra heavy load in trunk raising headlight beam too high), not the type that turns with the car.

Am I wrong? I know the lights move around slightly when the car is first started (indicating they are calibrating to the current load of the car), but I haven't noticed them panning to adjust to a turn.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 874 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter80

Adaptive Bi-Xenon lights that turn with the car were standard with the 4.2 and an option on the 3.2. So if you have a 4.2, or a 3.2 with the Premiuim Option package, you have the adaptive turnng lights. They all came standard with the self-levelling lights.

Quick Reply: Anyone w/ adaptive headlights experience shaking?