A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Apple TV, Tech Mods and more in Audi A6

Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiapple
A teaser photo before I finish writing the article - to any non-believers:
Impressive.
I'm not sure if this has been asked, however i would assume you can control the on-screen content through the mmi-****?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rumburak
Impressive.
I'm not sure if this has been asked, however i would assume you can control the on-screen content through the mmi-****?
That would be truly impressive - but it is controllable via an ios device or the apple remote - the mmi can pull it up and get you going that far
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Still pretty cool. thanks for the clarification
Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Audiapple, thanks so much for this. You have no idea how helpful this is. I've been spending way too much time researching how to do this. I do have a question for you... why do you need the xcarlink in the equation? Why couldn't you just go straight from the AppleTV to the MMI monitor? Sorry, I'm obviously not as tech savvy as you are.

I'm looking to do this on my 2011 Audi Q5 (3G MMI with Nav), and all I really want is to mirror my iPhone 4S. I was wanting to use the Apple TV so I could AirPlay mirror my iPhone to the ATV.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely something I want to do.

I have a few questions, I have a viseeo bluetooth phone and audio setup, can i put this in alongside the viseeo box and the cd changer?
will the car recognise it as a tv/video box?

I think i might look into an android tv type box for this.

well done on the install, looks very slick.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by morgdaddy
Audiapple, thanks so much for this. You have no idea how helpful this is. I've been spending way too much time researching how to do this. I do have a question for you... why do you need the xcarlink in the equation? Why couldn't you just go straight from the AppleTV to the MMI monitor? Sorry, I'm obviously not as tech savvy as you are.

I'm looking to do this on my 2011 Audi Q5 (3G MMI with Nav), and all I really want is to mirror my iPhone 4S. I was wanting to use the Apple TV so I could AirPlay mirror my iPhone to the ATV.
Nevermind, I think I get it now. You need the XCarLink to do the conversion from MOST to composite video, right? Question about the audio... does that run from the XCarLink to the Audi stereo, or do you run it to the AMI in the glovebox or center console?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your MMI manual morgdaddy; I remembered seeing this in mine (3G Nav+)
If you have Nav+ this may work for you and simplify everything.
All you would need is the
HDMI/Composite converter HDMI/Composite converter

4F0051510N

Am ordering one for my D4 and will test on our C6 as well to see if it does anything and report back.

To answer your other question, yes the XCarLink routes audio and video.
I looked into it extensively as an alternative to AMI on my D3.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nevermind, I think I get it now. You need the XCarLink to do the conversion from MOST to composite video, right? Question about the audio... does that run from the XCarLink to the Audi stereo, or do you run it to the AMI in the glovebox or center console?
On a 3G MMI the xcarlink runs the MOST audio to the CD player and the video through the DVD - they do work together when you select external AV and mirroring is exactly why I like this product - you do not use the AMI interface on a 3G but it is an option on the 3G+ I prefer doing it once and running it all the time with the vehicle as I like to change my options (aux - iPod/bluetooth) with AMI and leaving the Apple TV always connected like a stock set up - that is purely preference though...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have an audi dvd player in my car, do i need one to connect the xcarlink to or can it connect to the back of the mmi screen?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bazery
I don't have an audi dvd player in my car, do i need one to connect the xcarlink to or can it connect to the back of the mmi screen?
What year is your A6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Apple TV, Tech Mods and more in Audi A6