A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Apple TV, Tech Mods and more in Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which size fuse to use?

Any update on the size of fuse? I am hoping to go with the middle row of fuses which turn off when the ignition turns off.

Originally Posted by mrpeterparker
anything further on this front? I just ordered all the parts to do the same install.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Power inverter

For those who have done this build, have you had any issues with the power inverter? From the manual, it says (at least as I understand it) to not have any load connected while powering the unit (or turning on the ignition/engine). For this reason, I am concerned about having this hardwired to the vehicle. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 03-30-2016, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Before I cut off the cigarette lighter and wired it into the fuse, I tested out the system. Using VCDS to turn on video while the car was moving was a cinch. However, the video signal from the Apple TV to converter to the Audi dongle seemed loose and spotty at times. (Think of watching a TV with bunny ears back in the 80s). The video signal lacked richness and sometimes there was a lag with Apple TV connecting.

The one thing I appreciated about the build was the built-in A/C from my glove compartment.

I was disappointed with the whole set up so I dismantled it.

Originally Posted by ebi718
For those who have done this build, have you had any issues with the power inverter? From the manual, it says (at least as I understand it) to not have any load connected while powering the unit (or turning on the ignition/engine). For this reason, I am concerned about having this hardwired to the vehicle. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tdi.andover
Before I cut off the cigarette lighter and wired it into the fuse, I tested out the system. Using VCDS to turn on video while the car was moving was a cinch. However, the video signal from the Apple TV to converter to the Audi dongle seemed loose and spotty at times. (Think of watching a TV with bunny ears back in the 80s). The video signal lacked richness and sometimes there was a lag with Apple TV connecting.

The one thing I appreciated about the build was the built-in A/C from my glove compartment.

I was disappointed with the whole set up so I dismantled it.
I have a similar setup (here) though with an Android TV box. My main concern was with placing a hard-wired 120V power inverter behind my dashboard, out of immediate reach. I eventually went with a 12v DC to 5v 3amp 'buck converter' connected to an empty / switched circuit in my fuse box). At the end, it has a 5.5mm x 2.5mm Barrel Male Plug Connector which connects to the 5v DC input of my Android TV box. It has worked well so far - no complaints.