A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE DAREDEVIL

Originally Posted by daredevil1
Incorrect. You need a stubby ratchet, small hands and a lot of patience. The driver's side is harder than the passenger side.
Daredevil, have you done this DIY? any advice on what to expect? I'll be tackling this during the holidays and any helpful input is greatly needed! TIA..!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2008 Audi A6 Quattro 3.2 timing cover oil leaks

Originally Posted by !staudi35
Daredevil, have you done this DIY? any advice on what to expect? I'll be tackling this during the holidays and any helpful input is greatly needed! TIA..!
Was just told by Audi mine is leaking from timing chain cover as well quoted $730.00 labour and 80.00 parts how did you make out with diy? please advise considering this as well. Note is there any good pictures and info available for doing this job. It would be very helpful.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AlteredEgo79
I currently have a case in with AOA regarding an oil leak concern. It has been an issue for me for the last 80k miles in which I have been noticing oil residual all over the bottom of the undercarriage and bottom engine cover. On multiple visits I addressed this concern to the dealers and for the most part I was told that what I was seeing was just residual (bunch of BS) however the actual cause was just detected. All the oil has been coming from the rear timing chain cover gaskets and all this time I was always told from the dealers that there was no leaks found. Big problem is that most of us are outside of out warranty and stuck with a rather large repair of around $3 - $4k (primarily labor time of dropping engine and tranny). There is a good chance our 3.2L engines may have a design flaw. At this point Im still waiting to hear back from AOA on how they want to procede with my case. In the meantime any of you who have the 3.2L engine who have or are currently experiencing this same issue, please give your feedback and note your concern. Audi may have been hiding a huge repair that should have been recalled. And its my best guess that since this leaking of oil is not necessarily a "safety" concern they never went forward with a recall because it would involve a lot of repairs and a lot of money out of their pocket.

Hit me up guys.

Thanks

Has anyone attempted to reseal this themselves? I was quoted at $750 to do this.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 04_ultrasport
It is not necessary to drop the engine to reseal the timing chain covers, it can be done in the car. I've resealed chain covers on 3.2L a lot and it is a common problem. The covers use sealant not a gasket and over time they start to leak just like any other cover on the cars. Its really not all that different than getting a leak from the cylinder head covers. Over time and depending on the climate around you will determine how long it takes for them to start leaking.
Hey there, glad I found this thread. I'm having exact same issue. Can you direct me to some resources on how to reseal this? Hoping I can get away with some sealant and a little garage time instead of paying dealership.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ement-2861500/
Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My mechanic reported the same issue to me. I am not noticing any oil leak. My car has 180+k and the oil is still full after 2000 miles. He said the biggest risk is losing oil so I think I will let this go for a while. He too said the only way to replace is to drop the Quattro transmission.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tsbruford
My mechanic reported the same issue to me. I am not noticing any oil leak. My car has 180+k and the oil is still full after 2000 miles. He said the biggest risk is losing oil so I think I will let this go for a while. He too said the only way to replace is to drop the Quattro transmission.
Take a look at a volks indie mechanics. There's absolutely no need to remove the tranny to replace those end cap cover. A friend of mine quote me 2 hours and 20$ of parts.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I feel like I can properly chime in on this. Last weekend I got mine resealed via DIY. It absolutely does not require dropping the engine to get the job done. In fact, it should take no more than a 3-4 hours tops. It's fairly straight forward and I followed it via this video(mostly):

Last edited by c@@kiemonsta; 10-05-2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way, ALWAYS use 0W40 or 5W40 oil and you won't get this timing chain problem. Using *w30 oil is terrible for this engine on the long run.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default TIMING CHAIN COVER GASKET FAILURE

MY WIFES 05 A6 3.2 HAS THE SAME ISSUE. TOOK ME FOREVER TO FIND IT.
I INITIALLY THOUGHT IT WAS VALVE COVER BECAUSE OIL WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE. DONT KNOW HOW LONG ITS BEEN GOING ON BECAUSE THE BOTTOM AERO CAUGHT MOST OF IT. YOU CAN REPLACE IT YOUR SELF HOWEVER IT IS NOT A WEEKEND JOB. I WAS REPLACING THE EXHAUST AND SPOTTED MINE. I JUST WENT AHEAD AND REPLACED THEM. WATCH YOUR KNUCKLES ON THIS ONE FOLKS! ONLY COST YOU A FEW DOLLARS AND TIME. NOT 3 OR 4 Gs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!