A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Automatic headlights (light sensor) defective - Here it comes... :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic headlights (light sensor) defective - Here it comes... :-(

There it is - my first 'serious' problem with my 05 4.2. I just can't beleive it - light sensor is faulty. How in a world can it be faulty? Its just a freaking photodiode! My 95 Chrysler still has it working ok.

Anyway - frustration mounts... I was driving the whole day today and the sensor was working just fine (being extra-sensitive, as it was mentioned on this forum before - and I am fine with that).

Then, after a nice dinner with my friends got back to the car, started the engine and wanted to show Queens folks how a car should be driven around NYC - the same moment it just BEEPS in my face real rude and shows dreaded yellow symbol (and message): 'Automatic Headlights / automatic wipers defective'.

I just can't beleive my luck! Just the thought of indifferent mechanics abusing my beautiful C6A6 at the dealership with their arrogance and dirty hands makes my stomach fall below the bladder... Really...

There is a suspicion though: when I stop the engine it correctly identifies that there is night outside and light's up the console. Can it be still working ok when engine is off?

As funny as it may sound my even bigger concern is that they will 'forget' to screw in all the proper bolts back in the dashboard (which I think they will just HAVE TO remove to fix this) and here we go - is going to rattle in my face with nobody being able to fix it. I just hate all this with all my guts.

Did anyone had this experience before? How well and where it was fixed (if you know)?

May be the computer just needs to be reset (aka the procedure with advanced key)? Some ice on the sensor (i checked it though)...

May be if I'll drive for the next couple of days it will go away?

I would greatly appreciate all comments you can share!
Old 03-04-2006, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default That bites! Consider taking the car out of state.

I feel for you, man. You live in an area where there are plenty of "haves" and "have-nots". Usually the mechanics are the latter and don't particularly care about a fine automobile and would treat it like a Toyota or something (nothing against Toyota, mind you). An Audi A6 is valuable and should be treated as such.

Consider taking the vehicle out of state (or out of the city, at least) to an area where you think you may get the service you want. (Attention forum: I'm not knocking NYC so I don't want to hear it. I've been there, I love it, too.)

My dealer would get shredded by their customers if they weren't completely cognizant of the car value and careful not to do a perfect job. You should expect the same - I'm sure there has to be some dealer somewhere in your general area that thinks the same. (If not...move!)

As to the lights, I have no suggestions. Please let us know the outcome in case it happens to one of us.

Good luck,

John

PS: Mine is now doing the "passenger mirror won't return to full up position after being in reverse" thing. Not major, but annoying none-the-less.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default There's good news, too

Sorry to hear about the problem. Fortunately, it should be easy to fix - relatively easily, anyway. The sensor is under the inside rear view mirror, so you shall have no squeaks and rattles as a result of a replacement.

The bad news: my tech (whom I generally trust) said that replacing the inside rear view mirror is pretty risky, that quite often the windshield breaks as part of the pprocedure.

Sometimes these issues do go away on their own - and then again reappear. So I think the worst that can happen is that you drive to the dealer and the it doesn't manifest itself. Still, there are worse things I think.

Good luck!
Old 03-04-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Take it to the dealer...

just get used to it! I'm sure you'll develop a close relationship with your SA over the next few years...(I know I already did over the past 5 months).

And be sure to post what the dealer says about the problem. Not all dealers are created equal.

And did your car have the CPO warranty?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Since light sensors control many functions other than just the headlights, try reset on-board....

computer can be a good idea. Sometime, it is nothing more than a fulty logical program routing. Press "Setup", MMI dialer and up right soft key at same time for a second will re-start the on-board computer. Other than that, dealer visit is about the only option you have.

Light sensor is inside rearview mirror, the part connected windshield. The common replacement problem was left air bubbles inside the sensor surface. It is a easy procedure, yet, take extrame care to do it right. Just check it closely when it gets done......

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Since light sensors control many functions other than just the headlights, try reset on-board...

Thanks man - I'll wait for a couple of days and then will try that!
Old 03-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Take it to the dealer...

I would absolutely do that. My initial experience with my dealer wasn't that bad. I had some questions about the tires and they openly told me that if I don't have tire coverage I'll be better off at some good tire shop replacing it - much cheaper for me. So, will see...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Really hope it is just the computer then...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ok, let me tell you what I think abt NYC... (i.e. you are right, John!)

John, I've been living in and around NYC for 7 years now and I really agree with you. When I was looking for my A6, one of the major criteria was that it WAS NOT driven in NYC... the best car to own here is 3-5 year old Ford or Dodge. Why - because you wouldn't really care if it is hit (while parked or on the street) or stolen (because it is not popular).

All NYC cars have scratches on front and rear bumpers - because people here park 'by sound', if you know what I mean. Another dreadful thingie here are parking garages. To park your car with your dual exhausts getting right into the concrete curb is no-biggie, even if it is $160k Bentley (saw it myself, ouch, that hurts!)

I will keep quiet about Manhattan dealerships - testdrive is the worst that can happen to a sales guy there - you must have an appointment and you'd better have good insurance... :-) Repair service - you're right - I couldn't have put it better myself - they don't care for your car, they don't care for you as a customer, they don't even care for your money. We used to call it 'communism' back in Russia - when nobody gives a s$%t about anything... Not a good place to be... :-(

Don't get me wrong ppl, I am not complaining. I am just as hardcore of a New Yorker as it gets. But, objectively, it just seems sometimes that the further you go from NYC the better are roads, more parking, calmer and nicer people and life overall is better... :-) the only drawback is - less jobs :-(

Here is a 'representative' example to prove my point: Dunkin Donuts (again :-)) We drove to Vermont to ski. 2,5 hours north from NYC, 3am in the morning we stop in God forgotten small town to get some gas and buy a sandwich - what I see is 24hr Dunkin Donuts open, 10 times as big as biggest in NYC and there are palm-trees inside!!! Should I mention a good service ... at 3 am at night...

On the contrary take Dunkin Donuts on ... Times Square. 24hrs? It closes at 11:30 pm (if not at 11 sharp), it is dirty, employees are dirty, they clean the floor, put out garbage, take money and serve you coffe with the same dirty hands! (no surprise), there is NO service (or there was nothing I would call service). So NYC, Times Square, citi that never sleeps??? Give me a f@#$ing break!!! I'd choose Vermont over NYC any day!

Pooh, sorry for emotions. Will go reset my MMI now...
Old 03-06-2006, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Light sensor problem seem to have gone away after on-board computer reset

Following the advice of hzhao I reset my on-board computer yesterday and up to now the message did not reappear. Will keep your guys posted.

Quick Reply: Automatic headlights (light sensor) defective - Here it comes... :-(