A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Average running cost per mile

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average running cost per mile

Hey guys,

So I'm still deciding between the 2007 Audi A6 3.2, A6 4.2, A8 4.2, and the Mercedes S550. What should I expect for average running costs to own each of these cars if I do most of the minor work (like replace light bulbs and oil changes) myself and if I get a professional for harder stuff? I'm also getting conflicting information on whether the A8 or the S550 would be cheaper to run

This is mostly going to be taken on 5-10 mile trips, with a few 200-400 mile road trips per year, but most of the time it's going to not be driven, so probably 7000-10000 miles per year, 80% highway

Running costs should be separate from insurance, gas, and depreciation (I'd probably keep this for several years, especially if it's an A8 or S550 lol)

I have a friend who loves Audis (judging by his glowing recommendations and from the 6 Audis his family has) and might be willing to help me out on repairs and stuff so that might bring the costs down (especially if I get an S550 and let him drive it lol)

(I'm only considering 2007 and later years because I consider a backup camera an important safety and parking feature)

P.S. - How hard is working on these cars anyway?
Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a very well maintained '06 A6 Avant 3.2 w/182K mi in May. I've put almost 16K mi since. I have all the service records since the PO bought the car 5/09 w/50K. Other than std maint during that time it's had the following issues: sunroof replacement (quite pricey), one intake manifold cleaning, both front wheel bearings, (150-170K). Also just before I bought the car the telephone module required replacing due to water leaking into passenger compartment due to clogged sun roof drains. The car has always used a little oil 1/2 to 1 qt for 2k mi. I think this is due to slight leak at cam seals at back of engine but not sure. As I bought it for $5k I'm prepared for some repair expense but so far it's been excellent. It averaged about 23 MPG and I've never excelled at feather footing it so I'm happy with that. I've attached my fuelly.com data, the high lows & lows generally correspond to a partially in NJ where attendants tend not to fill the tank as much as I. I have found that topping off the tank will sometimes cause a Check Engine light so avoid that by filling slowly & stopping when pump clicks off the 1st time. YMMV
Silver Blimp (Audi A6 Quattro) | Fuelly
Old 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wait, you got an 2006 A6 for $5000? What was the condition and asking price?
I'm seeing asking prices around $13K (130K miles, excellent condition) so even if I talk it down $3K that's still twice what you paid D:

What was your negotiating tactic? Were they about to move to Hawaii and had to get rid of the car that day?

Also, I found a really nice 2007 A6 4.2 that's in "immaculate condition," white (color I want,) has the camera and the V8 but with 129K miles, 2 owners, and "the transmission has a 'balky' shift in low gear"
The asking price is $7250, do you think I should offer $6000 and replace/fix the transmission (seems like a common issue?) or suspect it has been raced and would have bigger problems lurking?
Also Carfax says "lighter replaced/repaired" at 14126 miles. Does that mean they smoked in it or just had a faulty phone charger? (This might be why we've never bought a used car before...)

But it's $5k less than everyone else this might be a good deal if everything else checks out.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

If your trying to keep your running cost per mile down, I would stay away from the A8 and Mercedes S class provided that you don't have any warranty left. The Mercedes S class with its airmatic suspension will break the bank in short order and the A8 with the adaptive suspension can get quite costly with an 8 year old car.

My wife drives a 2007 A6 with the 4.2l engine. I really miss the power of a V8 engine, my previous V8 car was my 79 Toronado. I recently did a trans fluid/filter, front, center and rear differential fluid change at 85K miles. I runs a bit smother now with new fluids. The old fluids were dirty but not burnt.

The cheapest car to own is one that was properly maintained.

After owning a Mercedes (E class), the Audi is no more difficult to work on.

Last edited by A6 4.2 Vier; 11-25-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Couldn't I just switch out the air suspension to a high quality aftermarket system if I don't like the repair costs?
Seeing that all these cars can be had for under $20k, used parts shouldn't be that expensive since they can be salvaged anyway, right? I don't see how airmatic could demand a $5k repair if I could just swap in the shocks from another S550 (unless I got trapped in a stealership lol)
And still cheaper than buying new

Last edited by genealogyxie; 11-25-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

To minimize your risk, take the car (or have the owner do it) to an Audi dealer and have them check it out like a CPO car. It will cost you about $100 or so, but it is well worth it. Also, try to get the minatenance records, especially if maintained by an Audi dealer(s). Before I purchased my '06 A6 Avant in 2008, I had the seller take it to their local Audi dealer to check it out. I also went to my local dealer and had them print out the maintaince/repair records. With that information in hand, I ended up buying that car sight unseen (it was on the East coast, and I was 2700 miles west). After 6 years of ownership, no major problems and still running strong with 71K miles.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by genealogyxie
Wait, you got an 2006 A6 for $5000? What was the condition and asking price?
The condition is great and I was incredibly lucky! The PO was a really great guy who's been driving AUDI's since the 5000. He usually buys them off lease at 3 yrs., usually 50 K MI. He then piles up tons of miles (mostly Interstate) and maintains them extremely well. Rather than try to get absolute top dollar he contacts the indy dealer he usually buys the car from to find trade in value on his next car. Rather than go through the hassle of advertising and selling it himself he has the guy he buys from and does most of his maintenance mention it to customers interested in cheap, high mileage cars. This way neither the Indy guy or he have to do any vehicle prep, warranty, etc. I was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. I had called the Indy dlr looking for a replacement for my wife's oil-leaking '99 A6 Avant. He'd previously recommended I stay away fro the 2001-04 3.0 cars & suggested 3.2 '05 of later.
I'd found an '06 A6 Avant w/75K for $14K in Cincinnati and called for his advice. He said that was low retail but w/no warranty cause private owner not a great deal. He asked me if I was interested in very high mileage w/exceptional maint & records. prob $5 K & 180K mi. Done Deal! After we struck a deal on the phone he said he needed the car for another mo. as his A7 which replaced this car didn't have room to haul relatives visiting from Sweden around on tour of NYC & DC. During that time the Sunroof drains clogged and he had to have the telephone module replaced, which he did. Never suggested upping the price as he felt the deal was made on selling the car in good condition! A tremendous guy & great experience! These Avant's are scarce but I saw 2 very nice '07's sell for around $14K w/90-100K with all the bells & whistles. Sedans should be quite a bit cheaper. Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2014, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by genealogyxie
Couldn't I just switch out the air suspension to a high quality aftermarket system if I don't like the repair costs?
Seeing that all these cars can be had for under $20k, used parts shouldn't be that expensive since they can be salvaged anyway, right? I don't see how airmatic could demand a $5k repair if I could just swap in the shocks from another S550 (unless I got trapped in a stealership lol)
And still cheaper than buying new
Your correct, Arnott Industries makes quality aftermarket systems for Audi and Mercedes.

I was thinking of Mercedes ABC suspension that is very expensive to own not the Airmatic.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a Merc with ABC can easily cost you $10.000 in Repairs jus so you know