A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Belly Pan Retainer Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belly Pan Retainer Alternative

Lost all my belly pan retainers due to some wind blowing the cover I was laying on up while I was finishing the timing tensioner swap last week. Found one, and one was still in the pan being retained by it's rubber retainer.

Found it incredulous that the going rate for these things is about $3 each. Some part number research gave me a part number of 8D0805121, and after cross referencing that, found the Dorman part number 700-082 was a direct aftermarket cross.

A box of 10 of each piece was only $13.70 via Amazon. Conveniently, there are 10 holding the pan to the car (save for the other style ones at the front of the wheel wells obviously).

Thought I'd throw this out there as an alternative to paying too much for the same thing. I went ahead and replaced all the clips on the car with the new ones, and everything is snug and tight. The new retainers DID lock into the factory clips, but I figured why not just replace them as well anyway since I've got new ones. I did NOT use the washers for extra tension, there was no need. Plenty tight as is.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the input.....I was looking to buy screws for the belly pan I only have 3 on
Old 10-27-2014, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend checking out your dealer. Mine was generous enough to give them to me gratis. Obviously yours might not, but it's worth a shot. That's $13 saved.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird

Thought I'd throw this out there as an alternative to paying too much for the same thing. I went ahead and replaced all the clips on the car with the new ones, and everything is snug and tight. The new retainers DID lock into the factory clips, but I figured why not just replace them as well anyway since I've got new ones. I did NOT use the washers for extra tension, there was no need. Plenty tight as is.
Great to know Fastbird. Good find!!

I have seen the VAG quarter turn screws for much less than dealer at aftermarket sources, but those Dorman seem like a deal - the aftermarket do not include the fastener. I have found that Advance Auto can get anything Dorman and if you buy the whole box of the item, the pricing is wholesale.

Note that on Audi's, VAG uses two sizes. The OEM silver ones are a tad shorter than the black. The black tend to be used when fixing two under belly panels to the same bracket; such as clipping the tranny panel and engine to the bracket. If the Dorman are the longer black ones, then a washer would be perfect for taking up the entire length, if necessary.

One of the number one complaints I hear from owners crazy enough to go to a quick lube place is that they wind up with many missing fasteners. Audi and VW belly pans are notorious for ripping off at speed if the fasteners are missing. BTDT.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, these should be able to be ordered at any big box store. I'm an AutoZone guy myself (worked there pt time while I was in the military a few years ago for some extra $$$) and they wanted $28 for the 10 pack. Amazon had the best deal going if you have a prime account, as $14 with free two day shipping can't be beat. Ebay didn't have much in a way of deals, few bucks more.

They ARE a tad longer than the OEM Audi ones. But, the way the clips come in, they're offset at an angle that makes the retainer have to reach farther in the clip to fasten. It's actually far more snug now than it was prior.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The listing make it seem like it's only 1 clip. Doesn't say quantity. Do you mind sending me the link you used to buy it? I wouldn't want to spend $12 on 1 clip.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Its 10 per pack using the part number I originally posted.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Its 10 per pack using the part number I originally posted.
Can you provide a link to the box of 10? Since I can't seem to find them.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Great to know Fastbird. Good find!!

I have seen the VAG quarter turn screws for much less than dealer at aftermarket sources, but those Dorman seem like a deal - the aftermarket do not include the fastener. I have found that Advance Auto can get anything Dorman and if you buy the whole box of the item, the pricing is wholesale.

Note that on Audi's, VAG uses two sizes. The OEM silver ones are a tad shorter than the black. The black tend to be used when fixing two under belly panels to the same bracket; such as clipping the tranny panel and engine to the bracket. If the Dorman are the longer black ones, then a washer would be perfect for taking up the entire length, if necessary.

One of the number one complaints I hear from owners crazy enough to go to a quick lube place is that they wind up with many missing fasteners. Audi and VW belly pans are notorious for ripping off at speed if the fasteners are missing. BTDT.
I might have more than on missing. Now you got me worried I'll loose the pan. I have an Advance Auto next door but what do you mean buy the whole box? You don't mean a box of thousand screws do you?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is what I ordered. Price went up a little though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049D...5065354&sr=8-1

Quick Reply: Belly Pan Retainer Alternative