A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Best brake pads for front replacement 07 A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best brake pads for front replacement 07 A6

I have a 2007 Audi A6 and the front brake pads needs replacement i was wondering what is the best brake pad that is reasonable in price and effective in OEM Quality or above. I want my rotors and pads to last long but be able to brake effective at triple digits speeds if necessary.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High speed braking suggests a cermanic pad to keep the brake pedal from fading or being less effective once hot.

I noticed ECS Tuning had some very good pricing on pads/rotors.

Meanwhile I am about to swap out all brakes and went R1 Concepts based on prior experience.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you'll find AKEBONO pads to be relatively high priced at most conventional parts sources. The same pads as listed by ECS Tuning at $174.89 can be found on Amazon for $110.53 plus tax. Just sayin!
I'm personally torn between the AKEBONO's and HAWKS HPS non-ceramic. I think the Hawk have a quicker "bite" and good fade resistance similar to stock pads but don't create as much dust. A very experienced indy AUDI guy w/30 + yrs. selling/serviving/tracking AUDI's is not a big fan of Ceramics saying there initial bite is not as good and they're not as fade resistant. He recommends stock pads for the street & Hawk/Porterfield or something similar for the track. I find the stock pads on my '06 Avant a little "grabby" but have been very impressed when I've had a deer avoidance panic stop. Interestingly my wifes' '06 Avant w/stock pads as well doesn't seem to quite a grabby. YMMV
Old 06-08-2015, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
I have a 2007 Audi A6 and the front brake pads needs replacement i was wondering what is the best brake pad that is reasonable in price and effective in OEM Quality or above. I want my rotors and pads to last long but be able to brake effective at triple digits speeds if necessary.
Hi there,

This specific question has been asked and answered a number of times in this forum. IMHO, go with good quality regardless of what brand you buy. I've had great success w/Brembo and Zimmerman rotors. As for pads, I'm biased to Akebono, but have head good stuff about Hawk.

Here's a quick search:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...otors-2864245/
Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running ECB RedStuff ceramics.
I wouldn't use anything else now, much better than oem.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by royclark
I'm running ECB RedStuff ceramics.
I wouldn't use anything else now, much better than oem.
+1

I also get my rotors from BrakePerformance. Quality rotors for a good price.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Hi there,

This specific question has been asked and answered a number of times in this forum. IMHO, go with good quality regardless of what brand you buy. I've had great success w/Brembo and Zimmerman rotors. As for pads, I'm biased to Akebono, but have head good stuff about Hawk.

Here's a quick search:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...otors-2864245/
Akebono or EBC red stuff are contenders what is the difference with the ceramic and non ceramic what do you mean by fading as mentioned above. Main concern here is i had brakes and rotors all changed with OEM parts from dealer at 79K the car has 109K on it now and mechanic said the front rotors can go through another set of pads with no problem but i see you guys are mentioning rotors too.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the front rotors only have 30K on them then disregard. Just change the pads.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by haloguy628
If the front rotors only have 30K on them then disregard. Just change the pads.
+1, That's what I did when I changed my oem for RedStuff at 32k miles.
There was very little wear on the rotors or oem pads (front & rear).
Now with RedStuff pads there is much less dust and much better braking.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to replace my fronts this week with Zimmermann rotors and Akebono pads. My previous replacement set lasted 90k miles (and I don't drive like a grandma) - couldn't be happier.

Pelican parts has rotors for $66 a piece and Akebono pads are available on amazon for $65 (EUR 1111)

Quick Reply: Best brake pads for front replacement 07 A6