A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Best brake pads for front replacement 07 A6

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please let us know your results! My '06 has 212K and will be due for brakes soon. The '07 has 122K and appeared to have fresh brakes when I bought it at beginning of year.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

212k - wow!!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stuffinder
Please let us know your results! My '06 has 212K and will be due for brakes soon. The '07 has 122K and appeared to have fresh brakes when I bought it at beginning of year.
yes no problem i am probably going to get Akebono or EBC ref stuff just not sure price doesn't matter others have recommended akebono a lot. i will post back the results once i get the parts ordered thank you very much for all your input
Old 06-17-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
yes no problem i am probably going to get Akebono or EBC ref stuff just not sure price doesn't matter others have recommended akebono a lot. i will post back the results once i get the parts ordered thank you very much for all your input
I replaced OEM with Akebono on the A6 and regret it. They require more pedal pressure and don't respond well even then, especially when cold. They are slightly better after the first few stops. Not for me.
I am using Hawk HPS on my Ford Flex, heavier vehicle than the A6, and am a big fan of them. Depends what you're after. If you want no dust then go with the Akebono. If you want to stop quickly with no warm up time, then my choice is HPS.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that review of your experience w/Akebono! As I mentioned previously a very longtime indy AUDI guy had basically told me the same thing. Dust is not an issue for me, the cars are tools not toys. HAWK HPS and AUDI pads are about the same price. I see Bosch Quiet-Cast & TRW for about 1/2 price. Unless someone chimes in about positive experience with either of those I'll probably go with stock.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by occhis
I replaced OEM with Akebono on the A6 and regret it. They require more pedal pressure and don't respond well even then, especially when cold. They are slightly better after the first few stops. Not for me.
I am using Hawk HPS on my Ford Flex, heavier vehicle than the A6, and am a big fan of them. Depends what you're after. If you want no dust then go with the Akebono. If you want to stop quickly with no warm up time, then my choice is HPS.
i got the akebono because everyone was torn between them and hawks so ill get hawks next time for sure.. or may be even sooner if i don't like the akebono

Originally Posted by stuffinder
Thanks for that review of your experience w/Akebono! As I mentioned previously a very longtime indy AUDI guy had basically told me the same thing. Dust is not an issue for me, the cars are tools not toys. HAWK HPS and AUDI pads are about the same price. I see Bosch Quiet-Cast & TRW for about 1/2 price. Unless someone chimes in about positive experience with either of those I'll probably go with stock.

i hear you i thought stock is always better and i put on brand new brakes and and rotors all four of them at 79k and the pads needs replacing at 108k which is odd... So i decided to go with akebono and next time ill go with hawk i hear they are both pretty good. Any how where are you located i would like to get my car looked at by someone who knows their audis i am stuck in Pittsburgh PA yeah stuck...
any how this is what i bought Akebono EUR1111 Front Ceramic Brake Pads | eBay

i got the Akebono EUR1111 Front Ceramic Brake Pads guys hopefully they'll last longer than the stock pads that lasted only 29k with brand new rotors..

Last edited by saifxnyc; 06-18-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Being the odd guy out with the R1 stuff, I figured I'd chime in.

The premium rotors with slots and Posi Quiet ceramic pads. Stock brakes were dusting badly enough that I wished I never had to touch them. One touch and it was time to clean again. Anyhow.. on the new brakes about 400 miles so far and they are fantastic. The stopping power of stock plus. No effort to use them, no fade at high speeds, no noise at all on a dry install.

Like you, I do not treat them nicely. On a Buick Regal I used a similar setup and got 60K from them with the rotors appearing to be new (no ridges no issues). Hopefully I get at least 60K from this set.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BillBoost37
Being the odd guy out with the R1 stuff, I figured I'd chime in.

The premium rotors with slots and Posi Quiet ceramic pads. Stock brakes were dusting badly enough that I wished I never had to touch them. One touch and it was time to clean again. Anyhow.. on the new brakes about 400 miles so far and they are fantastic. The stopping power of stock plus. No effort to use them, no fade at high speeds, no noise at all on a dry install.

Like you, I do not treat them nicely. On a Buick Regal I used a similar setup and got 60K from them with the rotors appearing to be new (no ridges no issues). Hopefully I get at least 60K from this set.
hey i went ahead installed the akebonos today believe it or not they are great they are very smooth with effective braking power. By smooth i mean they don't jerk the car to a stop when you press the pedal i like them i am using oem rotors i will try hawk hps next i haven't heard much about Posi but i know they are very reasonable in pricing. I had one question what do you mean by no fade at high speeds i googled it says brake becomes weaker or ineffective at higher temps..
Old 06-25-2015, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Say you are doing 80-130mph and you have to use the brakes to slow down fast. When you press that pedal the friction and heat created is much greater than when you try to stop from 20-50mph.

That excess heat can change how the pads grab and how much they slow you. When you nail the brakes hard at 80-130mph likely..you need to stop and you don't have extra room to play around with brakes not stopping the car. That is what happens with some pads. I'm not that guy. I'd rather the pad grip consistently at all speeds.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
hey i went ahead installed the akebonos today believe it or not they are great they are very smooth with effective braking power. By smooth i mean they don't jerk the car to a stop when you press the pedal i like them i am using oem rotors i will try hawk hps next i haven't heard much about Posi but i know they are very reasonable in pricing. I had one question what do you mean by no fade at high speeds i googled it says brake becomes weaker or ineffective at higher temps..
Glad you like them. It's why so many of us on the forum also recommended them to others.

As for no fade, in your normal driving conditions you do most of your braking at lower speed (i.e. under 60 mph). High speeds (greater than 80mph) would be for those of us who have ever raced or tracked vehicles and where brake fade becomes a liability. Consistency of braking is key and everything needs to be precise, when you head into a turn and need to break from 130mph to 50mph, you need to be certain that your pads and rotors will have the same feel and stopping prowess as the first time. This is precisely why race vehicles run slotted rotors, to shave the pads and ensure predictable and consistent response. Also the very same reason why slotted rotors will eat your pads.

Quick Reply: Best brake pads for front replacement 07 A6