A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Best brake pads for front replacement 07 A6

Old 06-25-2015, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
Glad you like them. It's why so many of us on the forum also recommended them to others.

As for no fade, in your normal driving conditions you do most of your braking at lower speed (i.e. under 60 mph). High speeds (greater than 80mph) would be for those of us who have ever raced or tracked vehicles and where brake fade becomes a liability. Consistency of braking is key and everything needs to be precise, when you head into a turn and need to break from 130mph to 50mph, you need to be certain that your pads and rotors will have the same feel and stopping prowess as the first time. This is precisely why race vehicles run slotted rotors, to shave the pads and ensure predictable and consistent response. Also the very same reason why slotted rotors will eat your pads.
Do you recommend drilled slotted rotors because i drive 90 on average on highway and 130 at times on straight shots easily sometimes. But yes i do 90-110 average where it says 55 i respect the road and i don't drive dangerously its only when the opportunity presents it self and i am from NYC living in hilly Pittsburgh area these guys don't drive like us so it is easy to find my way through them you know plus i always use my turn signal not that it matters i fly past them but i obey the rules minus the speed part only because my car can handle it and i keep it maintained. I love the car ill post a pic!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
Do you recommend drilled slotted rotors because i drive 90 on average on highway and 130 at times on straight shots easily sometimes. But yes i do 90-110 average where it says 55 i respect the road and i don't drive dangerously its only when the opportunity presents it self and i am from NYC living in hilly Pittsburgh area these guys don't drive like us so it is easy to find my way through them you know plus i always use my turn signal not that it matters i fly past them but i obey the rules minus the speed part only because my car can handle it and i keep it maintained. I love the car ill post a pic!
Let me very straight-forward, you drive at high-speeds on public roads, in no ways is that related to racing or tracking your vehicle. When you race you need to determine apex points, braking distance beforehand, exit point, etc...When you race you brake HARD before the corner and that's where the need for slotted rotors can come into effect. However, driving at 110mph on a public road is NOT to be confused with racing since I doubt very much you need to continually brake excessively hard from say 130mph to 40mph then full accelerate towards the next corner. Most people who drive on the street buy slotted and drilled rotors primarily for show, since the actual value of them is lost. Furthermore, they can be more of a PITA for normal driving since a variety of issues can occur: drilled - can warp, due to lack of structural rigidity and slotted - excessive wear on your pads. Brake fade is primarily an outcome of your pads.

When you race, braking is as critical as acceleration and top speed. Hence my statement, that driving 110 mph should not be considered anything like racing. Since in no way do you tax your brakes in the same way you would on a track. Anecdotally, I used to race street bikes at the amateur level and a few times we'd get a pro who would drop in on a race. My bike had a decent amount of 'goodies' on it, but this pro took a stock street bike and spanked the entire field with it. He was running stock OEM pads and rotors and they held up well enough to out-do any of the amateurs on both back-to-back races.

I see loads of folks with slotted and/or dimpled/cross-drilled rotors on their street vehicles, but in over 99% of them it's not needed and a good set of solid rotors will last longer and do a better job...just my opinion.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks raj I don't drive like that with traffic mostly its late and there is no one but a few on road I don't endanger anyone. Trust me and no I don't race anyone I just drive like Audis are meant to be driven like. But thanks I won't buy drill slotted rotors I'll get Zimmerman like everyone says or Brembo when the time comes. Thanks a bunch and I promise you I am not doing that when it's a hazard. I understand it sounds bad but I'm safer than the people here who can't even use their turn signal.

Originally Posted by raj99
Let me very straight-forward, you drive at high-speeds on public roads, in no ways is that related to racing or tracking your vehicle. When you race you need to determine apex points, braking distance beforehand, exit point, etc...When you race you brake HARD before the corner and that's where the need for slotted rotors can come into effect. However, driving at 110mph on a public road is NOT to be confused with racing since I doubt very much you need to continually brake excessively hard from say 130mph to 40mph then full accelerate towards the next corner. Most people who drive on the street buy slotted and drilled rotors primarily for show, since the actual value of them is lost. Furthermore, they can be more of a PITA for normal driving since a variety of issues can occur: drilled - can warp, due to lack of structural rigidity and slotted - excessive wear on your pads. Brake fade is primarily an outcome of your pads.

When you race, braking is as critical as acceleration and top speed. Hence my statement, that driving 110 mph should not be considered anything like racing. Since in no way do you tax your brakes in the same way you would on a track. Anecdotally, I used to race street bikes at the amateur level and a few times we'd get a pro who would drop in on a race. My bike had a decent amount of 'goodies' on it, but this pro took a stock street bike and spanked the entire field with it. He was running stock OEM pads and rotors and they held up well enough to out-do any of the amateurs on both back-to-back races.

I see loads of folks with slotted and/or dimpled/cross-drilled rotors on their street vehicles, but in over 99% of them it's not needed and a good set of solid rotors will last longer and do a better job...just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
Thanks raj I don't drive like that with traffic mostly its late and there is no one but a few on road I don't endanger anyone. Trust me and no I don't race anyone I just drive like Audis are meant to be driven like. But thanks I won't buy drill slotted rotors I'll get Zimmerman like everyone says or Brembo when the time comes. Thanks a bunch and I promise you I am not doing that when it's a hazard. I understand it sounds bad but I'm safer than the people here who can't even use their turn signal.
saif, when I refer to racing, I'm talking about doing it on a track...only organ donors race on the street. As for your driving at high-speed, that's not my concern, as long as the only one you jeopardize is yourself.