A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Brake Pads - Northern NJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99

My recent order of Brembos were actually manufactured in Italy.
NOS you lucky dog. Even EBC, once all UK, now sources world round.

And now I am told some of the best rotors are coming out of Mexico from Sanluis Rassini, http://www.sanluisrassini.com. Mercedes, VAG, BMW, ZF, LUK, TRW, Sachs, use them. Even the high tech two piece rotor on the C7 corvette. The world is a changing.

Did you find an AR yet?
Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
Did you find an AR yet?
No AR yet. Perhaps trip to Denver is in order since I've heard that is the proverbial elephant graveyard of ARs. Lol.

I'm somewhat picky and people in the NW price then far too high imho. I just need a spare car to rough it in; snowboarding, camping, etc. I don't mind doing my own maintenance on it, but either I see sh$t boxes or gold have just dumped $10k maintenance and want $12k for a 13 year old car with 150k miles, and I'll pass on both of those. If you see something come along drop me a line cheers
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luluza
I have a 2008 A6 3.2 Quattro. The dealer quoted me $1,200 to replace front & rear brake pads. Does anyone know a reputable place where I can get the brake pads replaced for much less in Bergen county, New Jersey?

I second Dion, Drive Auto Works. Though they moved to Clifton, NJ. 138 Getty Street.

I did my brakes last October. They were pretty good on the price. I've done a lot of work with them. I have a pretty decent warranty and Drive has done a lot of warranty fixes so the car is practically new and running great. I wish I knew of them earlier because I'd done some work at the dealer (jack daniels and millburn) and pretty much got gutted, even with the warranty.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No AR yet. Perhaps trip to Denver is in order since I've heard that is the proverbial elephant graveyard of ARs. Lol.
If you see something come along drop me a line cheers
There are 15 or more ARs on Denver CL at any time. Denver and Minneapolis are the top two locations in the US, I am told (snow). If you drive on a Denver street, you will see a few ARs every day. All in great shape. They are a cult car here.

I am told and believe the 03-05s were the least trouble. Stay away from 01. I have an 03, bought new. If you look carefully at CL for Denver, you see ARs from people that bought them new 10 years ago, kept them up (lots of good indies here) and now at 10 years - 120k, they are selling. I even see some low mileage 05s (80k). I am sure you know that its the one or two owner private party ones that are generally the best and cheapest. Lots of fly by night cheapie car dealers here that buy ARs with unknown history off auction. Meh.. And even the local dealers now keep a few C5 allroads on the lot, usually cherry trade ins.

As I said, several very good indies that really know ARs that can do inspections if you find one.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Worldwidebeagle
There are 15 or more ARs on Denver CL at any time. Denver and Minneapolis are the top two locations in the US, I am told (snow). If you drive on a Denver street, you will see a few ARs every day. All in great shape. They are a cult car here.

I am told and believe the 03-05s were the least trouble. Stay away from 01. I have an 03, bought new. If you look carefully at CL for Denver, you see ARs from people that bought them new 10 years ago, kept them up (lots of good indies here) and now at 10 years - 120k, they are selling. I even see some low mileage 05s (80k). I am sure you know that its the one or two owner private party ones that are generally the best and cheapest. Lots of fly by night cheapie car dealers here that buy ARs with unknown history off auction. Meh.. And even the local dealers now keep a few C5 allroads on the lot, usually cherry trade ins.

As I said, several very good indies that really know ARs that can do inspections if you find one.
Well I did pull up a CL search and there are about 2-3x what we have for sale here. But I would prefer a local car, just for the sheer ease of the entire transaction. Furthermore, I don't have to deal with excessive sinter/snow driving...heck our winter's consist of rain and MORE rain At 10+ year old car driving on salted roads does not bode well.

I'm in no rush and appreciate the advice...if I do get over to Denver, then it would be a great excuse to pick one up and have a good road-trip all at the same time.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

At 10+ year old car driving on salted roads does not bode well.

I.
Very true. I am at 9 years in the northeast and the lower front door inserts are doing the "bends" indicating that I have the somewhat common rust issue. Thankfully there is a 12 year rust warranty. The next time I bring it in I will have the dealer repair it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought the Hawk Performance brake pads and the ECB Rotors. Total cost about $500. Meineke quoted $180 for labour. Took them to Meineke last week, the mechanic was able to do the front wheels but indicated he was unable to do the rear as the pads I bought cannot fit in. The brake pads I bought for rear are Hawk Performance HB544F.628 Can someone please confirm these are correct pads for rear? Is the mechanic missing something? Thank you all for your help.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought the Hawk Performance brake pads and the ECB Rotors. Total cost about $500. Meineke quoted $180 for labour. Took them to Meineke last week, the mechanic was able to do the front wheels but indicated he was unable to do the rear as the pads I bought cannot fit in. The brake pads I bought for rear are Hawk Performance HB544F.628 Can someone please confirm these are correct pads for rear? Is the mechanic missing something? Thank you all for your help.
What model C6 is yours again?

Also, the rear pads need a vag-com to release and I doubt Meineke has a ross-tech VCDS (vag-com) to do this. I've also done it via a c-clamp for a friend's car, but it is far easier with the right equipment. Front brakes are easy...rear brakes require vag-com...simply put.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What model C6 is yours again?

Also, the rear pads need a vag-com to release and I doubt Meineke has a ross-tech VCDS (vag-com) to do this. I've also done it via a c-clamp for a friend's car, but it is far easier with the right equipment. Front brakes are easy...rear brakes require vag-com...simply put.
Audi A6 2008 model 3.2L
Old 03-18-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi A6 2008 model 3.2L
It appears you bought the correct model:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...pads/hb544f628

Go to a place that actually does installs on Audi vehicles and they will be able to 100% confirm. Since my guess is that the Meineke you went to has no idea on how to install the rotors and pads on the rear, since they don't have the vag-com to release it.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - Northern NJ