A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

C6 A6 Suspension removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've dealt with the pinch bolt on several Passats and it's basically the same thing. The best way I've found to get the pinch bolt out if it's seized is to use a Dremel tool and cut through the shaft at the slot closest to the bolt head. You won't be able to cut completely through the bolt, but it should be far enough that you can break the bolt head off with a socket wrench. Remove the nut on the end and place a spacer on the end of the bolt. Replace the nut and tighten it so it jacks the bolt out of the strut. You'll have to add more spacers as you get to the end of the threaded portion of the bolt. One or two lug nuts work well for this.

If you can't get it out using this method you may end up having to drill it out, which is no fun. I've heard that Zep45 penetrating lubricant is about the best stuff you can find for loosening rusted connectors so that would be worth a shot before breaking out the drill.

One note - when you do eventually get the pinch bolt out, replace it with a new one and liberally apply anti-seize compound on the shaft of the bolt. It's not a bad idea to pull this bolt out once every year or two and reapply anti-seize compound to make sure it won't seize up again. I've been doing this for years on my Passat and will do it on my wife's A6. I haven't had to deal with a seized pinch bolt for about ten years after using this method.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by captain_video
One note - when you do eventually get the pinch bolt out, replace it with a new one and liberally apply anti-seize compound on the shaft of the bolt. It's not a bad idea to pull this bolt out once every year or two and reapply anti-seize compound to make sure it won't seize up again.
Good advice.

Since I live in the rust belt, I use Marine Grade Anti Seize for jobs like this. Mostly on rotors and wheel hubs. Since I'm anticipating the purchase of a C7, it looks like I should back those bolts out when I'm under the car.