A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

C6 coding through a mobile app (now for iOS too!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 02:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Simple readers are, well, just readers. Basically, they can scan for fault codes but cannot make changes to the coding. The Carista app Pro version provides for code changes as described in the first post of the thread.
I completely understand. But this is the C6 forum. Ive searched. I've seen his history. Posts in a few other forums... Except no C5 post. So that's why I'm asking. So, do you know the answer or just flexing your noob crushing, "I don't think he read the first post," muscles?

Maybe I should be more specific... On a 2000 a6 Quattro, will it give you VAG specific codes? Will it provide any realtime readings? Are there changes to be made in programming? If so, what can you edit?
Old 07-04-2015, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by zonict1
I completely understand. But this is the C6 forum. Ive searched. I've seen his history. Posts in a few other forums... Except no C5 post. So that's why I'm asking. So, do you know the answer or just flexing your noob crushing, "I don't think he read the first post," muscles?

Maybe I should be more specific... On a 2000 a6 Quattro, will it give you VAG specific codes? Will it provide any realtime readings? Are there changes to be made in programming? If so, what can you edit?
I'm aware this is the C6 forum - as a moderator I visit all of the forums. Perhaps I missed the intent of your question. I thought you were simply asking if the Carista app was more than a reader and responded accordingly. Sorry to have irritated you.

I do know that the app is a fairly simple mod changer, diagnostic scanner, fault code reader and is limited to a specific list of changes that can be done as exampled in his post (depending on model). It doesn't provide code level access or the ability to program beyond their growing list of mods. In any case, the convenient, inexpensive Carista app is not meant to be a replacement, nor is it able to offer the wide range of capabilities of the Ross-Tech VCDS Vag-Com cable and software which can do all of the things you mentioned (and I'm sure you're familiar with). I have the VCDS and it works fine on my 2002 C5 allroad and former 2001 C5 A6.

One thing to keep in mind as you participate in the forums, it's often difficult to assess one's level of knowledge and expertise and answers to some questions can sometimes be over simplified. Please don't take it personally if that should happen.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to see this application. I think competition is always good. I have thought about buying the Ross Tech but the price is too high for what I would use it for. Plus running this on Bluetooth via my phone is a lot more convenient then dragging out the laptop.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Greencat
Glad to see this application. I think competition is always good. I have thought about buying the Ross Tech but the price is too high for what I would use it for. Plus running this on Bluetooth via my phone is a lot more convenient then dragging out the laptop.
Definitely, if all you need is to change a few things on their list and run diagnostics. The Carista doesn't really compete with VCDS which is a more encompassing, comprehensive tool. Both products each serve their purpose and market - there is room for both. In fact I'm thinking about adding the Carista to my VCDS for mostly for the convenience in running a scan without the need to hook up my laptop as you mentioned,

Last edited by snagitseven; 07-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you retract the rear brake calipers using this App on a C6 parking brake to change the brake pads? I am assuming yes but the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked
Old 07-05-2015, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by saifxnyc
Can you retract the rear brake calipers using this App on a C6 parking brake to change the brake pads? I am assuming yes but the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked
FWIW, you don't need a vagcom to retract the rear brakes: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post23784765

...but I've got one and it's wonderful
Old 09-29-2015, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I love this app. I have been hooking up friends to make the changes. Single best change is windows up and down with remote.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

It doesn't do it yet, but I read somewhere that they are testing it.

It's a quick and simple way to do many things with Audi. Sure, it won't do most of what a VCDS does, but it's a lot cheaper.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but only in our beta version. We're still testing that feature. Email us at support@caristaapp.com for more info and to get on the test program for free.

In other news, we're now doing a group buy for a 15% discount for the official Carista OBD adapter: get it for $34 USD. The offer is available only in the US & Canada and only for a period of 10 days; shipping is free to both countries.

Use this link to purchase: AudiWorld Carista OBD Adapter Group Buy | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

More info on the adapter here: Hardware | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Quick Reply: C6 coding through a mobile app (now for iOS too!)