A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Can an auto gearbox oil be changed C6.5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FL C6.5 Avant
Audi is giving you a marketing answer.
yes, it's lifetime to them, considering that many owners do not keep their cars long enough for them to ever worry about it
This. I always wondered what "lifetime" meant in the auto world. Then my brother-in-law, whose a mechanic, explained exactly what you just said FL.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update of the gearbox oil.

So far I've waited 2 week to book my car in with Audi to get the gearbox oil changed. And the day before it was going to go in. I got a phone call from one of the service manager. Telling me the gearbox oil didn't need changed, As it's designed for the lifetime of the vehicle. He said his colleague who quoted me 350 was for a multitonic gearbox oil change.

But as mine is a triptronic it wouldn't need changed at all. I then told him the previous owner told me the gearbox oil was changed 3000 miles ago. and then he told me. If I was to go ahead, and change the oil with them, It'll be £740 including labour 😲😲

Now i don't really know what to do...
Old 08-13-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by vdub11

So far I've waited 2 week to book my car in with Audi to get the gearbox oil changed. And the day before it was going to go in. I got a phone call from one of the service manager. Telling me the gearbox oil didn't need changed, As it's designed for the lifetime of the vehicle. He said his colleague who quoted me 350 was for a multitonic gearbox oil change.

But as mine is a triptronic it wouldn't need changed at all. I then told him the previous owner told me the gearbox oil was changed 3000 miles ago. and then he told me. If I was to go ahead, and change the oil with them, It'll be £740 including labour 😲😲

focus on more important things in life. the mechanics knew what they did when they changed the oil. so you have new oil and a great car.
Let's say there is 10% of a chance that tranny will fail because of the oil. If you rebuild tranny at that point for let say GBP4000, it still gives you math expecation of GBP400 compared with GBP 740 if you decide to change the fluid today. Besides: they will not flush out all fluid but sort of replace a half of it.

BTW, on my old A6 I had hit the transmission pan on a curb. It cracked the pan and I drove two miles while losing oil to a nearest auto shop. It was very cheap shop in a chinatown. They did something to the pan and replaced fluid. I doubt they had audi fluid or new gasket or to that meter they had ANY audi in the shop before. Guess what. the transmission worked quite all right for the next two years. never had any issues.

I guess there is a moral in that story.

Last edited by beep-beep; 08-13-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vdub11

Just dont worry about it. Audi fluid is nothing special. There are replacements for the fluid that work just as well. If the fluid was just changed it was just changed. Do it again in 30-40k miles and enjoy the car.