Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 152915
 
anpk05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 59
Default Connect rearview camera to reverse light?

I bought a after market rearview camera, can't seem to locate the wire for reverse light to connect the camera wire. Please someone help???????
__________________
c6 4.2l
anpk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 158151
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 5
Default

I also installed an aftermarket rearview camera in my car, and I connected the reverse wire to the green/black stripped wire that connects to the rear tail light. I hope this helps. Thanks!!
danlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 108260
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Posts: 613
Default

any pictures? pros and cons of the unit you chose? cost?
__________________
2011 White A6 3.OT
2005 Artic White A6 3.2
05whtaudia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 162662
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6 View Post
any pictures? pros and cons of the unit you chose? cost?
Would like to see those pics to. I am still looking for a affordable system that has it LCD mounted somewhere that not in public view. So people will not smash my window to steal it thinking it is a GPS when I go into the city.
triplecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 158151
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 5
Default

I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

I will post some picture later tonight when I get home. Thanks!!
danlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 162662
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlui View Post
I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

I will post some picture later tonight when I get home. Thanks!!
wow that awesome. congrats. How much was parts? and labor? do you have links?

Thanks
triplecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 158151
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: CO
Posts: 5
Default

You can search on eBay for "Audi MMI" and make sure you select "worldwide" search option. You will see many different ones at different prices. The one that I got is about GBP 120 which is about $200 USD. As for labor, I did it myself and it took me about 3 hours total to install everything. They come with pretty good instructions. Send me a PM and I can email you the soft copy of the instructions that I got.

On side note, if you don't have navigation, the newer units take RGB input from standalone gps navigation unit such as those from Garmin or Panasonic. The instructions does say that you can control the navigation unit via the MMI controls, but I'm not sure how that works. I have navigation in my car already.

Good luck!!
danlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 161252
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NorCal, USA
Posts: 1,377
Default

Great info - look forward to the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlui View Post
I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

I will post some picture later tonight when I get home. Thanks!!
__________________
2006 A6 3.2 Quattro, Midnight blue/beige, Nav (retrofit), Koni FSD + Eibach springs,V1 hardwired (fusebox) - CD on dash, LED DRL, K-MACS, RS Style grill.
You can't call me a badge-ho - I'm de-BADGED!
Past:
2008 BMW 335i convertible (e93); 2007 BMW 335i coupe (e92); 2006 BMW 325i sedan (e90)

Banned from QuattroWorld
am_ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 152915
 
anpk05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 59
Default

Nice, for $200, what a good product. Don't mind mine, after i installed the $89 rearview camera i didn't like the way it looked took it off. Can't wait for pics ...
__________________
c6 4.2l
anpk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 172729
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leamington Spa. UK
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlui View Post
You can search on eBay for "Audi MMI" and make sure you select "worldwide" search option. You will see many different ones at different prices. The one that I got is about GBP 120 which is about $200 USD. As for labor, I did it myself and it took me about 3 hours total to install everything. They come with pretty good instructions. Send me a PM and I can email you the soft copy of the instructions that I got.

On side note, if you don't have navigation, the newer units take RGB input from standalone gps navigation unit such as those from Garmin or Panasonic. The instructions does say that you can control the navigation unit via the MMI controls, but I'm not sure how that works. I have navigation in my car already.

Good luck!!

Hi danlui,

This is just what i am about to attempt. I bought a camera from China for 25, its similar to the Audi model and fits in the number plate housing. I now need to source a control module so that it interfaces with the MMI controls and the one you have sounds perfect. Would you mind posting a link to the sellar who provided yours please. Cheers zsharmask
zsharmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2003, aftermarket, audi, cam, camera, cherokee, grand, green, installation, jeep, light, market, q5, rear, rearview, view, wire


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community