Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Connect rearview camera to reverse light?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 152915

Default Connect rearview camera to reverse light?

I bought a after market rearview camera, can't seem to locate the wire for reverse light to connect the camera wire. Please someone help???????
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 158151

I also installed an aftermarket rearview camera in my car, and I connected the reverse wire to the green/black stripped wire that connects to the rear tail light. I hope this helps. Thanks!!
danlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 108260

any pictures? pros and cons of the unit you chose? cost?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 162662

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05whtaudia6 View Post
any pictures? pros and cons of the unit you chose? cost?
Would like to see those pics to. I am still looking for a affordable system that has it LCD mounted somewhere that not in public view. So people will not smash my window to steal it thinking it is a GPS when I go into the city.
triplecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

I will post some picture later tonight when I get home. Thanks!!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlui View Post
I bought a MMI video adapter on eBay from Europe, and it integrates with the MMI screen. So there is no external monitor to use. The MMI video adapter accepts a composite input so I bought a Pioneer BD2 rearview camera. It works really well.

There is a new MMI video adapter that does the same thing, but it adds the feature that is found in the factory Audi APS rearview camera. When backing up, the adapter will overlay with lines to help guide you in backing up.

Overall, my setup worked pretty well. With it, I can also hook up my iPhone or video iPod, and display the video on the MMI screen. You can change the video input source (it accepts 3 video inputs) by pressing the NAME button.

The installation is very easy and straight forward. The only problem is that the connector sometimes gets lose and so the screen flickers. I will be securing it with zip tie and hopefully it will fix the problem.

wow that awesome. congrats. How much was parts? and labor? do you have links?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
AudiWorld Newcomer

You can search on eBay for "Audi MMI" and make sure you select "worldwide" search option. You will see many different ones at different prices. The one that I got is about GBP 120 which is about $200 USD. As for labor, I did it myself and it took me about 3 hours total to install everything. They come with pretty good instructions. Send me a PM and I can email you the soft copy of the instructions that I got.

On side note, if you don't have navigation, the newer units take RGB input from standalone gps navigation unit such as those from Garmin or Panasonic. The instructions does say that you can control the navigation unit via the MMI controls, but I'm not sure how that works. I have navigation in my car already.

Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 161252

Great info - look forward to the pictures.

Quote:

2008 BMW 335i convertible (e93); 2007 BMW 335i coupe (e92); 2006 BMW 325i sedan (e90)

Banned from QuattroWorld
am_ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 152915

Nice, for $200, what a good product. Don't mind mine, after i installed the $89 rearview camera i didn't like the way it looked took it off. Can't wait for pics ...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 172729

Quote:
You can search on eBay for "Audi MMI" and make sure you select "worldwide" search option. You will see many different ones at different prices. The one that I got is about GBP 120 which is about $200 USD. As for labor, I did it myself and it took me about 3 hours total to install everything. They come with pretty good instructions. Send me a PM and I can email you the soft copy of the instructions that I got.

On side note, if you don't have navigation, the newer units take RGB input from standalone gps navigation unit such as those from Garmin or Panasonic. The instructions does say that you can control the navigation unit via the MMI controls, but I'm not sure how that works. I have navigation in my car already.

Good luck!!

Hi danlui,

This is just what i am about to attempt. I bought a camera from China for 25, its similar to the Audi model and fits in the number plate housing. I now need to source a control module so that it interfaces with the MMI controls and the one you have sounds perfect. Would you mind posting a link to the sellar who provided yours please. Cheers zsharmask
zsharmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to post the pictures yet. I plan to do it this weekend when I have some more time.

Here is the eBay item that I bought for my car. http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDI-MMI-Video-M...item3ca8a2b9aa

Thanks!!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi and thanks for your post.
This is one that i was considering and as your review confirms the feedback i was looking for, i will go for the same but will wait for your pics. Cheers - zsharmask
Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #13
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is a picture of the rear view camera with the lines. You can adjust the lines horizontal and vertical position on the screen to adjust to your camera placement.

I was also able to play a movie on the MMI screen with the audio coming through my AMI. The movie quality is really good and it is pretty smooth. I played it from my iPhone using Apple's composite cable. I don't have a picture of that playing, but I will work on getting it posted here.

I bought the MMI video adapter from eBay, but here is the seller's website. http://www.xcarlink.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0035.jpg (24.8 KB, 245 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Danlui,
I have just bought the same interface that you purchased. I hope you dont mind but can i ask further questions please.

The power block cable, what is the blue cable marked pdc rear +12 for and where did you connect it to.

The AV block of cables, the white wire marked rear cam +12V, did you connect this to the +12 Green/black wire you mention earlier in this thread in the trunk or elsewhere?

I will ask the seller but suspect they will not have the answers. Sorry for all the questions.
(Hi anpk05 sorry for jumping over your thread)
Cheers zsharmask
Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #15
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Here is a picture of the rear view camera with the lines. You can adjust the lines horizontal and vertical position on the screen to adjust to your camera placement.

I was also able to play a movie on the MMI screen with the audio coming through my AMI. The movie quality is really good and it is pretty smooth. I played it from my iPhone using Apple's composite cable. I don't have a picture of that playing, but I will work on getting it posted here.

I bought the MMI video adapter from eBay, but here is the seller's website. http://www.xcarlink.co.uk
When you put it in reverse does it go to the camera on it own?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 AM   #16
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, i installed my AV interface today, took a couple of hours as i took my time and the weather is poor here today. I connected the rear view camera, temporarily direct to the unit, so that i could test that all worked ok before i re-installed the glove box. I also ran a 20 RCA cable to the trunk under the plastic sill, ready to connect the camera.
The problem that i have yet to resolve is where to connect the white 12V+ cable, do i have to run that to the trunk and connect it somewhere near the light cluster or can i connect it under the dash, anyone know as there is no picture unless this line has power. I also tested in into AV2 and that worked fine.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsharmask View Post
Ok, i installed my AV interface today, took a couple of hours as i took my time and the weather is poor here today. I connected the rear view camera, temporarily direct to the unit, so that i could test that all worked ok before i re-installed the glove box. I also ran a 20 RCA cable to the trunk under the plastic sill, ready to connect the camera.
The problem that i have yet to resolve is where to connect the white 12V+ cable, do i have to run that to the trunk and connect it somewhere near the light cluster or can i connect it under the dash, anyone know as there is no picture unless this line has power. I also tested in into AV2 and that worked fine.
oh, what i forgot to mention is that the 'white 12V+' cable needs to connect to the reverse light.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #18
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 167119

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsharmask View Post
oh, what i forgot to mention is that the 'white 12V+' cable needs to connect to the reverse light.
I'm hoping to get this topic going again.

zsarmask, were you able to find a solution to this? I'm trying to do the same thing with my car. Thank you!
jcboiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 61911

Default did you order it? anyone have any reviews on how this unit works

would like to enable video playback in my car via an ipod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboiz View Post
I'm hoping to get this topic going again.

zsarmask, were you able to find a solution to this? I'm trying to do the same thing with my car. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 185129

Did anybody figure out in the end where to connect this 12v reverse wire?

My only thought is to cut into the reverse light wire itself, on the light cluster. Must be a better way surely.
mrharrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, aftermarket, audi, cam, camera, cherokee, grand, green, installation, jeep, light, market, q5, rear, rearview, view, wire