A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Connect rearview camera to reverse light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Sorry that I haven't had a chance to post the pictures yet. I plan to do it this weekend when I have some more time.

Here is the eBay item that I bought for my car. http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDI-MMI-Video-M...item3ca8a2b9aa

Thanks!!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi and thanks for your post.
This is one that i was considering and as your review confirms the feedback i was looking for, i will go for the same but will wait for your pics. Cheers - zsharmask
Old 01-25-2010, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is a picture of the rear view camera with the lines. You can adjust the lines horizontal and vertical position on the screen to adjust to your camera placement.

I was also able to play a movie on the MMI screen with the audio coming through my AMI. The movie quality is really good and it is pretty smooth. I played it from my iPhone using Apple's composite cable. I don't have a picture of that playing, but I will work on getting it posted here.

I bought the MMI video adapter from eBay, but here is the seller's website. http://www.xcarlink.co.uk
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2010, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Danlui,
I have just bought the same interface that you purchased. I hope you dont mind but can i ask further questions please.

The power block cable, what is the blue cable marked pdc rear +12 for and where did you connect it to.

The AV block of cables, the white wire marked rear cam +12V, did you connect this to the +12 Green/black wire you mention earlier in this thread in the trunk or elsewhere?

I will ask the seller but suspect they will not have the answers. Sorry for all the questions.
(Hi anpk05 – sorry for jumping over your thread)
Cheers zsharmask
Old 02-12-2010, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by danlui
Here is a picture of the rear view camera with the lines. You can adjust the lines horizontal and vertical position on the screen to adjust to your camera placement.

I was also able to play a movie on the MMI screen with the audio coming through my AMI. The movie quality is really good and it is pretty smooth. I played it from my iPhone using Apple's composite cable. I don't have a picture of that playing, but I will work on getting it posted here.

I bought the MMI video adapter from eBay, but here is the seller's website. http://www.xcarlink.co.uk
When you put it in reverse does it go to the camera on it own?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok, i installed my AV interface today, took a couple of hours as i took my time and the weather is poor here today. I connected the rear view camera, temporarily direct to the unit, so that i could test that all worked ok before i re-installed the glove box. I also ran a 20’ RCA cable to the trunk under the plastic sill, ready to connect the camera.
The problem that i have yet to resolve is where to connect the white 12V+ cable, do i have to run that to the trunk and connect it somewhere near the light cluster or can i connect it under the dash, anyone know as there is no picture unless this line has power. I also tested in into AV2 and that worked fine.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zsharmask
Ok, i installed my AV interface today, took a couple of hours as i took my time and the weather is poor here today. I connected the rear view camera, temporarily direct to the unit, so that i could test that all worked ok before i re-installed the glove box. I also ran a 20’ RCA cable to the trunk under the plastic sill, ready to connect the camera.
The problem that i have yet to resolve is where to connect the white 12V+ cable, do i have to run that to the trunk and connect it somewhere near the light cluster or can i connect it under the dash, anyone know as there is no picture unless this line has power. I also tested in into AV2 and that worked fine.
oh, what i forgot to mention is that the 'white 12V+' cable needs to connect to the reverse light.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zsharmask
oh, what i forgot to mention is that the 'white 12V+' cable needs to connect to the reverse light.
I'm hoping to get this topic going again.

zsarmask, were you able to find a solution to this? I'm trying to do the same thing with my car. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did you order it? anyone have any reviews on how this unit works

would like to enable video playback in my car via an ipod.

Originally Posted by jcboiz
I'm hoping to get this topic going again.

zsarmask, were you able to find a solution to this? I'm trying to do the same thing with my car. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did anybody figure out in the end where to connect this 12v reverse wire?

My only thought is to cut into the reverse light wire itself, on the light cluster. Must be a better way surely.

Quick Reply: Connect rearview camera to reverse light?