A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Controlling the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controlling the steering wheel

Hi all,

I became a first time Audi user (A6 C6 Avant 2009 2.0 TDI), and I have a question about the functionality of steering wheel, that I find a bit strange.

Let me give an example. I am driving a car, and need to turn right on the crossroad. After I have turned right, in order for my wheel to return into the normal (straight) position, I need to return it manually. What I was used to (non Audi cars) is that if you release the wheel after you have made a turn, it will automatically return to straight (normal) position.

So, is it normal for this type of car to be required to return the wheel manually to straight position, after you make a turn?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Completely normal.
The C6 has electronic steering compared to hydraulic that you're used to.
Hydraulic typically snaps to center after you've turned and in turn you get heavier steering. Electronic doesn't really snap but in turn you get adjustable steering feel.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

One of the first things I noticed as well.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Prestige Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enoch861
Completely normal.
The C6 has electronic steering compared to hydraulic that you're used to.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression the C6 has hydraulic power steering. That being said, my steering wheel does the same thing.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

The C6 does have hydraulic steering, not electric.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

The force which returns the wheel to center is determined by the steering geometry. See this link

Suspension and Steering, Page 3 of 4

The type amount of assist can mute the amount of feedback you feel. More assist = less feedback. Remember that when you are going slow in an A6 the steering boost increases to make parking easier, this significantly reduces the self centering feeling but means you can park the car with one finger. Some people do not like this feeling and have been known to unplug the "servotronic" system so that the extra boost does not kick in making your Audi feel more like a Honda. I am not sure this trick will work on newer cars since the computer can detect just about anything and will report a fault, probably in a very annoying manner.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
The force which returns the wheel to center is determined by the steering geometry. See this link

The type amount of assist can mute the amount of feedback you feel. More assist = less feedback. Remember that when you are going slow in an A6 the steering boost increases to make parking easier, this significantly reduces the self centering feeling but means you can park the car with one finger. Some people do not like this feeling and have been known to unplug the "servotronic" system so that the extra boost does not kick in making your Audi feel more like a Honda. I am not sure this trick will work on newer cars since the computer can detect just about anything and will report a fault, probably in a very annoying manner.
Thanks for this, very interesting reading.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The C6 does have hydraulic steering, not electric.
Originally Posted by mikerouze
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression the C6 has hydraulic power steering. That being said, my steering wheel does the same thing.
I meant electronically boosted or maybe I should have said electromechanical. Not sure why I said fully electric haha.
Irregardless, for more reading about how it works just google Servotronic.
I don't think the C6 has active return to center. And if it does, it's really weak. I believe on newer Audi and VW models, they do have active return to center which works normally and snaps the steering wheel back. But I've learned to live with it.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6

So how does one unplug the servotronic system?

Quick Reply: Controlling the steering wheel