A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

DIY: Streaming Bluetooth Music via MMI

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished installing the unit. Very easy to do. I did not end up using any fuse taps since they are not at all necessary. I ran two rca to headphone jacks but on second thought I'm going to buy a powered iphone cable so I dont have to unplug the blackberry device in order to charge my iphone. Also, the unit allows for two jacks. No need to cut holes in your glovebox as there are several holes to get cables through.

For the xcarlink unit I tapped into the 5 amp communication fuse on the top fuse panel. It's the one next to the green 30 amp fuse. This circuit is hot at all times so that you can use your aux input (not bluetooth unless u put this on a constant circuit as well) when the car is completely off. I plugged a 2 amp fuse into the empty suspension leveling circuit on the bottom fuse panel for usb power. It will power on when the car is in accessory mode.

The sound is excellent.

Last edited by r1racer; 11-08-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default xcarlink cables reversed

I spent a fair bit of time trying to determine why the MMI system did not work with the XcarLink before realizing that the two fiber optic cables that are part of the snap in connector on the back of the Xcarlink main box were reversed. I switched the factory connections and it worked.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power source for usb and x-link.

I have followed all these great instruction and have this set-up in my car and works great!! Thank you for the work up.

However I use bluetooth for just about everything. When I turn off my car the gateway never turns off thus staying connected to my phone. I use a bluetooth speaker at work and I am always connected at home with various items. I have to keep turning off the (gateway) bluetooth when I get out of the car. What fuse can I use that will cut off just like the bluetooth my car came equiped with? Or do I need to seperate the power sources?? X-link on a fuse that is always on like Fuel-pump, or communication and USB adapter of something else that cuts off when the key is out? If the USB adapter needs to be seperated I am looking for a a answer as to were I can hoop it up to fuction like the one that came on my car.

Thanks agian for the write up it truly is a great thing.

05 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro
Deep Blue,18' Black rims, Eibach Lowering spings,
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mikehoormann
I have followed all these great instruction and have this set-up in my car and works great!! Thank you for the work up.

However I use bluetooth for just about everything. When I turn off my car the gateway never turns off thus staying connected to my phone. I use a bluetooth speaker at work and I am always connected at home with various items. I have to keep turning off the (gateway) bluetooth when I get out of the car. What fuse can I use that will cut off just like the bluetooth my car came equiped with? Or do I need to seperate the power sources?? X-link on a fuse that is always on like Fuel-pump, or communication and USB adapter of something else that cuts off when the key is out? If the USB adapter needs to be seperated I am looking for a a answer as to were I can hoop it up to fuction like the one that came on my car.

Thanks agian for the write up it truly is a great thing.

05 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro
Deep Blue,18' Black rims, Eibach Lowering spings,
Use a 5 amp fuse on the bottom panel. That will cut the power supply when the car is off.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r1racer
Use a 5 amp fuse on the bottom panel. That will cut the power supply when the car is off.
I was having the same issue. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by r1racer
2 amp not 5.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi
I have installed, as per instructions into my 08 RS6.

About 50% of the time on start up I have no radio or poor reception, the other 50% everything works perfectly?
Old 10-24-2015, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just did the install..but i get static...do you guys know what could cause this ptoblem...i want the sound to be as crystal clear as possible...any ideas?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by youngpaco8
Just did the install..but i get static...do you guys know what could cause this ptoblem...i want the sound to be as crystal clear as possible...any ideas?
audio wiring should use properly shielded cables and good clean jacks.
the rest of the system is digital and will not produce static
also what do you use as the source of the sound? Do you run an app on your phone?
Old 10-25-2015, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by floatdrop
Hi
I have installed, as per instructions into my 08 RS6.

About 50% of the time on start up I have no radio or poor reception, the other 50% everything works perfectly?
you got 50% music and 100% RS6. I would not complain much with this setup

Quick Reply: DIY: Streaming Bluetooth Music via MMI