A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Got rear ended yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got rear ended yesterday...

I got rear ended yesterday. Thankfully no one was hurt. I had 3 other friends with me too. Thank god they were okay.

Of course this wasn't my fault, but the dude came out and blaming me for it...and telling me, his car got more damage than mine, so we should just call it even....LOL. Nerve of people these days. Thankfully there was off duty cop passing by and asked me if I want to call the police, I told him "Yes please." I do have little headache from back of my head hitting little hard to the headrest, but I am fine now.

Now I need a advice from my fellow Audi members who knows what is the next step for me since this is my first ever accident. Officer told me, I can come pick up the police report in 5 days, so it looks like after I get the police report, I will call the other guy's insurance company and someone from his insurance company will come to my house and look at the damage and give me an estimate? I heard from others that I should get an estimate from the body shop first before insurance guy comes in, so I can give the insurance guy this is the quote I got before he low ***** me?

Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows good body shop in Edison, NJ...My car is 2007 A6.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

You should call the other guys insurance agent and your insurance agent immediately. Do not wait 5 days. You can always follow up with the police report later.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
You should call the other guys insurance agent and your insurance agent immediately. Do not wait 5 days. You can always follow up with the police report later.
I don't know his insurance company...Only thing I have is the case # police officer gave me. Should I at least call my insurance and tell them the case #? But does it really matter to call the insurance company when there is no police report yet?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Call your insurance company and let them know as soon as possible. In rear end accidents, it's almost always the car behind that is 100% at fault. ( In chain collisions, the last car is almost always at fault also.) The guy that hit you knows this, and was trying to get out of it. Let your insurance company handle it, and get your car fixed at the shop of your choice (either at Audi, or a shop that specializes in high end european cars. If you have collision on your car, then your insurance company will pay first then go after his insurance to pay for the damages. If you don't, then you will be going after his insurance company directly (with assistance from yours). His insurance company will then contact you and have your car appraised for the cost of repair. Do not let them repair at their recommended shop - you have the choice of where you want it repaired. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Call your insurance ASAP
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 AM
gkb
AudiWorld Member

call first, but his insurance, policy number, plates, address, car model, year etc. all the goodies will be on the back of the police report!
Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use a body shop in staten island called the polishing pad. Excellent work and all work done there is from word of mouth. They are not affiliated with any insurance companies so they do not take short cuts to please the insurance companies.

Be careful where you bring you car since if the shop is directly working and preferred shop of the insurance company then they will try to get the car fixed for the least amount. They may take shortcuts and use used parts and non oem.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone! I just called my insurance company this morning. Agent told me someone from the claim office will contact me tomorrow.

I made an appointment with Bell Audi in Edison. I had an oil change there before, but anything like this. They say they can take a look at the car and able to give me an estimate...So I figured since it's Audi dealer, it will do perfect job....Anyone have any experience on this dealer from the past working on the body damage?

Damage I am looking at right now seems like this:

cracked rear bumper
one of my exhaust muffler got cracked and pushed in and hit the rear tire and broke the cover in there also.
need alignment seems like

These are the damages that I can see so far with my eyes...Sigh....Who knows what they will find once they bring her up...

Just another quick question. I'm not trying to sell her anytime soon, but if I did, will this accident make the value of my car much lower? I figured it will, since even I wouldn't want to buy a used car that has been into an accident...sigh..
Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

pay the difference and have the shop order an s6 rear valence and a set of double tips!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The_Mizarc
pay the difference and have the shop order an s6 rear valence and a set of double tips!
Haha, I was thinking about that too!!!!...but wouldn't it void my warranty if I install different exhaust instead of stock? Also, will it look like I am just S6 wanna be?....

Quick Reply: Got rear ended yesterday...