Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads? - AudiWorld Forums

Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi A6 / S6 / RS 6 > A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
Log In 


A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007-present

Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
AudiWorld Super User
 
beep-beep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 7,170
Default Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?

I used to change rotors only when they worn. But my BMW friends tell me that modern German cars require changing brake rotors every time I change brake pads. is it so?

Which pads to choose: Hawk HP, Pagid or OEM? I do not care about brake dust. I do not want sinking feeling of cold racing pads. I enjoy the "my brakes are awersome" feeling with current OEM brakes. and I hate GreenStuff.

Also just for my education, why Audi puts a single piston brakes on A6 while even Subaru uses two piston setup on much smaller and cheaper cars.
__________________
2009 A3 2.0TFSI quattro
2006 A6 Avant quattro
1996 A6 Avant quattro 194K miles - RIP
beep-beep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Show-me State
Posts: 201
Default

I do not agree with your friend.
There is a minimum thickness specified by every auto manufacturers.
If you take your rotors to the place like O'Reilly, they will tell you if they can be turned or not.

It depends on your driving style, but my experience has been every 3rd brake pads required new rotor (only one turning of rotors). Typical scenario has been like: original pads and rotors, 2nd pads with turned rotors at 50k miles, and 3rd pads with new rotors around 100k miles.

I replaced rotors, brake pads, brake fluid, and upper control arm bushings for my 06 A6 around 98K miles. I had some pads left but I replaced them while I was replacing the bushings for control arm. My rotors were too thin to be turned.
audi bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Huey52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 1,572
Default

I concur with this advice and typically follow myself.

However I've had rotors that became pitted and grooved far earlier, so bottom line check them regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi bug View Post
..Typical scenario has been like: original pads and rotors, 2nd pads with turned rotors at 50k miles, and 3rd pads with new rotors around 100k miles.
...
__________________
2016 TTS Sepang Blue/Rotor Gray Tech B&O

Prior:
2013 allroad Monsoon Gray
2011 A5 Ice Silver
Huey52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:58 AM   #4
AudiWorld Super User
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 4,595
Default

What's the cost to turn rotors nowadays (even though they're not supposed to be machined) ? Re-use the rotors if they're still in very good shape.

I see new OE rotors for this car for $50 each.
__________________
'06 A6Q Avant | Premium
'11 A4TQ | 8spd | Prem+ | Sport Pkg | Micrometal | Tips
'15 Q5 | Prem+ | B&O

uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 433
Default

In my experience, I had to replace rotors every time I changed pads on both my Audi and Mercedes. On my previous domestic and Japanese cars, I didn't change the rotors until the 3rd pad change.

I believe the real difference is the pads. The Audi OEM pads have a lot of metallic particles (the reason for heavy brake dust) and they wear out the rotors rather quickly. I replaced my pads with Akebonos and they seem to hold their claim of being rotor friendly.

If you don't care about the brake dust, then I'd stick with the OEM. Never used Hawk HPS but I hear they perform well as well. I'm using the Akebonos and have been extremely happy with the performance and the elimination of dust. The only issue I have is that aftermarket pads might not have the exact dimension as the OEMs. This causes rattle/clunk noise when going over road reflectors. My OEMs made this noise as well but the Akebonos definitely make more.
__________________
2009 A6 3.0T Prestige Non-sport
2006 A6 3.2Q
NR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 77
Default

Great questions which are easy to determine, if the rotors are below minimum specifications they need replaced. Audi does not, due to weight requirement (or needed lack there of), have rotors with enough "meat" to resurface--so no turning needed. We do see about 50/50 on having to replace rotors with pads, so you have a good chance pads will do it. Since we only deal in OEM we too love the feel and abilities of what came factory on your Audi. There are many aftermarket and performance options but our words of wisdom are to be careful! There are great offering as long as you get the whole upgrade package, if you just pick the pads for performance you run the risk of noise and worse loss of stopping ability. If you are looking to match what you have on there now at a good price we ask that you check us out. We love to talk Audi if you have additional questions.
Loree
Loree-AudiUSAParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Show-me State
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR04 View Post
In my experience, I had to replace rotors every time I changed pads on both my Audi and Mercedes. On my previous domestic and Japanese cars, I didn't change the rotors until the 3rd pad change.

I believe the real difference is the pads. The Audi OEM pads have a lot of metallic particles (the reason for heavy brake dust) and they wear out the rotors rather quickly. I replaced my pads with Akebonos and they seem to hold their claim of being rotor friendly.

If you don't care about the brake dust, then I'd stick with the OEM. Never used Hawk HPS but I hear they perform well as well. I'm using the Akebonos and have been extremely happy with the performance and the elimination of dust. The only issue I have is that aftermarket pads might not have the exact dimension as the OEMs. This causes rattle/clunk noise when going over road reflectors. My OEMs made this noise as well but the Akebonos definitely make more.
NR04,
I followed your advise here and used Akebono pads.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2801452

I totally agree with your review. Akebono has a lot less brake durst. It doesn't have initial bite that OEM has, but it has braking power of OEM once you pass the intial stage.
I think it is easier to modulate than OEM.

Amazon has them for $84. EUR1111 is for 321mm rotor.

http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR111...ar=1&carId=023
audi bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi bug View Post
NR04,
I followed your advise here and used Akebono pads.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2801452

I totally agree with your review. Akebono has a lot less brake durst. It doesn't have initial bite that OEM has, but it has braking power of OEM once you pass the intial stage.
I think it is easier to modulate than OEM.
Great! I still love them. I haven't used my wheel cleaner since I changed the pads. One question for you, are you experiencing any noise coming from the calipers? They rattle when going over the road reflectors and clunk when going from reverse to forward (pads shifting).
__________________
2009 A6 3.0T Prestige Non-sport
2006 A6 3.2Q
NR04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NorCal, USA
Posts: 1,465
Default

This is great - I purchased them from placeforbrakes.com last time, but it looks like amazon has a better price.

Do you know if amazon has the rear pads as well? part #?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi bug View Post
NR04,
I followed your advise here and used Akebono pads.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2801452

I totally agree with your review. Akebono has a lot less brake durst. It doesn't have initial bite that OEM has, but it has braking power of OEM once you pass the intial stage.
I think it is easier to modulate than OEM.

Amazon has them for $84. EUR1111 is for 321mm rotor.

http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR111...ar=1&carId=023
__________________
2006 A6 3.2 Quattro, Midnight blue/beige, Nav (retrofit), Koni FSD + Eibach springs,V1 hardwired (fusebox) - CD on dash, LED DRL, K-MACS, RS Style grill.
You can't call me a badge-ho - I'm de-BADGED!
Past:
2008 BMW 335i convertible (e93); 2007 BMW 335i coupe (e92); 2006 BMW 325i sedan (e90)

Banned from QuattroWorld
am_ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
 
uberwgn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 4,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR04 View Post

One question for you, are you experiencing any noise coming from the calipers? They rattle when going over the road reflectors and clunk when going from reverse to forward (pads shifting).
I've got the EUR1111 installed in the front of our A6 car. Do you have the anti rattle clips in place? Our pads don't move at all, no noises.
__________________
'06 A6Q Avant | Premium
'11 A4TQ | 8spd | Prem+ | Sport Pkg | Micrometal | Tips
'15 Q5 | Prem+ | B&O

uberwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brakes: Cost Pads Rotors ebod0000 A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion 122 09-14-2016 07:21 AM
Audi A6 FS: 370mm Alcon / Stasis Front Big Brake Kit! Allroad BBK N'Syncro Parts For Sale 8 08-08-2016 08:40 PM
Audi A4 2002 S4 6spd 98k rsixxer23 Vehicles For Sale 4 01-06-2016 03:25 AM
brake servo (booster) - is it worth to get a used one? elem A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion 2 09-02-2015 02:20 AM
Brake Sensor Confusion C6Silver Q7 Discussion 4 09-01-2015 08:46 PM


Tags
a6, audi, brake, cars, change, changing, chenge, german, pad, pads, replace, replacing, rotor, rotors, time, vehicles

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:30 PM.