A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NR04,

I don't have the noise you are talking about. You may check the spring to make sure that it is positioned properly. It should remove slack between the caliper and the caliper carrier.

am ver,

Here is the Akebono pad, EUR1348, for 302mm rear rotor. Amazon sells for $52.49.

http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR134...ar=1&carId=023
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I've got the EUR1111 installed in the front of our A6 car. Do you have the anti rattle clips in place? Our pads don't move at all, no noises.
+1 - mine don't rattle either.

Its been two years since my brakes were replaced. A few weeks ago, I was at the dealer and I was told my fronts were at 7mm and the rear were at 6mm - Does anyone know how many mm is new brake pad? Just trying to get an idea on how soon I am going got need new brakes.

Last edited by am_ver; 06-15-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by am_ver
+1 - mine don't rattle either.

Its been two years since my brakes were replaced. A few weeks ago, I was at the dealer and I was told my fronts were at 7mm and the rear were at 6mm - Does anyone know how many mm is new brake pad? Just trying to get an idea on how soon I am going got need new brakes.
New pads are 14mm.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Loree-AudiUSAParts
Great questions which are easy to determine, if the rotors are below minimum specifications they need replaced. Audi does not, due to weight requirement (or needed lack there of), have rotors with enough "meat" to resurface--so no turning needed. We do see about 50/50 on having to replace rotors with pads, so you have a good chance pads will do it. Since we only deal in OEM we too love the feel and abilities of what came factory on your Audi. There are many aftermarket and performance options but our words of wisdom are to be careful! There are great offering as long as you get the whole upgrade package, if you just pick the pads for performance you run the risk of noise and worse loss of stopping ability. If you are looking to match what you have on there now at a good price we ask that you check us out. We love to talk Audi if you have additional questions.
Loree
Great. I will get OEM pads. I see a lot of people opt for the ceramic pads due to lower dust, but I really hate the "no initial bite and springy feeling" of ceramics.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by beep-beep
but I really hate the "no initial bite and springy feeling" of ceramics.
Beeps, the standard Akebono pads have performance, including cold stopping power, vitrually equivalent to an OE pad. They might have slightly less overall braking power.

Textar was supposed to be coming out with a new pad that is much cleaner.

The Audis are now transitioning to dust-free ceramic pads. Many mfrs have done the same over the past few years.

You could buy OE pads from the dealership and see if you get the newer compound that's been released. We had new pads (and rotors) fitted to the rear of our 2006 wagon and they have 75% less dust compared to the car's original pads.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if its my imagination or not, my 2011 A6's brake pads are less dusty than my 08 A6's. Does anybody know if they are the same part number?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

It's not your imagination. My 2011 A5 has very little dust as well. I suspect Audi listened to their customer laments and went with a new pad composition (ceramic?).

Originally Posted by The G Man
Not sure if its my imagination or not, my 2011 A6's brake pads are less dusty than my 08 A6's. Does anybody know if they are the same part number?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
It's not your imagination. My 2011 A5 has very little dust as well. I suspect Audi listened to their customer laments and went with a new pad composition (ceramic?).
If Audi did indeed went to ceramic pads, I must say I do not feel any braking differance. In the pass where I have use aftermarket ceramic pads, I can feel less of a initial bite as far as stopping power. I had to step on the brake pedal more to stop at the same distance as my oem pads.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by audi bug
NR04,

I don't have the noise you are talking about. You may check the spring to make sure that it is positioned properly. It should remove slack between the caliper and the caliper carrier.

am ver,

Here is the Akebono pad, EUR1348, for 302mm rear rotor. Amazon sells for $52.49.

http://www.amazon.com/Akebono-EUR134...ar=1&carId=023
Thanks, I'll check them again. I had a little bit of noise even with the OEM pads. Searching the forum, there were several people who have noticed this issue with our calipers as well. I had an independent Audi mechanic take a look and he confirmed that there were play in the calipers. Maybe I need new anti-rattle springs.

By the way, for everyone's information, I do not notice any degradation in braking power from Akebonos. It does have less initial bite, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I feel these pads provide better modulation.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't feel any degradation in the 'bite' when I switched over from OEM to Akebono's.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I need to change rotors every time changing brake pads?