A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
View Poll Results: if you are unhappy with your audi, what would be your next car?
BMW
28.57%
FIAT
0%
HONDA
0%
TOYOTA
14.29%
VW
14.29%
Jaguar
0%
LandRover
0%
Mercedes Benz
28.57%
Skoda
0%
None of the above
14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seckler17
Yes, they replaced the fuel pump 2 times before they checked the fuel filter. I called AOA to document the ongoing issue with the fuel pumps and AOA actually contacted the dealer and told them that there must be something causing these fuel pumps to fail. My car was under CPO warranty when they replaced the fuel pump the first time, so each subsequent time it was replaced under the new parts warranty.
i got the fuel filter replaced but still the same problem. the car is back to audi again and they are checking the wires. really frustrating. did they replace your fuel filter and everything got sorted?
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Crank position sensor? Sounds like the typical symptoms.

Jason
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason@ECSTuning
Crank position sensor? Sounds like the typical symptoms.

Jason
Hi Jason,

would crank position sensor cause the engine to die while driving?

thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, they replaced the fuel pump 2 times before they checked the fuel filter. I called AOA to document the ongoing issue with the fuel pumps and AOA actually contacted the dealer and told them that there must be something causing these fuel pumps to fail. My car was under CPO warranty when they replaced the fuel pump the first time, so each subsequent time it was replaced under the new parts warranty.
Hi,
Also, I would like to know if there is anything i should do to prevent them from overcharging me. THey initially thought it was the fuel pump and charged me £700 including labour. Now they are looking at the car and they should not charge me as the car was not fixed. if tomorrow they call me and ask to pay them £££, what shall I do? any suggestions? thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by mh644
Hi Jason,

would crank position sensor cause the engine to die while driving?

thanks
Absolutely!

The two biggest signs of a faulty crank position sensor are starting issues and randomly stalling while driving.

Jason
Old 08-03-2011, 04:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jason@ECSTuning
Absolutely!

The two biggest signs of a faulty crank position sensor are starting issues and randomly stalling while driving.

Jason
is it an easy DIY?
Mine is 2005 audi a6 new shape 2.0 TDI.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I'm not too familair with TDI models, but if its like anything else its a pretty simple DIY. Usually theres only one screw that holds the sensor in.

Once you remove that the sensor slides out and then you just have to un clip it from the wiring harness.

Jason
Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mh644
Hi,
Also, I would like to know if there is anything i should do to prevent them from overcharging me. THey initially thought it was the fuel pump and charged me £700 including labour. Now they are looking at the car and they should not charge me as the car was not fixed. if tomorrow they call me and ask to pay them £££, what shall I do? any suggestions? thanks
Unfortunatley or fortunatley for me I don't know what it cost to relace the fuel pump, all of mine have been done under warranty. I would look up the cost of the part online and check there labor cost and see how much they are marking up the parts and what they charge for labor. The dealership feels this is a new issue with the car dieing right after I start it. They feel it is the sensor in the engine that reads the key signal. They think the engine is shutting down because it cant read the signal the key is giving off. They have called Audi regional support and are woring with them on the issue. I will post an update as soon as I get ont from Audi.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunatley or fortunatley for me I don't know what it cost to relace the fuel pump, all of mine have been done under warranty. I would look up the cost of the part online and check there labor cost and see how much they are marking up the parts and what they charge for labor. The dealership feels this is a new issue with the car dieing right after I start it. They feel it is the sensor in the engine that reads the key signal. They think the engine is shutting down because it cant read the signal the key is giving off. They have called Audi regional support and are woring with them on the issue. I will post an update as soon as I get ont from Audi.
i will trade mine in as soon as it gets fixed(!) will get a more reliable japanese car for a while. it's been a nightmare!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Having problems with my 2001.5 s4

So i am having similar problem with my 2001.5 audi s4 6speed. I would start the car, no matter if i let it idle or i take it for a drive, about 10 minutes it would randomly shut off, or sometimes if i shut it off myself, it wont start back up. Then once the car cools down it starts right back up. (No over heating problems) I know its not the fuel pump, i know its not the fuel pump relay, I actually tried unpluging the fuel pump while car idle, its a different kind of engine shut down, when you unplug the fuel pump, car chokes for a few seconds then shuts off, the problem that i am having is almost feels like someone simply shut the car off, but the dash still shows key to be on the ON position, does not choke missfire or anything, just a simple shut off, when it runs, it actually runs great, no check engine light. could this be caused by a bad crank shaft position sensor? i checked some of the ground wires and they seem fine. installed a brand new battery as well. any ideas??

Quick Reply: Engine dies while driving. Takes 5-10 minutes then fires up and runs!