A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

EPC Warning Light and other wonderful things

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPC Warning Light and other wonderful things

In the last couple of weeks my Parking Brake Malfunction Light came on and my (DS) fog light went out. Do the easy first; I’ll change the fog light. Switched out the bulb, it looked fine but while I’m here might as well put in the new bulb. New bulb produced same result no light. Everything still runs good so I’m not worried and this will give me something to research/work on this week.

Had a Dr. visit yesterday (approx 100 miles) with nothing out of the ordinary. Jumped back into the car to take my boy to his baseball game and received the EPC light and unable to shift out of park. Researched EPC failures and found if you just clear the codes the car will unlock the transmission. It worked and I can shift.

Guys take a look at the read out from B4 the EPC light and if I get a chance after work I’ll run a new scan and post. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A6 3.2 with 117,000 miles

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnjjm69nsl...eage.docx?dl=0

Last edited by northfork; 05-28-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found one thing that may be the cause, on start up the voltage drops in the 7.60 range (not every time). Is this normal and would that be the battery or voltage regulator?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

99% it's your battery. When the battery is weak the management software starts to shut down non-essential systems on start up or if the voltage drops below threshold to conserve as much power as possible so the car can start. The result is bunch of fault codes and EPC and sometimes ABS lights on the dashboard.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply haloguy. Advance Auto has one for $135.00 (AutoCraft Gold) not bad. Looks like I'm doing a battery tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did the battery change and erased the codes and felt good for about 24 hours. I took it for a 30 min drive last night and 3 different stop and starts with no trouble. She started up fine this morning and was no trouble when I left work until that last errand of the day. Then

After 5+ attempts to clear the code with my Actron I went looking for the button under the ash tray. Found it and was able to shift it out of park. I hope someone can help.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you use VAG-COM to clear the codes? There are two codes for ABS. If you just use the "clear all codes" modes in the scan codes part it will not do it right. You have to go to the ABS module and use the "clear codes" command from there. Same for the tranny. Clear the ABS first and then do tranny.

Other one issue with this code may be that the TCM got wet. Did this car by chance had the sunroof drains clogged and water got in the footwells? That may be the cause.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did use the Vag-Com but used the “Clear all DTCs” button. I’ll do it first thing tomorrow and give it a test drive. It's never had a water problem in the foot wells since my purchase (early 2011). Thanks again haloguy.

Last edited by northfork; 06-03-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I cleared the codes inside the modules, ABS first and Tranny second then went for a drive. This is the print out after codes cleared.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wioosilyf7...%203.docx?dl=0

The EPC light came on as soon as the gear shift hit Park. I used a screwdriver and pushed the release button under the ash tray (light went out) and headed home. Pulled in and as soon as the stick hit Park the light came back. This is the print out after I got home.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rbyaovn80...%204.docx?dl=0

Last edited by northfork; 06-03-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by northfork
I cleared the codes inside the modules, ABS first and Tranny second then went for a drive. This is the print out after codes cleared.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wioosilyf7...%203.docx?dl=0

The EPC light came on as soon as the gear shift hit Park. I used a screwdriver and pushed the release button under the ash tray (light went out) and headed home. Pulled in and as soon as the stick hit Park the light came back. This is the print out after I got home.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rbyaovn80...%204.docx?dl=0

OK there are five problems:

"01496 - Bulb for Fog-Lamps; Left (L22)
010 - Open or Short to Plus"

Check fuse for fog lights, if good
Check your left side fog light bulb, if goof
Clean the bulb socket and check wiring
--------------------------------------------------

"Address 42: Door Elect, Driver
Cannot be reached"

"Address 52: Door Elect, Pass.
Cannot be reached"

Do the windows work?
Do the locks work?
---------------------------------------------------

"02735 - Bulb for Tail Light 3; Right
009 - Open or Short to Ground"

"01519 - Bulb for Back-Up Lights; Right (M17)

"01506 - Bulb for Rear Fog; Right (L47)

This may be water leaking to the right tail light or the connector is corroded A known problem on C6 A6

"Part No SW: 4F0 910 801 HW: 4F0 907 80
02443 - Control Head
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON"

This looks like bad Parking Brake Module
Parking Brake Module

After replacement needs to be coded with VCDS

"Address 77: Telephone
Cannot be reached"

Does your A6 have telephone connector in the armrest?
Old 06-04-2015, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK looked at the post drive printout.

"002129 - Park/Neutral Switch Input Circuit
P0851 - 006 - Short to Ground"

"005668 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!)
P1624 - 008"

Check voltage on the jump terminals in engine bay. This guy had the same problem and it was solved by installing fresh battery. If voltage is within specs clear the codes and see if they will come back again. ??? Possibly related to the bad parking brake module???

After clearing the Tranny codes, and before driving do this: VCDS TCM Basic Settings Procedures

You can also take off the shifter surround and clean up the contacts. The area is prone to spills as the cup holders are right next to the MMI buttons and shifter gate.
--------------------------------------------------------

"17090 - Transmission Range Sensor (F125)
P0706 - 000 - Implausible Signal - MIL O"

This is code for faulty Multifunction Switch. Do the PRND321 indicator in the instrument cluster blink or show in negative? This may also cause the above problems with the P/N switch. The switch can be changed pretty easy as it's located on outside of the tranny.

Does the car sometimes not upshift when it's cold outside? Feels like there is no power?
--------------------------------------------------------

"01119 - Gear Recognition Signal
000 - -"

I believe this is another symptom of the bad MF switch.
---------------------------------------------------------

All the other codes addressed in my first post.

Quick Reply: EPC Warning Light and other wonderful things